Thread: Ambitious Queensland Year 12 student advertises Woolworths plastic bag for $300

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Stupid Ambitious Queensland Year 12 student advertises Woolworths plastic bag for $300

Brooke Rolfe - News.com.au

This “rare” Woolworths bag was advertised on Marketplace for $300.

An entrepreneurial teen has taken a unique approach to raising funds for a new outfit, advertising an old Woolworths item he claimed to be “rare”.

Brisbane high school student Casey Apiata in 2018 framed a single-use plastic bag from the retail giant, hopeful it would one day dramatically appreciate in value.

With his Deception Bay High School ball rapidly approaching, the senior student advertised his “unique” item and begun his search for potential buyers on Facebook Marketplace.

Casey ambitiously set the price of his “well kept” Woolworths “artefact” at $300.

In what he hoped would set it apart from others on the market, he told prospective buyers the bag had been kept sandwiched tightly into a photo frame for three years.

“I was sitting in my room one day and saw my framed plastic bag just sitting there so I thought I’d put it on marketplace as a joke,” he told news.com.au.

Woolworths and Coles ceased providing free single-use plastic bags in 2018 in favour of 15 cent thicker, reusable bags.

“In 2018 when the crackdown happened, I legit just framed it up and it’s been sitting around in my room,” he told The Scott Emerson Drive Show.

The teen landed on the lofty price tag after browsing costs of formal wear.

“I’ve been looking for suits and I’ve been struggling at work lately, so I need some extra money, and I thought it would be some fun,” he told the radio program.

Interest from multiple bidders

While his Marketplace ad was created in good humour, the teen had managed to attract a handful of serious bidders keen to help him out.

“Thrillhouse at Camp Hill has offered me $100 to showcase the artefact in their gallery,” he said.

“They were wanting to raise money for my suit.”

He had also been offered $100 by a pair of radio hosts, while a collector had offered him the same.

Casey told news.com.au an anonymous donor had since contacted him after seeing his ad and given him the $300 for his formal outfit.

If the framed bag ended up selling, he said the funds would help make tickets to the formal cheaper for his peers.

Other bags advertised

The teen wasn’t the only person trying to make a quick buck from selling old supermarket bags, with someone else selling a single-use bag from Coles for $50 on Marketplace.

Another ambitious seller on eBay has advertised a grey Woolworths bag for $50.

They claimed it was acquired in 2004 and described it as “used but in good condition”.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Better then nothing

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    If that's worth $300, then I am sitting on a gold mine worth of those plastic bags. Time to retire.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (06-15-2021)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

This just sold for 18k