#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Woke Anthony Mackie Officially Becomes Marvel’s New Captain America

By Megan Basham - The Daily Wire

Call him Falcon no more — Anthony Mackie has officially closed a deal with Disney to pick up Chris Evans’ vibranium shield in “Captain America 4.” The upcoming film will also mark the “Hurt Locker” star’s first outing as lead in a superhero movie.

Trade publication Deadline broke the news late Tuesday morning, calling the Julliard-trained actor a “bright spot in every film he’s appeared in.” The outlet also revealed that Malcolm Spellman, head writer of the Disney Plus series, “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier” (FATWS), has already been tapped to write the screenplay.

Mackie first took the Marvel stage as Sam Wilson/Falcon in 2014’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier.” He played that role five times in various Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) films, including, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Ant-Man,” “Captain America: Civil War,” and “Avengers: Infinity War,” before Steve Rogers/Captain America at last bequeathed his iconic weapon to Sam at the end of “Avengers: Endgame.”

Fans suspected at that point that Sam would eventually step into Steve’s shoes. Those expectations only grew as Wilson’s wrestling over whether he wanted to accept the mantle of hero to a nation guilty of racism became a key storyline in “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.”

As The Daily Wire previously reported, Wilson’s woke point of view in that series represented something of a retcon by Marvel, which seemed to be reacting to the prominence of the Black Lives Matter movement. Prior to 2020, the character — an Airforce veteran — never voiced reticence to serve his country, including when he received the shield in 2019’s “Endgame.” In that scene, Wilson seems touched by the trust Steve Rodgers places in him and says only, “Thank you. I’ll do my best.”

FATWS explicitly undercut this scene by having Sam instead give the shield to the Smithsonian.

Mackie said in the documentary special “Assembled,” about the making of the show, that fans should expect similar social justice-themed content going forward.

“It’s been an emotional experience, especially in the time in which we live in now,” he said. “For Marvel to give me the opportunity as a black man, from the south, to become Captain America, I think, says a lot, not only about the work that I’ve put in to get to this point, that they would entrust me with that. But with the way that they’re hoping to change the way society looks at itself.”

Producer Nate Moore further expanded on Mackie’s point, saying, “As a black man in America, to take on the stars and stripes, and wear that proudly, that’s not something that Sam Wilson would do out of the box.”

Other black Marvel characters, however, have been happy to wear stars and stripes out of the box and play the role of a patriot. For example, in “Iron Man 3,” the African American Colonel James Rhodes wears American-flag-inspired armor and proudly serves his country.

Before 2020, Sam Wilson was no different. No word yet on how long Marvel fans will have to wait to see the new Captain America in action.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    I thought Cap was written/illustrated as a white guy

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    I thought Cap was written/illustrated as a white guy

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Maybe the original is killed off and this guy picks up the shield..? Which doesn't bother me. I have better things to worry myself over.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Are they going to inject him with the serum that was used on Captain Rogers? Otherwise he is just another poser in the suit, the shield doesn't make the man.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    There's a valid point.. ^

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Maybe the original is killed off and this guy picks up the shield..? Which doesn't bother me. I have better things to worry myself over.
    I watched some of the series where the government tried to replace Cap with someone else.
    I think Mackie will make a great Captain if they would just leave all the woke shit out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-19-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    that series got worse as it went on

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's why I quit watching, to much wokeness but then that's what hollywood has become.
    Last edited by Griffin; 08-19-2021 at 08:12 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    You haven't watched Avengers: Endgame, have you?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    spoiler alert!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-19-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    You haven't watched Avengers: Endgame, have you?
    I haven't watched any of them other than parts of the original Captain America where the skinny kid got injected and turned into the super hero.