Thread: House where teen violently murdered his mom and sisters features chilling Halloween display

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Horror House where teen violently murdered his mom and sisters features chilling Halloween display

By John Agar | MLive

Halloween display at scene of a triple murder

KENT COUNTY, MI – Jon Siesling beat his mother and teen sister with a baseball bat and stabbed them with a kitchen knife before he plunged the blade into his distraught 6-year-old sister’s throat.

Now, nearly 20 years after the killings, some are shocked and outraged by a display outside of the house on Walker Avenue NW near Four Mile Road.

There are three gravestones, surrounded by police tape. There is an evidence marker by a baseball bat on the porch. The front door has silhouettes on the glass, with “HELP US” written in dripping red paint.

Handprints on the front window look like they’re made of blood.

The builder of the display – Amanda, who did not want her last name published – was unapologetic. She grew up in the house, which has been in her family for decades.

“It’s a Halloween decoration,” she said.

She remembers the bloodbath she had to clean up after investigators finished their work. There is still blood inside she cannot reach.

The Sieslings rented the house and were friends, she said.

Everyone in the area knows what happened there. Just the mention of the address raises eyebrows. Drivers slow down, staring and pointing, with people sometimes yelling as they pass, she said.

For Amanda, the house – a “Walker legend,” as she put it – is where she raised her children.

“We know some people might look at and say, ‘Oh my God, oh my God.’ This is my way of saying, ‘We are well aware. Stop screaming at us when you’re driving past my house.’”

Siesling killed his mother, Sharon Siesling, 42, and sisters, Katelin, 15, and Leah, 6, on Jan. 22, 2003, at their Walker home. He struck his mother with a baseball bat then slit her throat when she tried to crawl up the stairs.

He did the same to the older sister. He put his younger sister, who was crying, in bed after she came in from playing outside. Then, he stabbed her neck.

His father, Jan, a truck driver, was on the road when his family was killed. He was never the same.

Jon Siesling, now 36, was 17 when he killed his mother and sisters.

As a “juvenile lifer” serving a life sentence without parole, he was eligible to seek a lesser sentence given his age at the time of the killings.

But Kent County Circuit Judge Mark Trusock upheld the state’s harshest sentence late last month. He said he had seen “nothing … as horrific as this case.”

Chief Assistant Prosecutor Monica Janiskee, who argued against a sentence reduction, declined to comment about the display.

Kathy Gordon was a classmate to Katelin Siesling, who would have graduated with her in Kenowa Hills High School’s Class of 2006, she said in an email. She said the “tragedy struck hard” at school.

For days, students cried and sought help from school counselors, she said. Everyone heard what happened but the violence was “hard for high school students to take in.”

She said her school bus route took them past the Sieslings’ home.

“The morning of the murders all bus drivers were told to avoid that street due to the caution tape scene. My bus unfortunately had no choice but to go on that street. We saw the caution tape scene. It was like something out of a movie.”

She said the current display made her “want to vomit,” and was “truly unacceptable.”

She said it dishonors the victims.

“It is just disgusting, especially since this crime hits close to home,” Gordon said.

Amanda said that the display was not intended to hurt anyone. In a way, she said, it brought “closure,” especially for her daughter, who was a friend to the youngest victim.

“That family that lived there, that family was our friends,” Amanda said. “I’m not going to sweep it under the rug and act like it didn’t happen. Leah was a friend of my daughter. We went to their funerals.”

She said her family remembers the lives lost on the anniversary of the killings.

She said that Sharon Siesling “was a great friend to my mother and also a friend of grandma.”

Her daughter, Katie, and Leah, the youngest victim, rode the bus together every day and played three to four times a week.

She said she was not sensationalizing the killings. Jon Siesling is the one who “committed the ultimate atrocity,” she said.

“We’re not heartless. We’re not monsters. … But it happened. This is my way of saying, ‘I am absolutely aware of what happened here.”

She said she welcomes anyone to talk to her about it.

“Come knock on my door. Then ask me what I had to clean up. Maybe this is my way of dealing with it.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Sorry, I don't buy your logic.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (10-13-2021)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy your logic.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    20 years ago

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Jesus..

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Pretty tacky.

My first reaction was leave them alone, the current owners should be allowed to move on from the stigma around the property which is probably unpleasant, and enjoy Halloween.

But then I read the article and it's the same family that's owned it and cleaned up the bloody crime scene, and they put up 3 grave markers and decorations clearly relevant to the murders. That's a big yikes Why...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-14-2021), Muddy (10-14-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Pretty tacky.

My first reaction was leave them alone, the current owners should be allowed to move on from the stigma around the property which is probably unpleasant, and enjoy Halloween.

But then I read the article and it's the same family that's owned it and cleaned up the bloody crime scene, and they put up 3 grave markers and decorations clearly relevant to the murders. That's a big yikes Why...
    See, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, it's their house and it's been 20 years, but there's a stigma affiliated with the house because of what happened, and clearly the neighborhood is sensitive to it. The homeowner may want everybody to move on, but she can't force the neighbors to do it. This kinda thing is kinda like pissing in somebody's soup bowl.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    See, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, it's their house and it's been 20 years, but there's a stigma affiliated with the house because of what happened, and clearly the neighborhood is sensitive to it. The homeowner may want everybody to move on, but she can't force the neighbors to do it. This kinda thing is kinda like pissing in somebody's soup bowl.
    Agreed. If they'd put up any other cheap dollar store Halloween decorations that were not a direct nod to the crime, I'd say the neighbors should get a grip. But it's clear what they're doing and it's in really bad taste, 20 years or not.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-14-2021)