Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you regularly use a digital wallet?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Had to go to the local pet supply store and get food today and such. Used Google Pay and for the first time I had to use my PIN? Haven't had that happen before. Is there an amount threshold where if you go over a certain amount you need to use your PIN?

Up to this point using it, I've never spent more than $100 at one time, this trip for dog stuff was just over $300, so was that it? Or is it up to the individual merchant?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-24-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Had to go to the local pet supply store and get food today and such. Used Google Pay and for the first time I had to use my PIN? Haven't had that happen before. Is there an amount threshold where if you go over a certain amount you need to use your PIN?

Up to this point using it, I've never spent more than $100 at one time, this trip for dog stuff was just over $300, so was that it? Or is it up to the individual merchant?
    That's odd - so you tried to tap, and then it told you to insert your card and use the pin for your chip? Or you just tapped and it needed a pin? I've never had the latter happen.

From what I hear, it's up to each store to decide their max limit they'll accept for tap as it's obviously more vulnerable to fraud. Some stores I've been able to tap for purchases even over $100, other stores I've had to insert my card and use pin for payments for purchases as low as $25-50. It seems to me that in the last few years, the limits you can tap for are increasing.

Never had the tap-pin combo though! Interesting.
    Last edited by Godfather; 09-18-2021 at 06:21 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It accepted the tap to pay using my phone, but after it was accepted, the POS prompted me for my PIN.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Weird! That's a new one for sure.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    It accepted the tap to pay using my phone, but after it was accepted, the POS prompted me for my PIN.
    Keep a close eye on your purchases and balances, just in case.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Have you guys ever had your credit cards compromised?

We've only had it once, and I was blown away by Visa/my bank. We were legitimately in Hawaii, we'd been to Walmart to stock up, and made all sorts of random purchases around town. But our Visa was stolen via a Pearl Harbor tour company website, and someone went and spent at Walmart and bought a flight from the Hawaiian island we were on to another island. Somehow, some way, Visa correctly flagged that as suspicious (even though on paper to us it seemed like totally plausible spending), shut our Visa off and called us right away. I'm still impressed by that one.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

We've only had it once, and I was blown away by Visa/my bank. We were legitimately in Hawaii, we'd been to Walmart to stock up, and made all sorts of random purchases around town. But our Visa was stolen via a Pearl Harbor tour company website, and someone went and spent at Walmart and bought a flight from the Hawaiian island we were on to another island. Somehow, some way, Visa correctly flagged that as suspicious (even though on paper to us it seemed like totally plausible spending), shut our Visa off and called us right away. I'm still impressed by that one.
    My credit card information was stolen twice. I believe it was at a gas station where I swiped at the pump. Probably had a card reader attached and I didn't notice it. Anyway, the first time, I started getting random purchases (kids toys and junk) showing up at the house and I had no idea where they were coming from, so I called Visa and they took care of it. I sent the purchases back and Visa issued me a new card. The second time, a purchase showed up from a supplement company for a very expensive supplement, and I called the company and told them I didn't order this, sent the junk back and they refunded me. Told Visa about it and they issued me a new card.

My credit card has a 0% customer liability policy for stuff like this, but it's a massive inconvenience. You have to wait for several weeks before the new card shows up, and you're just stuck without it. I stopped using my credit card at gas stations. I just pay in cash now. I thought about using a loadable prepaid card, but I never got around to getting one. Cash works fine.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

Personal card once, company card multiple times, mostly from using them online. Company card is an AmEx and they have always correctly flagged fraudulent transactions as soon as they happen. Usually have the replacement card the next day after confirming the fraud. With my personal card, the card company didn't flag any of the charges but I noticed them when I got my statement. Had to call and dispute the charges and it got taken care of finally. This was quite awhile ago with my personal card, so maybe their fraud detection has gotten better since then.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Keep a close eye on your purchases and balances, just in case.
    I'm not super worried about that purchase. When using Google Pay, it generates a random card number to be used for each transaction, so the merchant has no exposure to your actual card information.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-24-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What a pain in the ass. Got my new phone last Friday and set it up over the weekend. Got it pretty much where I want it now, but now I have to call my bank to re-authorize my card to be used in Google Pay? What should that matter that I have a new phone? It's the same card and it's the same Google account. So fucking stupid.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    I havent had that issue, but I only use CC, I dont use my debt card for much

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    I havent had that issue, but I only use CC, I dont use my debt card for much
    I had to re-add the credit cards that I had in the wallet too. The only one I had to actually call to re-authorize was my debit card, most likely because the credit union I bank with is small and local.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

This happens at Sprouts grocery store too, I have to input my PIN when I use my phone. Must be something set up be individual merchants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Well, now I see what Walmart is tracking through their checkout system. If you have an online Walmart.com account and have used a credit/debit card with them that's saved in their system for future list, they match that up against the physical card used at checkout at their stores in person. I've used my debit card online at Walmart.com for stuff I've had to order, and it's the same card I use when I pay at the store. Now if I log in to my Walmart account and look at past orders, not only does it show the stuff I've ordered to have shipped to me, it now shows ALL my purchases made at the grocery store as well.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    They have been tracking it all along anyway, now they are just letting you see it