Thread: This is why the paranoia fueled by the government needs to stop

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

WTF This is why the paranoia fueled by the government needs to stop

I heard this on a podcast and looked up the letter. It was written into the advice column at Slate (so you already know it's going to be bad if you are the type of person that reads Slate and looks to them for advice).

How Do I Get Over My Daughter’s Severe Lapse in Judgment?

Dear Care and Feeding,

My daughter, 11, has been wonderful throughout the pandemic. She social distances at all times, we never have to remind her to put her masks on, and we found a fully virtual scholastic program so she can avoid the significant risks of large crowds in the public schools.

A few weeks ago, however, her other parent and I had an obligation that we both had to be present for (we are both vaccinated, it was socially distanced, and we were wearing masks). Usually one of us would stay home with her, but because of her maturity level and the short time we would be gone, we assumed we could trust her on her own.

When we arrived home, we found her with a friend of hers who lives about a block away. She has visited on occasion throughout the pandemic but they know the rules. They are to stay outside and on opposite ends of the driveway or patio. The patio only offers about 5 feet of distance, but we decided that should be enough as long as they stay outside and keep their masks on.

Anyway, when we arrived home on this particular day, both her and her friend were in the living room, sitting on the same couch, not wearing masks, not socially distanced, and each putting their hands into the same bowl of chips. Why she would take this kind of risk, I still don’t understand.

I immediately told her friend that she had to go home and to please inform her mother to call me at her earliest convenience. I then expressed my disappointment with my daughter and informed her how dangerous what she did was. I reminded her about the delta variant and how it’s caused so many children her age to end up in the ICU. I told her that she only has to wait a few more months until she’s eligible for the vaccine, and this isn’t the time to become complacent.

We took all the necessary steps to remain safe. She immediately quarantined in her bedroom for the suggested two weeks. I cleaned the house thoroughly and opened multiple windows to circulate the air. Luckily, we all came out of this debacle safely.

I still don’t feel I can trust her, though. I understand it’s normal for her to make mistakes, but this wasn’t forgetting to turn a light off or close the refrigerator. She put her life at risk. How do we start building the trust back?

—Trust Issues

==========================================

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-25-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Even if the government stopped, people would still be stupid. There's no fixing that.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (01-03-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Even if the government stopped, people would still be stupid. There's no fixing that.
    Probably, but all this is the government's fault to begin with. Keeping people irrationally scared of a virus that is now endemic and will never be going away. The feds still telling people that we can get to "zero Covid" and that unless everyone is vaccinated that you are in danger of death, even if you are already vaccinated or have had Covid and now have natural immunity.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

Side note, I had to stop speaking/seeing my brother because he is this bitch now

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (11-11-2021), Pony (11-11-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (11-11-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post

Side note, I had to stop speaking/seeing my brother because he is this bitch now
    there's a morky?!?!?

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Lots of them

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    What's really sad is that people like the one who wrote the letter are allowed to breed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts

My Aunt told me I'm not welcome to visit unless I get the shot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (11-12-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    My Aunt told me I'm not welcome to visit unless I get the shot.
    Y'all weren't close, were you?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah my brother and sil in N Indiana have been consuming the kool-aid as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I'm half-half here. Overkill to be anxious about kids, but one reason to consider getting the shot would be if you have a relative over 55 (esp. if they are overweight/comorbidities). It can really hit them hard.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I'm half-half here. Overkill to be anxious about kids, but one reason to consider getting the shot would be if you have a relative over 55 (esp. if they are overweight/comorbidities). It can really hit them hard.
    Come on, the government fueled paranoia is real. We're beyond 600 days now of "15 days to slow the spread" and even though vaccines have been available for almost a year, every single day I STILL see people driving around in their car alone with the windows up wearing a mask. People walking alone outside wearing a mask. People riding a bicycle alone wearing a mask. It's absolutely ridiculous at this point.

To be fair to the government, the press has been doing at least as much, if not more to fuel the paranoia too. It's all about control. There is no science anywhere that backs up what they are saying any more.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (11-12-2021), Griffin (11-12-2021), KevinD (11-12-2021), lost in melb. (11-12-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (11-12-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Come on, the government fueled paranoia is real. We're beyond 600 days now of "15 days to slow the spread" and even though vaccines have been available for almost a year, every single day I STILL see people driving around in their car alone with the windows up wearing a mask. People walking alone outside wearing a mask. People riding a bicycle alone wearing a mask. It's absolutely ridiculous at this point.

To be fair to the government, the press has been doing at least as much, if not more to fuel the paranoia too. It's all about control. There is no science anywhere that backs up what they are saying any more.
    We've pretty much move past that here. Over 90% of the population jabbed, though. By the way, sometimes people just keep on the mask if they're going from shop to shop or short trips in the car. Easier to leave on than keep taking on and off. Or you simply forget. Just saying... I've done it too.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I wonder if you can see the irony of that meme