Thread: Bill Maher Blasts Biden’s Idea Of Free College: ‘I’m Not F***ing Paying For That’

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Zounds Bill Maher Blasts Biden’s Idea Of Free College: ‘I’m Not F***ing Paying For That’

By Jon Brown - The Daily Wire

Comedian and HBO host Bill Maher excoriated higher education on his show last Friday, calling it a “grift” and likening it to Scientology.

“[College] is a racket that sells you a very expensive ticket to the upper middle class,” Maher said in a monologue that spanned more than six minutes.

“President Biden’s American Families Plan asks the taxpayers to pony up hundreds of billions so that everyone can go to college, and billions more for subsidized childcare so our kids can go to school while we go to school,” Maher continued.

“I know free college is a left-wing thing, but is it really liberal for someone who doesn’t go to college and makes less money to pay for people who do go and make more?” Maher asked. “Especially since colleges have turned into giant luxury daycare centers with overpaid babysitters anxious to indulge every student whim.”

“Why is China kicking our ass?” Maher later asked rhetorically. “Because in 2019, we issued more undergrad degrees in visual and performing arts than in computer and information science or math. Say what you want about Lori Laughlin. At least she understood that one good scam deserves another. In the immortal words of her [Laurie Laughlin’s] daughter, Olivia Jade, ‘I don’t know how much school I’m going to attend … but I do want the experience of, like, game days and partying.'”

“Yeah, I’m not f***ing paying for that,” Maher said, who went on to observe the disproportionate number of college students who have obtained high grades since 1960, as well as the staggering rate of college tuition compared to the rate of inflation.

“A wannabe librarian needs a master’s degree just to get an entry-level job filing books. I’ve heard this from so many nurses, and teachers, and administrators, rolling their eyes when relating how they needed to take some bulls*** course in order to advance in their field when, really, they already learn what they need by working the job,” he said.

“But in the grift that is our higher education, when you want to move up … you need to pay for more ‘education’ before we decide if you can do what you do,” Maher said. “F***, this is what Scientology does. Makes you keep taking courses to move up to the bridge of total freedom,” he added.

“The answer isn’t to make college free. The answer is to make it more unnecessary, which it is for most jobs,” Maher stated.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    that sells you a very expensive ticket to the upper middle class,”
    dont stop smoking that crack, bill

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i've got two teenagers, they need to get this free college shit figured out for this administration before the next one takes it away

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Mike Rowe's take on Maher:

[QUOTE][Mike Rowe

Off the Wall
    Mike - Bill Maher's current rant on higher ed is almost identical to everything you've been saying for the last thirteen years through mikeroweWORKS. I mean, like, literally identical. How do you feel? Ripped off? Flattered? Or maybe, a bit disturbed that you and Bill Maher see eye to eye on more than a few issues here of late…
    Tim Boyer
    Hi Tim
    If I were to learn that Bill Maher used mikeroweWORKS as a resource for the contents of his most recent rant, I’d be nothing but flattered.
    I built mikeroweWORKS, in part anyway, to be a resource for people who wanted to reconsider the conventional wisdom that college is the best path for the most people. However, everything I believe to be true regarding that issue, I’ve learned from researching the work of others. Likewise, everything I believe to be true about the profound unfairness of making taxpayers pay the tuition of those who wish to attend a university has already been articulated by a long list of people a lot more qualified than I.
    Point is, it’s important to give credit where it’s due. That’s partly why I’ve highlighted several of Bill’s recent rants on this page. He’s speaking what I believe to be the truth to a large audience that probably doesn’t want to hear it. That makes him credible. But it’s also true that the most persuasive people don’t care who gets the credit – especially when it comes to changing hearts and minds. And that’s what’s really at stake here.
    I want people to radically rethink higher education. Toward that end, I’ve always maintained that making a four-year degree “less expensive” is a great symptom, but a lousy goal. The better goal is to make a four-year degree less necessary than it currently is. That’s not an “anti-education” position. It’s a cry for rationality, proportionality, and common sense. The vast, overwhelming majority of jobs that require a diploma from a four-year school, should not. Some should, but most should not.When it comes to learning, we can’t keep presenting the most expensive path – college – as “the best path for the most people.” And we can’t make college cheaper by asking everyone else to pay for it. That’s part of what makes the whole proposition a “racket.”
    Bill Maher seems to agree, so I’m happy to share his video on this page. Does this mean I agree with everything in the video, or everything he says? Of course not. But he’s reaching an audience that I don’t have, with a message that I firmly support. For that reason, I hope his message has a lasting impact, regardless of where it originated.
    Mike
    PS In the attached video, Bill mentions a stat that I had never heard. “In 1960,” he says, “15% of college students received an “A.” Today, that number is 45%. That’s not because college graduates are getting smarter…”
    I’ll definitely be quoting that one down the road!/QUOTE]