Thread: Softball Coach, Team Forced To Apologize For Wearing Sombreros On Cinco De Mayo

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Softball Coach, Team Forced To Apologize For Wearing Sombreros On Cinco De Mayo

By Chrissy Clark - The Daily Wire

A collegiate softball team in western Michigan sparked a firestorm on social media for posting a photo of players in sombreros on Cinco de Mayo.

The official account for the Hope College softball team posted a photo of 10 players at an “informal team gathering,” wherein five players were donning sombreros. According to the school, the post drew ire for its alleged cultural appropriation of Mexican culture. Students contacted the administration expressing outrage and demanding that the players be punished.

The post was promptly removed and replaced with an apology from Coach Mary VandeHoef, who took the blame for posting the photo to the team’s account.

“By wearing the sombreros, we turned a culture into a costume, and by posting the image, we demonstrated a lack of awareness. That was wrong,” VandeHoef said. “I have reached out to the Center for Diversity and Inclusion leadership and our Athletics administration to take the next step forward and I’m committed to developing resources for our team … I am sorry it was at the expense of students and a culture that are [sic] often marginalized and misrepresented.”

Hope College administrators sent out an email claiming that a photo of teens wearing sombreros caused “pain” for the school’s “Latinx” employees and students.

“The original post featured a picture of softball players wearing sombreros at an informal team gathering,” the email reads. “In her apology, Coach Mary VandeHoef recognized the hurt caused by turning a culture into a costume — a hurt that is felt especially deep by our Latinx students, staff, and faculty. We, too, acknowledge the pain this caused, we apologize, and we stand with our Latinx community.”

The statement was signed by the school’s President Matthew Scogin, Chief Officer for Culture Inclusion Sonja Trent-Brown, Dean of Students Richard Frost, and Director of Athletics Tim Schoonveld.

Hope College indicated that it has no intention of removing any coaches or players, instead, it has opted to “recommit to listening, learning, grace, belonging, and understanding.

“Let’s make our campus a more racially just and equitable community,” the email concluded.

Hope College did not respond to The Daily Wire’s request for comment.

In recent years, colleges have crafted guidelines and policies to ensure that students remain within politically correct boundaries. Campus Reform reported that even small colleges in Pennsylvania are cracking down on cultural appropriation in Halloween costumes.

In 2019, Dickinson College’s Women’s and Gender Resource Center posted a guide on “How to Assess the Appropriateness of a Halloween Costume.” The guide asks students to avoid any costume that is “offensive to any race, religion, culture, belief, [or] group of people,” or a costume that may reinforce stereotypes.

Politically correct standards, including cultural appropriation, have moved beyond the campus as well. In August, pop singer Adele was accused of cultural appropriation for styling her hair in Bantu knots and wearing a Jamaican flag bikini. In April, pop star Justin Bieber was accused of cultural appropriation for the sin of wearing dreadlocks

Model Kendall Jenner was also accused of cultural appropriation after launching a tequila brand she claimed to have been working on for nearly four years.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    #TheHorror

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

teabelly (05-13-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Between Cinco and Mother's Day I had to finally delete insta.

It was the last social media I used. Facebook went years ago, Twitter I only ever lurked, but I liked Insta originally because it was just my own friends sharing pics of dogs and food

On Cinco, a bunch of my buddy's girls posted endlessly all about how horrible the date is appropriated and similar feel-bad info. One of them had to point out that May 5 is an important date in other cultures too... which I'm guessing she found out moments before posting.

That's not all so grievous (even though they're posting for clout, not because they give a shit) but Mother's day really did me in. These same dummies posted all about how "On Mother's Day, let's remember all the people who want to be mothers that can't, all the people who have lost children" etc. etc. Ok... but... it's Mother's Day...

It's the 80/20 Rule where a small group of people that I could mute make the majority of these posts but it's not worth the energy. If they want to make even Mother's Day depressing, I can find far more enjoyable apps to waste my time

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-12-2021), FBD (05-12-2021), KevinD (05-12-2021), perrhaps (05-12-2021), Pony (05-12-2021), PorkChopSandwiches (05-12-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (05-12-2021)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

It was the last social media I used. Facebook went years ago, Twitter I only ever lurked, but I liked Insta originally because it was just my own friends sharing pics of dogs and food

On Cinco, a bunch of my buddy's girls posted endlessly all about how horrible the date is appropriated and similar feel-bad info. One of them had to point out that May 5 is an important date in other cultures too... which I'm guessing she found out moments before posting.

That's not all so grievous (even though they're posting for clout, not because they give a shit) but Mother's day really did me in. These same dummies posted all about how "On Mother's Day, let's remember all the people who want to be mothers that can't, all the people who have lost children" etc. etc. Ok... but... it's Mother's Day...

It's the 80/20 Rule where a small group of people that I could mute make the majority of these posts but it's not worth the energy. If they want to make even Mother's Day depressing, I can find far more enjoyable apps to waste my time
    I would add that people who do this type of wailing and teeth-gnashing have too much time on their hands, but, then again, here I am...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

FBD (05-12-2021), lost in melb. (05-13-2021)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    If they want to make even Mother's Day depressing, I can find far more enjoyable apps to waste my time
    https://parlor.me/

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perrhaps View Post
    I would add that people who do this type of wailing and teeth-gnashing have too much time on their hands, but, then again, here I am...
    They do, and that makes them kinda scary because you know they're watching and judging... I have a professional job, I don't need to get called out for a pic of me enjoying Canada Day or some shit (which in fact did happen) I'm just done.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    FUCK ME!!! IT IS GETTING EVER WORSE!

Who are these keyboard warriors? Name them!! Why does their opinion make any difference...... Mexico proudly sells sombreros to tourists from all over the word [pre-covid ] If they don't get offended why are WOKE arseholes up in arms?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Monk For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (05-17-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (05-14-2021)