Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you regularly use a digital wallet?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Lifestyle Do you regularly use a digital wallet?

Do you still pull out your physical credit and/or debit card when paying for stuff at the store or do you use a digital wallet (GooglePay, ApplePay, SamsungPay, PayPal, etc) and use contactless payment methods? Even individual stores like Walmart have their own digital wallets (Walmart Pay) to pay at their particular store.

I've used them in the past here and there, but when I was trying them out, it was more fail than success. Either the payment terminal wouldn't connect or there was some other issue that caused me to have to break out the physical debit card, but that was years ago. Just added my debit card to GooglePay yesterday and am thinking about giving it a try again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I just use my credit card. Or cash, preferably. I haven't bothered with the digital wallets. I suppose when it's absolutely necessary, I'll figure it out, but no one in my small town has given up physical cash, checks, or credit cards yet.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (08-27-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I just use my credit card. Or cash, preferably. I haven't bothered with the digital wallets. I suppose when it's absolutely necessary, I'll figure it out, but no one in my small town has given up physical cash, checks, or credit cards yet.
    I've actually found cash harder and harder to use, especially at self checkouts. There have been multiple times over the last month or so where multiple Walmarts has had all their self checkouts set to card only because they have had a lack of cash/coins to stock the machines to be able to give out change.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I've actually found cash harder and harder to use, especially at self checkouts. There have been multiple times over the last month or so where multiple Walmarts has had all their self checkouts set to card only because they have had a lack of cash/coins to stock the machines to be able to give out change.
    So they're getting robbed a lot and were proactive about it?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    So they're getting robbed a lot and were proactive about it?
    Cash shortage I guess. There are several stores with signs saying if you are going to pay in cash to please use exact change because they don't always have enough cash/coin to make change.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I use tap to pay for 95% of my purchases on Visa, and of probably 50/50 split between tap on my phone or just tapping my actual credit card. No rhyme or reason to why, both work for me. The only time I insert and use the chip is for larger purchases when it's required, or when I want to use my Amex because tap seems to rarely work on Amex.

What always strikes me as odd is in when I visit the US, a lot of restaurants don't bring around mobile machines to just pay at the table still. I get really weirded out when some kid takes my credit card, walks away and bring me back a physical receipt to fill out the tip by hand. Haven't seen that at a restaurant up here in years and I hate having my credit card taken out of sight.
    Last edited by Godfather; 08-30-2021 at 04:58 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    guess i don't even think about it because that is the standard here gf, my credit card takes small walks away frequently (or at least used to) . when traveling internationally, i have noticed that they always bring the machine to the table (and card) not vice versa.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    guess i don't even think about it because that is the standard here gf, my credit card takes small walks away frequently (or at least used to) . when traveling internationally, i have noticed that they always bring the machine to the table (and card) not vice versa.
    Ya fair enough, it's always just struck me as odd that the US has the cutting edge of everything over Canada, except it seems with point of sale technology. Even tiny restaurants and stores here have mobile payment machines that accept tap and chip.

I remember only a few years back, and American asked me if we had debit/Interac cards yet. I'm thinking, interac? I've had one since I was a kid, probably 25 years!

Not hating, just a funny difference you notice when traveling.
    Last edited by Godfather; 08-30-2021 at 05:17 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya fair enough, it's always just struck me as odd that the US has the cutting edge of everything over Canada, except it seems with point of sale technology. Even tiny restaurants and stores here have mobile payment machines that accept tap and chip.

I remember only a few years back, and American asked me if we had debit/Interac cards yet. I'm thinking, interac? I've had one since I was a kid, probably 25 years!

Yup, probably 90% take a stroll with your card here. Many of the new big chains do POS. Don't know what the cost is for those or if we're just resistant to change?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I use tap to pay for 95% of my purchases on Visa, and of probably 50/50 split between tap on my phone or just tapping my actual credit card. No rhyme or reason to why, both work for me. The only time I insert and use the chip is for larger purchases when it's required, or when I want to use my Amex because tap seems to rarely work on Amex.

What always strikes me as odd is in when I visit the US, a lot of restaurants don't bring around mobile machines to just pay at the table still. I get really weirded out when some kid takes my credit card, walks away and bring me back a physical receipt to fill out the tip by hand. Haven't seen that at a restaurant up here in years and I hate having my credit card taken out of sight.
    Which digital wallet do you use?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Yup, probably 90% take a stroll with your card here. Many of the new big chains do POS. Don't know what the cost is for those or if we're just resistant to change?
    I think a lot of it is cost, especially for smaller mom & pop type businesses. We take credit cards here and the cost of getting a POS machine was ridiculous, especially considering the small amount of cards that we do take on a monthly basis (most are all NET30 open accounts).

As for bigger companies, maybe it's still cost too because I'm not sure how the newer POS machines that allow contactless will integrate with their existing systems and it may mean that they need to overhaul their entire systems. That's just me guessing though as I do see a lot more businesses that have the contactless POS systems. Oddly enough though, at least here, Walmart doesn't seem to be contactless at their self-checkouts, but I will check for sure next time I'm in there. I remember back when I had Samsung Pay and was fooling around with using it as a digital wallet several years ago, it was a MAJOR pain in the ass to use at Walmart. You needed to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it to work. But that may have changed now.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    I use google pay or a CC for 95% of purchases. I prefer not to deal with cash

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Never have. Cash or debit. I don't own a credit card.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I really like credit card points, I've paid for some great trips with them. I know credit cards aren't for everyone but I feel like between either cash back or travel rewards, if you pay on time it's worth it.

A friend of mine is into 'churning'. It's like a part time job for him... he has a dozen or so credit cards between he and his wife at any time He finds all kinds of weird deals, incentives for new cards, and somewhat shady ways of doing things like buying gift cards at one store where he's getting massive bonus points, then selling them online basically at cost. It a huge time suck, but it's his hobby (he's an accountant so he nerds out on it, all while maintaining a perfect credit score) and he has paid for first class trips around the world twice a year with points for several years now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-10-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Which digital wallet do you use?