#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Stupid Fat Activist, Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday Comes Out As Anorexic

By Amanda Prestigiacomo - The Daily Wire

Plus-size model and fat activist Tess Holliday revealed last week that she has anorexia and is in recovery.

“I’m anorexic & in recovery,” Holliday wrote to Twitter on May 1. “I’m not ashamed to say it out loud anymore. I’m the result of a culture that celebrates thinness & equates that to worth, but I get to write my own narrative now. I’m finally able to care for a body that I’ve punished my entire life & I am finally free.”

When folks online questioned Holliday’s eating disorder, noting that she’s obese, the model wrote a post claiming her detractors “don’t know science.”

“Not the ‘but your [sic] fat how are you anorexic’ comments. Y’all don’t know how science & body works huh. My technical diagnosis is anorexia nervosa & yes, I’m still not ashamed. I’m too damn happy for y’all to even come close to dimming my shine.”

Responding to criticism concerning Holliday’s “body acceptance” activism, she said, “To everyone saying that I can’t possibly love myself and have an eating disorder, that is the actual definition of loving myself. Being able to prioritize myself & to be in recovery. I’m more self aware than any of my critics but you know, y’all go off.”

In an Instagram post, Holliday similarly talked about her weight and scolded people who tell her she’s “looking healthy lately.”

“To everyone that keeps saying ‘you’re looking healthy lately’ or ‘You are losing weight, keep it up!’ Stop. Don’t. Comment. On. My. Weight. Or. Perceived. Health. Keep. It. To. Yourself. Thanks.”

“Yes, I’ve lost weight — I’m healing from an eating disorder & feeding my body regularly for the first time in my entire life,” she continued. “When you equate weight loss with ‘health’ & place value & worth on someone’s size, you are basically saying that we are more valuable now because we are smaller & perpetuating diet culture… & that’s corny as hell. NOT here for it.”

“For folks like me that are trying to reframe our relationships with our bodies & heal, hearing comments about weight is triggering as hell,” she said. “It sets us back in our progress — and when people working on themselves see you commenting to me that way, it hurts THEM, not just me. I can take it (I shouldn’t have to, but I can) but they didn’t ask for that trauma, ok? If you can’t tell someone they look nice without making it about their size, then baby, please don’t say nuthin at all.”

A post shared by on

As noted by AdWeek, Holliday founded the “body positivity” “Eff Your Beauty Standards” movement back in 2013 and holds huge influence, racking up millions of followers on social media and working with brands like H&M, Benefit Cosmetics, eBay, and ModCloth.

Chelsea Kronengold, associate director of communications at the National Eating Disorders Association, told PEOPLE magazine that Holliday, though she is obese, can be suffering from anorexia:

People with anorexia experience “weight loss or difficulties maintaining a ‘appropriate’ body weight for an individual and their medical history,” Kronengold tells PEOPLE. “It involves restricting foods or calories, and it can affect people across all demographics, so it can affect people of all ages, races, genders, sexualities, socioeconomic status, abilities and even body weight and size.”

“Eating disorders aren’t about weight. And quite frankly, they’re not even necessarily about food,” she says. “They are mental illnesses that are biological, psychological, and social in the way that they develop. And so food is really that mechanism that someone is using to either restrict or binge as a form of control and to cope with emotions, including trauma.”

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    her anorexia isn't working

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-11-2021), RBP (05-14-2021)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

#AttentionWhore

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    her anorexia isn't working

When folks online questioned Holliday’s eating disorder, noting that she’s obese, the model wrote a post claiming her detractors “don’t know science.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    anorexia: Anorexia is characterized by a distorted body image, with an unwarranted fear of being overweight.
    Symptoms include trying to maintain a below-normal weight through starvation or too much exercise.
    Medical treatment may be needed to restore normal weight. Talk therapy can help with self-esteem and behavior changes.
    nothing about her weight is 'normal'

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    nothing about her weight is 'normal'

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I'm not even surprised at this point. To gain social status you need to 1. Be (self) diagnosed with a mental disorder and 2. Make sure you're a victim. It's an incredible trend. I can't see how it goes away at this point even? Does it just continue to get worse and worse from here forever?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (05-11-2021), RBP (05-14-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (05-11-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I'm not even surprised at this point. To gain social status you need to 1. Be (self) diagnosed with a mental disorder and 2. Make sure you're a victim. It's an incredible trend. I can't see how it goes away at this point even? Does it just continue to get worse and worse from here forever?
    It would be interesting to get the opinion of @lost in melb. and @RBP and see what they think about it since they work in that kinda general field.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-13-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Munchausen's

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I work by locating what the clients wants to do to make their life rich and meaningful, then I help them to remove barriers to achieving that. There's a lot of societal confusion at the moment, little in the way of structure to the culture (anything goes) so no surprise it's a trend that people get lost in doing weird things for attention as a lifestyle. Narcissism is rife and encouraged in the US in particularly.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-14-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (05-13-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Narcissism is rife and encouraged in the US in particularly.
    when you want to encourage a country being driven into the ground, on purpose

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I work by locating what the clients wants to do to make their life rich and meaningful, then I help them to remove barriers to achieving that. There's a lot of societal confusion at the moment, little in the way of structure to the culture (anything goes) so no surprise it's a trend that people get lost in doing weird things for attention as a lifestyle. Narcissism is rife and encouraged in the US in particularly.
    What about this trend of people like the one in the OP doing all this self-diagnosing of their "mental illness(es)"? It's been getting worse and worse as the years go by.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    What about this trend of people like the one in the OP doing all this self-diagnosing of their "mental illness(es)"? It's been getting worse and worse as the years go by.
    Too much time on their hands & the internet

I think that diagnosis is used as an excuse. I try and avoid labels unless it's for a legal application with specific criteria, for example more time for an exam or other type of special consideration.

P.s. I don't think she's anorexic, lol.
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 05-14-2021 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    You may have the same ruminating anxieties as I. Social trends used to fade and self-correct. The pendulum would swing. But there are portions of this that are so ingrained, they aren't even questioned. That's just the way it is. So asking about the absurdity is like questioning if the sky is blue. I expected a return to sanity long ago, but no. Even a pandemic didn't change it; that tells you just how deep rooted it is. In the absence of a war on our soil? It's has to be parental and generational. But these people are breeding, so I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    It would be interesting to get the opinion of @lost in melb. and @RBP and see what they think about it since they work in that kinda general field.
    I don't see it as a mental health issue at all. There is an outcome to eliminating social limits. People have to police people. Societies have to have standards or there is no society. Once the "society" left the location and went to the cloud (among other reasons), there are no standards because everyone can exist in their thought bubble with the rest of the like-thinkers. We do it to an extent, that's why we have been here all this time.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

FBD (05-15-2021), lost in melb. (05-15-2021)