Thread: NYC tourists duped by illegal vans touted on Airbnb as cheap places to ‘glamp’

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts

Gotcha! NYC tourists duped by illegal vans touted on Airbnb as cheap places to ‘glamp’

By Joe Marino and Dean Balsamini - New York Post

Now that’s curbing crime!

Cops this week seized seven illegally documented vans that have been used for at least two years as cut-rate Airbnb rentals, authorities said.

In a series of since-removed posts on the app, the vans were touted as a very down to Earth way for tourists to experience the mean streets of the Big Apple — by practically sleeping on them for under $100 a night.

“Glamp in a spacious camper Van in NYC!” gushed one ad boasting of a “private room” said to accommodate up to three people.

But an eagle-eyed traffic enforcement agent noticed something sketchy about the vehicles — five of which were parked in the East Village — whose registration and NJ plates were long expired, some going as far back as 2000, sources said.

A joint investigation by the city Sheriff’s office and the NYPD Document Fraud Unit discovered an “operation of alleged fraudulent and illegally registered vehicles being used as Airbnb rentals on various streets in Manhattan,” Sheriff Joseph Fucito told The Post Saturday.

The Sheriff impounded the cars on Thursday and Friday, authorities said.

“Vehicles could be removed from the street because they were mismatched and expired registrations,” a law enforcement source added.

One of the seized vans — a red, 1999 Ford Econline parked on East 2nd Street — offered California-based journalist/video creator Uptin Saiidi, a room with a view — not to mention four wheels and an exhaust pipe.

Saiidi, who made a YouTube video out of his Aug. 4 stay, said he was initially seduced by the ad, which offered him the #VanLife experience for just $97.

He said a key — which cannot start the engine — was left for him in a lockbox at the back of the van.

But he quickly noticed a red flag: “When I arrived there was a parking ticket, because it was there on Tuesday, which was street cleaning. I stayed there on a Wednesday,” he noted.

Another big concern, he admitted, was finding his own accommodations to relieve himself, since the ad warned: “Restrooms, shower and lockers are available at a public pool nearby.”

“The worst thing was the anxiety of where to pee when you gotta go. I went into the van at 10 p.m. and then woke up at 7 a.m.” he said, adding that he found relief at a nearby Equinox.

Sleeping was another issue, he continued.

“What is interesting was how awful I slept because you have people walking right next to you. You have people literally outside walking and talking and cars trying to parallel park next to you all-night long,” said Saiidi, describing his stay in the “smelly” van as “awful.”

When reached for comment, Airbnb directed the Post to its settlement agreement with New York City’s Office of Special Enforcement that requires the platform to share renter and unit information with the city. The company was not cited by authorities, the sources said.

The company has a verified checkmark next to a picture of the account of the mysterious “Nancy,” who collected several positive reviews this month from users gushing about their ”Superfun! Adventure,” or kvelling that the van was a “Perfect spot to stay for a couple!”

In her profile on the app, Nancy wrote: “Love to travel and explore the world. I’m a fan of tiny and unique homes. Hoping to share a part of van life experience with all travelers! I have lived in NYC all my life so I can recommend you the best places to see, eat and go!”

It was unclear whether Nancy owned any or all of the vans and authorities would not comment on their ownership.

Sleeping overnight in a van is legal, according to the city’s Department of Transportation — provided it’s not parked in the same spot for 24 hours in restricted areas.

When parking is not otherwise restricted, no person shall park any vehicle in any area, including a residential area, in excess of seven consecutive days, the agency’s rules note. Fines typically start at $115, the NYPD has said.

The Sheriff’s office did not comment further except to say the “investigation in this matter is ongoing.”

A since-removed Airbnb ad for one of these NYC vans

UPDATE: NYC IS OPEN and to full capacity in almost all areas and this van has all the amenities you need for a restful stay!

Heres what’s included:
    • Full size bed with clean sheets
    • A power station to juice up your phone, laptops and any other electronics so you are charged up for the day.
    • Small apartment style windows with net under the big window that you can simply open to allow fresh air and ventilation.
    • Curtains on all windows to block and ensure full privacy.
    • String lights for cozy lighting
    • Vanity mirror
    • Ear plugs for noise cancellation
    • Public restrooms with shower available!

If there is anything you feel like I missed or have any questions, please do let me know!

Other things to note

Please note the camper is located in East Village, Manhattan and sometimes gets moved around couple of blocks from the listed address. Public/shared restrooms and showers available nearby!

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,556 Times in 5,208 Posts
    Well, you've got to admire their resourcefulness

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    $100 a night and they could register them at least

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-28-2021)