Thread: WNBA Championship Parade Video Showing Barely Any Spectators Goes Viral

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Fail WNBA Championship Parade Video Showing Barely Any Spectators Goes Viral

BY RYAN SMITH - Newsweek

The Chicago Sky made history on Sunday when they brought home their franchise's first ever WNBA championship.

But when celebrations for the momentous win took place on Tuesday, the gulf between public support for men and women's sports seemed clearly evident.

Video footage shared on Twitter of the championship parade showed a scant scattering of supporters as open-top buses made their way through the streets of the Windy City.

The footage, which has been viewed more than 1.3 million times, was shot from a building overlooking the parade and showed the small crowd cheering loudly as the victorious team rode past them in a motorcade.

Twitter users quickly expressed their disappointment at the lack of crowds gathered to celebrate Chicago's first professional basketball win since the Bulls collected their sixth NBA championship in 1998.

"I feel bad for them," wrote one resident of the Illinois city. "I only found out we had a team last week when they made it to the finals, the league needs to do better to put a spotlight on their league."

Responding to that tweet, another said: "They try but every comment is 'ESPN keeps trying to force the WNBA down our throats.'"

One observer commented: "One of the biggest cities/markets in the US and the ones fighting for equal pay, equal exposure, and equal recognition in women's sports couldn't show up for them? Man. Shows you people just like to sit behind a screen and pretend to fight."

"Congratulations to the team but I'm sorry the mayor couldn't come up with a more realistic celebration to honor them rather than embarrass them like this," opined another. "Maybe it's not worth a parade, but it's definitely worth more than this."

Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced on Monday the Sky would complement their winners' rally with a parade up Michigan Avenue, in similar style to the celebrations of previous sports championships that all had been won by men's teams.

Despite the parade appearing to attract low numbers, the Chicago Sun-Timesreported that thousands of fans were on hand to cheer on the winning team at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion.

Sky coach/general manager James Wade confidently assured there's more of the same to come as he told the crowd: "Remember the seat you're sitting in. We're gonna make sure you're sitting in the same one next year."

The Chicago Sky, which was formed in 2005 before debuting in the 2006 season, made history on Sunday as they beat the Phoenix Mercury 80-74 in Game 4. Reverend Jesse Jackson and Chance the Rapper were among the attendees.

Former President Barack Obama was among the high-profile figures to congratulate the team on their win.

Taking to Twitter, the erstwhile Illinois senator wrote: "Congrats to our new WNBA champs, @ChicagoSky! I couldn't be prouder of this team—they worked hard for this moment, and have made our city proud."

Beyoncé's father, Mathew Knowles, and her Destiny's Child bandmate, Michelle Williams, were announced as minority shareholders in the franchise shortly after its inception.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-22-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I can't believe that the NBA supports this league and keeps it alive

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

PeyPeyRyRy (10-22-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i guess i am not sure how much to believe on espn when they are talking about ticket prices for the games were over $1500 to get in the building and were completely sold out

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i guess i am not sure how much to believe on espn when they are talking about ticket prices for the games were over $1500 to get in the building and were completely sold out
    Sold out? I find that hard to believe, although they play in an arena that only has a capacity of just over 10,000, so it's half the size of an NBA/NHL arena.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Nobody else is winning here, so....
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Nobody else is winning here, so....
    But...but...but female athletes deserve the same pay and respect as their male counterparts

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    But...but...but female athletes deserve the same pay and respect as their male counterparts

I imagine if they got the same share of revenue that NBA players get, their salaries might be lower.

I wonder what cricket players make?
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-26-2021)