Thread: Heating Bills Could Surge 30% This Winter, Energy Department Warns

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Good News Heating Bills Could Surge 30% This Winter, Energy Department Warns

By Ben Zeisloft - The Daily Wire

Americans can expect significantly higher heating bills this winter.

On October 14, the United States Energy Information Administration’s winter fuels outlook predicted the largest increase in winter heating prices since 2008.

The Wall Street Journal reports:

Nearly half of U.S. households that warm their homes with mainly natural gas can expect to spend an average of 30% more on their bills compared with last year. The agency added that bills would be 50% higher if the winter is 10% colder than average and 22% higher if the winter is 10% warmer than average.

The forecast rise in costs, according to the report, will result in an average natural-gas home-heating bill of $746 from Oct. 1 to March 31, compared with about $573 during the same period last year.

“We are very concerned about the affordability of heat this winter for all customers, but in particular those who struggle every day to afford their utility services,” National Consumer Law Center staff attorney Karen Lusson told the outlet.

The Energy Information Administration’s report comes as oil prices surge to the highest level in years. OPEC — the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries — and various allies are gradually increasing oil supply rather than increasing global output as requested by consumers.

Meanwhile, the Biden administration has reportedly been speaking to oil and gas companies about lowering the cost of fuel.

Reuters explains:

Energy costs are rising worldwide, in some cases leading to shortages in major economies like China and India. In the United States, the average retail cost of a gallon of gas is at a seven-year high, and winter fuel costs are expected to surge, according to the U.S. Energy Department. Oil-and-gas production remains below the nation’s peak reached in 2019.

The talks with energy companies touched on several issues, including prices, according to a third person familiar with the discussions. The administration has been in discussions with the oil industry over limiting methane emissions in recent months.

Beyond the oil and gas crisis, the Biden administration is dealing with supply chain bottlenecks that could cause product availability issues as the United States enters the holiday season — a crucial period of economic activity.

“There will be things that people can’t get,” a White House spokesperson warned. “At the same time, a lot of these goods are hopefully substitutable by other things. I don’t think there’s any real reason to be panicked, but we all feel the frustration and there’s a certain need for patience to help get through a relatively short period of time.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    already expensive enough fuckers

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    My Aunt is on a fixed income and has 2 HVAC systems, both propane. Propane is expected to be a 60% increase.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    A pity the article doesn't go into more detail.

Us propane makers are loving the fact that Europeans and Asians will pay through the teeth for exported US propane. Welcome to European prices and congratulations on this burgeoning export industry

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    My Aunt is on a fixed income and has 2 HVAC systems, both propane. Propane is expected to be a 60% increase.
    Sorry to hear, man. Actually I think it's going to increase a lot more. Are there any alternatives for her?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Sorry to hear, man. Actually I think it's going to increase a lot more. Are there any alternatives for her?
    She already runs 3 electric space headers to try to keep the propane costs down, of course that just adds to the electric bill. And she keeps the thermostat at 58-60F.
    We've been talking for a couple years about installing a wood burning stove on one side of the house. Pretty big up front cost as the structure would need to be modified.
    She has a fireplace in the smaller cabin side of the house that is super inefficient, apparently she was told retrofitting it with an insert was "impossible" but I need to convince her to get a second opinion. I think it could be done and would be WAY more efficient.

I've even watched a bunch of DIY videos about making solar heaters, etc. Thought about building a box with a copper coil in it, painted black and filled with water/glycol. add a small solar powered pump, pipe the hot liquid into the house and dump the heat through a small radiator with a fan. I just cant find any videos of anyone that's done it with liquid, don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something that "might" work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (10-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Another reason to stay put in my heat-included apartment.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (10-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    She already runs 3 electric space headers to try to keep the propane costs down, of course that just adds to the electric bill. And she keeps the thermostat at 58-60F.
    We've been talking for a couple years about installing a wood burning stove on one side of the house. Pretty big up front cost as the structure would need to be modified.
    She has a fireplace in the smaller cabin side of the house that is super inefficient, apparently she was told retrofitting it with an insert was "impossible" but I need to convince her to get a second opinion. I think it could be done and would be WAY more efficient.

I've even watched a bunch of DIY videos about making solar heaters, etc. Thought about building a box with a copper coil in it, painted black and filled with water/glycol. add a small solar powered pump, pipe the hot liquid into the house and dump the heat through a small radiator with a fan. I just cant find any videos of anyone that's done it with liquid, don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something that "might" work.
    Great thoughts! What I like about a good wood fire is the radiant heat really warms you up as well. so you can get warm and then stay warm for a few hours even in a cooler house just by sitting in front of the heat for 10 or 20 minutes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Pony (10-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Another reason to stay put in my heat-included apartment.
    until they jack up the rent to cover their additional costs...

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-17-2021), lost in melb. (10-17-2021), perrhaps (10-18-2021), Pony (10-17-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (10-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Years ago my mom had a zero clearance fireplace that was useless. I completely gutted it leaving nothing but the outside shell and put in a wood burning insert running regular stovepipe inside the zero clearance flue.
    It was like building a ship inside a bottle since I was working within pre-existing parameters.
    It worked fine when I was done, but then I never had to have it inspected and approved for code.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Years ago my mom had a zero clearance fireplace that was useless. I completely gutted it leaving nothing but the outside shell and put in a wood burning insert running regular stovepipe inside the zero clearance flue.
    It was like building a ship inside a bottle since I was working within pre-existing parameters.
    It worked fine when I was done, but then I never had to have it inspected and approved for code.
    Yea, hers would be tough because it was BUILT with a system of pipes in it and a metal firebox. Stone fireplace that has cold air intake on both sides of the hearth and 4 large pipes at the top of the firebox with a vent on the face in the stone. I think people have told her in the past that it was impossible to retrofit just because they know it would suck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Griffin (10-18-2021)