Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you regularly use a digital wallet?

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya fair enough, it's always just struck me as odd that the US has the cutting edge of everything over Canada, except it seems with point of sale technology. Even tiny restaurants and stores here have mobile payment machines that accept tap and chip.

I remember only a few years back, and American asked me if we had debit/Interac cards yet. I'm thinking, interac? I've had one since I was a kid, probably 25 years!

Not hating, just a funny difference you notice when traveling.
    I have installed some Point Of Sale stuff and from what I understand Canada was one of the first test-beds for this. We got Debit cards long before most other places. I had a debit card in 1984 and my US and UK cousins were blown away by this.

But I think we are lagging behind with the digital wallet concept. I know my watch has Samsung Pay but I won't be able to use it most places yet because they haven't set it all up in Canada yet.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    I have installed some Point Of Sale stuff and from what I understand Canada was one of the first test-beds for this. We got Debit cards long before most other places. I had a debit card in 1984 and my US and UK cousins were blown away by this.

But I think we are lagging behind with the digital wallet concept. I know my watch has Samsung Pay but I won't be able to use it most places yet because they haven't set it all up in Canada yet.
    That's interesting. I would think it might help that our banking is largely handled by 3-4 major carriers nationally which probably makes things easier to streamline, as well as Interac is a Canadian company too eh?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Used my debit card through GooglePay on my phone a couple of times over the weekend. Seems to be hit or miss where you can find stores that have the POS terminal that accepts contactless payments.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Used my debit card through GooglePay on my phone a couple of times over the weekend. Seems to be hit or miss where you can find stores that have the POS terminal that accepts contactless payments.
    My experience is almost everyone does, the employee just doesn't know that they do

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    My experience is almost everyone does, the employee just doesn't know that they do
    I thought that unless it specifically says on the terminal or it has the symbol on the terminal:

...then you had to use the chip reader.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Maybe, I ask a if they accept it (I seem to leave my wallet in the car more then my pocket) And they never seem to know, so I just try and it works more then not LOL

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Maybe, I ask a if they accept it (I seem to leave my wallet in the car more then my pocket) And they never seem to know, so I just try and it works more then not LOL
    I was at the self checkout at Walmart yesterday and I didn't see anywhere on their POS system where it said they accept mobile payments. They give you the option to use their own Walmart Pay in their app, but you need to scan the QR code on the screen from within the Walmart Pay section in the Walmart app. The only other choices on the screen are to use your card or cash and there was no mention of mobile payments or the symbol on the card reader.

Not sure if it is different at the regular checkout since you don't have the screen and everything like at self checkout, but somehow I doubt it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Okay, here's an honest question since I just started using Google Pay. Do you really not need to open the app to use Google Pay? I've been opening the app every time I've used it so far, but I saw something online that said you don't need to open the app to use your default payment method, you just need to unlock your phone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Okay, here's an honest question since I just started using Google Pay. Do you really not need to open the app to use Google Pay? I've been opening the app every time I've used it so far, but I saw something online that said you don't need to open the app to use your default payment method, you just need to unlock your phone.
    Yup, all you need to do is unlock your phone and then you're good to go, no need to open the Pay app.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (09-09-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Yup, all you need to do is unlock your phone and then you're good to go, no need to open the Pay app.

Couldn't that be dangerous?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

Couldn't that be dangerous?
    How so? NFC transmissions has a theoretical maximum transmission distance of 20cm but from what I've read, effectively it's more like 10cm which is less than 4 inches and for it to really work you really need to be much closer than that even, hence why they call it Tap & Pay. Plus your phone would need to be unlocked for a transaction to process. And when I read up on Google Pay, for you to be able to even use it, you have to set your phone to time out and lock automatically for Google Pay to even work on your phone, just as a layer of security against someone getting close enough to your phone to try and initiate a stealth transaction.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    How so? NFC transmissions has a theoretical maximum transmission distance of 20cm but from what I've read, effectively it's more like 10cm which is less than 4 inches and for it to really work you really need to be much closer than that even, hence why they call it Tap & Pay. Plus your phone would need to be unlocked for a transaction to process. And when I read up on Google Pay, for you to be able to even use it, you have to set your phone to lime out and lock automatically for Google Pay to even work on your phone, just as a layer of security against someone getting close enough to your phone to try and initiate a stealth transaction.
    Alrighty. Fair enough.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The few times I've used it so far, you pretty much need to touch your phone to the POS and wait a couple of seconds for the transaction to go through.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya fair enough, it's always just struck me as odd that the US has the cutting edge of everything over Canada, except it seems with point of sale technology. Even tiny restaurants and stores here have mobile payment machines that accept tap and chip.

I remember only a few years back, and American asked me if we had debit/Interac cards yet. I'm thinking, interac? I've had one since I was a kid, probably 25 years!

Not hating, just a funny difference you notice when traveling.
    It's bizarre. I was just having a conversation yesterday I went to use Google pay and it didn't work. Apparently the program Samsung uses detects both the tap and the swipe mechanism. The guy said this is because they still swipe in America.

Still yet to find out why they don't tap much in the US.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    It's bizarre. I was just having a conversation yesterday I went to use Google pay and it didn't work. Apparently the program Samsung uses detects both the tap and the swipe mechanism. The guy said this is because they still swipe in America.

Still yet to find out why they don't tap much in the US.
    I haven't been anywhere that will allow you to swipe your card as a first choice any more. Every card I have has a chip, and if you have a chipped card, you have to use the chip reader or tap to pay. But, every chipped card isn't NFC enabled though here yet. Between the cards I have, it's about 50/50 (NFC capable). The only time you use the magnetic strip is if the chip reader fails, and it has to fail three times from my experience before the stripe reader will work. If you try and swipe the magnetic stripe first, the POS will tell you that you must use the chip reader.