Thread: Microsoft debuts Windows 11, first major update in six years

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

Geeky Microsoft debuts Windows 11, first major update in six years

Microsoft has unveiled the next generation of its Windows software, called Windows 11, that has sleeker visual features and is more open to third-party apps.

The newest version of Microsoft’s flagship operating system announced will be a successor to today’s Windows 10, which the company introduced in 2015.

In a challenge to rival Apple, the company also announced that it won’t force app developers to pay fees to Microsoft for using its app store; and that Google’s popular Android apps will run on its new system.

Windows 11 is expected to become available later this year on new computers and other devices and as a free update for those with Windows 10. It includes a host of cosmetic upgrades, such as a new Start button, a revamped task bar and sounds, and under-the-hood features designed to boost speed and efficiency.

While opening more doors to third-party developers, it also further entrenches Microsoft’s workplace chatting tool Teams by making it easier to contact people when starting up.

Forrester analyst J.P. Gownder said the aesthetic, user-friendly improvements reflect CEO Satya Nadella’s promise to build products that people will “love,” not tolerate, though Gownder questioned whether Windows 11 is truly a new generation of software. The fact that it is built on the same core code base as Windows 10 might actually be a good thing, he added, because it could avoid the technical glitches that plagued the release of Windows Vista in 2007.

Microsoft’s virtual announcement event was itself affected by technical difficulties, forcing the company to recommend some viewers watch it on Twitter instead.

When it launched Windows 10 six years ago, Microsoft was hoping that the new operating system would help it rebuild loyalty among users who were increasingly relying on tablets, smartphones and other devices.

Windows has been a PC workhorse for decades. Its first version launched in 1985, offering computer novices a “graphical user interface” so they could click on icons and menus with a mouse button rather than simply type commands into a blank screen.

It’s been a core part of Microsoft’s business ever since, though its influence waned as PC sales declined with the rise of smartphones.

That could create problems for Apple, which has faced government scrutiny over its app store and a legal battle from Epic, the maker of the popular Fortnite game, which contends Apple has been gouging app makers by charging commissions ranging from 15 per cent to 30 per cent for in-app transactions because it forbids other options on its iPhone, iPad and iPod.

“I believe this will be problematic for Apple in its anti-trust dealings,” said tech analyst Patrick Moorhead. “Apple charging 30 per cent in its store and Microsoft charging 0 per cent and 15 per cent if you use its commerce engine. Global antitrust units are currently scrutinising Apple on this very point.”

Moorhead said the easier access to third-party apps, combined with the better user interface promised with Windows 11, could help Microsoft get a stronger hold in the premium tablet market, now dominated by the iPad.

AP

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    In a challenge to rival Apple, the company also announced that it won’t force app developers to pay fees to Microsoft for using its app store; and that Google’s popular Android apps will run on its new system.
    I bet they crash like *$&# to begin with.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I bet they crash like *$&# to begin with.
    that's a given...but what's also a given is that microsoft products are essentially spyware

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    This system probably contains the triggers that will activate all the vaccinated drones.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    Anybody acquired a copy yet?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Considering I really don't want any of my computers to look like a phone and also that the NEWEST laptop I have is 4th gen intel and W11 requires 5th gen.... Doesn't look like I'll be upgrading.

Everything else I have is still on Windows 7.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    This system probably contains the triggers that will activate all the vaccinated drones.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    So has anybody grabbed this yet? I'm reading that there's a lot of people that don't like it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    So has anybody grabbed this yet? I'm reading that there's a lot of people that don't like it.
    If on AMD wait, intel wrote the scheduler, Amd games perf is 15 % down currently, until it gets fixed.
    Bit shoddy, but exactly what intel desired.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

Pony (10-12-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I've got the offer. Gonna wait until after Christmas and do a fresh install.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-13-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kisugi View Post
    If on AMD wait, intel wrote the scheduler, Amd games perf is 15 % down currently, until it gets fixed.
    Bit shoddy, but exactly what intel desired.
    Thanks, the only laptop I have that's eligible is AMD. Not in any hurry.