Thread: Superman Now Bisexual: Don’t Need ‘Another Straight White Savior,’ Writer Says

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Superman Now Bisexual: Don’t Need ‘Another Straight White Savior,’ Writer Says

By Amanda Prestigiacomo - The Daily Wire

The Man of Steel is coming out as bisexual, DC comic writer Tom Taylor revealed Monday, saying that creating “another straight white savior” would be a “real opportunity missed.”

In the upcoming “Superman: Son of Kat-El,” the current Superman, Jon Kent, starts a gay relationship with Jay Nakamura, and the pair share a kiss in issue #5, IGN reported:

Fans of the series probably won’t be surprised to learn Jon is entering into a relationship with Jay Nakamura, a hacktivist who idolizes Jon’s mother Lois and has already lent his new friend a helping hand. And as this image shows, the two friends will become something more when they share their first kiss in issue #5.

Taylor told IGN that he’s had “queer characters and storylines rejected” in the past but knew he didn’t want another straight white male as his superhero.

“Over the years in this industry, it probably won’t surprise you to hear I’ve had queer characters and storylines rejected. I felt like I was letting down people I loved every time this happened” Taylor told IGN. “But we are in a very different and much more welcome place today than we were ten, or even five years ago. When I was asked if I wanted to write a new Superman with a new #1 for the DC Universe, I knew replacing Clark with another straight white savior could be a real opportunity missed.”

“I’ve always said everyone needs heroes and everyone deserves to see themselves in their heroes,” the writer continued. “Today, Superman, the strongest superhero on the planet, is coming out.”

“It is a pretty big deal doing it with Jon Kent as Superman,” artist John Timms told the outlet. “As we have seen Jon grow up in front of our eyes, it will be interesting to see him not only trying to find himself as a person but a global super hero in the complex atmosphere of modern life. On the other hand, I hope this kind of thing will not be seen as a big deal in the future. You could visualize how it could pan in the future when the most powerful man in the world is part of the LGBT community. So many things are on the horizon and beyond.”

“I’ve always said everyone needs heroes and everyone deserves to see themselves in their heroes. Today, #Superman, the strongest superhero on the planet, comes out as bisexual,” Taylor posted to Twitter, Monday.

In another post, he wrote, “Our Superman comes out. Happy Coming Out Day.”

Kent’s character in the comic, IGN explained, “officially inherited the mantle of Superman from his father following the events of the Future State crossover. While Action Comics explores Clark Kent’s adventures off-world, the recently launched Superman: Son of Kal-El focuses on the 17-year-old Jon as he grapples with the biggest responsibility of his young life.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

Muddy (10-12-2021)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    thank gawd for this

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Pony (10-12-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    We need a new story... How about 'The woke adventures of Superman and Robin'... ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (10-12-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    So Kal-El/Clark Kent's son is gay. Whoop-dee-frickin'-doo.

Let's see how the comic sells, and when it doesn't, let's watch the storyline die and get retconned later to no press whatsoever.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Muddy (10-12-2021), Pony (10-12-2021)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Update Go woke, go broke: DC's gay Superman canceled after 18 issues and poor sales

by Julia Johnson, Trending News Editor - Washington Examiner

People aren't buying Superman's new sexuality — literally.

After experiencing low sales, Superman: Son of Kal-El is being canceled by DC Comics.

The announcement was made over the weekend during New York Comic Con. According to DC, the 18th issue will be the series's last. The comic book company told the Washington Examiner that this is not a cancellation, however. "The Superman: Son of Kal-El series was not canceled. Historically, there have been multiple titles that feature Superman, including Action Comics, Superman and Adventure Comics. It was always our plan to have Clark Kent return to the main Superman title and Jon Kent’s story is continuing in Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent," said a representative from DC.

"Superman: Son of Kal-El will end with issue #18, but fans of Jon Kent do not need to worry! Writer Tom Taylor and artist Clayton Henry will be telling new Jon Kent stories in Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent," said the company in a press release.

“I couldn't be more excited for Jon Kent to headline the iconic Adventures of Superman,” said Taylor. “It’s a real testament to the fantastic response of fans to Jon as Superman. This series is going to be one of the most action-packed books I’ve ever written and Jon is going to be tested more than ever before. While we can tell you the Superman of Earth-2, Val-Zod, and Jon’s nemesis, Ultraman, will be key characters in the early part of Adventures of Superman, what we’re going to reveal at the end of issue #2 will have everyone talking and issue #3 launches us in a direction that no one will see coming.”

Last year, DC announced that Superman Jon Kent would come out as bisexual, and issues of the comic even featured a male love interest. One illustration showed the two characters engaged in a passionate kiss.

The comic did not crack the top 50 comic books by units sold in December 2021, indicating less-than-satisfactory sales. At the time, the series was only five issues in.

In August 2022, the comic was similarly not present in the top 50.

The series also depicted the superhero as a climate change activist, with an illustration of Kent protesting and holding a sign that reads "School Strike for Climate."

Recently, a Scooby Doo Halloween special rebranded the beloved character of Velma as a lesbian. She appears to develop a crush on the new character Coco Diablo in the Warner Bros. program.

James Gunn, who wrote some of the previous live-action films, tweeted in 2020 that he attempted to write Velma as gay but faced opposition.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-17-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I guess I was wrong about the "no press whatsoever" part.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    What a surprise

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Who wants to read that shit

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i thought you subscribed to it?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i thought you subscribed to it?
    Have they got carried away. Never assume.