Thread: Spotify sucks

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Rant Spotify sucks

Why do people like Spotify so much? They are now swallowing up podcasts and signing exclusivity rights with them, so the only way to listen to those pods any more is to use Spotify. I really love my podcast app already (Podcast Addict) and I don't want to have another app on my phone that does the same thing. But, because of what Spotify is doing, I signed up for the 3 month free trial and loaded the app on my phone.

I subscribed (Spotify calls it 'following') to all the pods I have on my other app and already I hate it. it has basically ZERO features when it comes to what you can do. I can't sort the podcasts, I can't mark all episodes as played unless I do it individually for every single episode, which is more than 1,000 eps when you add them all together from all the pods I subscribe to. You can't set the playback speed for each individual podcast. It doesn't 'delete' the episode after ypou are done playing it. I could go on and on and on.

Not sure how on earth Spotify became so big, but it really sucks. I can't see myself subscribing to it since I already have different services for music and for apps already, and Spotify is awful compared to both of those. I was hopeful that maybe I could combine my music and pods into one app, and maybe I will find that some day, but Spotify ain't it. I will just not listen to the podcasts that want to sign with Spotify exclusively and restrict their audience.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Took me a while to get used to the interface, its much better then Pandora. I also dont like the way they are dumping Rogan podcasts that they find offensive, but I guess for 100 million, you can let things slide

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    My mind is pretty quiet and I dont usually bother to listen to music or crap these past bunch of years. I never bothered to put the radio in my mustang, at the garage there's usually classic rock in the background but not really listened to per se.

So when I see rants like this, I'm just like...yeah, they wouldnt be getting my money one way or another

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Took me a while to get used to the interface, its much better then Pandora. I also dont like the way they are dumping Rogan podcasts that they find offensive, but I guess for 100 million, you can let things slide
    It's not just the interface, it's everything about it. It's pretty basic and useless, especially for something they expect you to pay for if you want to go premium.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I like being able to listen to the exact song or album I want, which you cant do with Pandora. It works well with my sonos, which is cool because the sonos app I fucking hate, but the speakers are so good

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    I like being able to listen to the exact song or album I want, which you cant do with Pandora. It works well with my sonos, which is cool because the sonos app I fucking hate, but the speakers are so good
    I don't use Pandora either, tried them once a looooooong time ago and that was it. I used to use Amazon Music Unlimited, but then they took away the ability to upload music to your library for songs they didn't have which pissed me off. So I switched from that to Deezer and have been using them for music for about a year now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Spotify will also play video if its available. So the Joe Rogan show you can watch, some songs have videos you can watch. Dont really need that on my phone when driving, but its cool on the desktop app

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I don't use Spotify for podcasts (I use Overcast) but like it for music.

Almost every album I've ever gone looking for is there, and I like the curated playlists. The 'discovery weekly' playlist is based on recent listening and has helped me find some great new artists. Some artists even have their own shared playlists which are good. I like that you can just go punch in "chill dinner music" or "pump up gym rock" whatever and find someone's playlist which hits the spot for whatever you're doing. It's easy enough to navigate and download stuff for offline listening too. The UI certainly isn't amazing but it's fine IMO.

Do any other services have good curated playlists like that? I know Apple music doesn't but that's the only other one I've tried in recent memory.
    Last edited by Godfather; 06-17-2021 at 03:46 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (06-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I'm a paid user of Spotify. I use it almost exclusively for the commercial free music that I want..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (07-20-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Since I had the 3 month free premium trial, I have been using it for music and on that front it seems okay, but as far as for podcasts, I still stand by my original impression, it absolutely sucks for podcasts.

I did find how you can 'upload' your own songs to Spotify so that they can be played from your 'liked' library, so that is a bonus. I might switch to Spotify for music and dump Deezer in September when my trial runs out, but I will still keep my Podcast Addict app for all my podcasts, except for anything that is 'Spotify Only' of course.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (07-20-2021), Muddy (07-20-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Tidal all the way for me. Lossless streaming.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Tidal all the way for me. Lossless streaming.
    I've been tempted to try Tidal for that too but then I know I'm going to want to upgrade to better headphones

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    I have Spotify because my daughter really wanted it and was willing to pay half (she's 18). I have Premium Duo - it allows 2 accounts

What is cool about it is that it has a good assortment of obscure things -- I remember an album I liked as a kid that my brother would play in his car (with his 8 track!) I was able to finally find it on Spotify after searching off and on for about 40 years(!)

If you're curious this is one of the songs of the album. It was the soundtrack to the movie The Wild Angels.

Simplistic and dumb to my ears now for sure, but hey, I was about 8 when I heard it first, cruising with my bro in his '66 Impala SS.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Has anyone tried Amazon music? I think a free version might be included with Prime but there's an $8/month unlimited version? I dono, I've never had a single person tell me they've even tried it

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Has anyone tried Amazon music? I think a free version might be included with Prime but there's an $8/month unlimited version? I dono, I've never had a single person tell me they've even tried it
    I used Amazon Music Unlimited. It was okay, but there was a lot of music that was not available. It's not a bad service, but there are better out there if you are gonna pay.