20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I'm one ep in (yes, I'm slow). Intrigued enough to keep going.

Still trying to work out why the main character, Michael, is a woman. Did he have a sex change?

WARNING: SPOILERS AS OF BELOW
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 02-06-2018 at 09:26 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    This show is a mess in my opinion. It's taken 12 episodes to clean up some of the wonky writing and ideas.

I can't get into a full critique because it's all spoilers. I read there was a pivotal staffing change after the first two episodes, which may make sense because the direction of the show changes abruptly right around episode three.

I can watch anything Star Trek, yet this show keeps pushing the stupid button and expecting fans to accept it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (01-29-2018)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    ep 9 10 11 and 12 have been some of the best trek produced
    hope they manage to continue along that line

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (01-29-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    This show is a mess in my opinion. It's taken 12 episodes to clean up some of the wonky writing and ideas.

I can't get into a full critique because it's all spoilers. I read there was a pivotal staffing change after the first two episodes, which may make sense because the direction of the show changes abruptly right around episode three.

I can watch anything Star Trek, yet this show keeps pushing the stupid button and expecting fans to accept it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kisugi View Post
    ep 9 10 11 and 12 have been some of the best trek produced
    hope they manage to continue along that line
    Ok, so something like this...

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm up to speed. Good stuff....but.. No Lorca

And Klingons make really lame spies. 10 year old could do better!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Do we want to discuss actual plot points here?

My complaints/observations will totally be spoilers for the first season.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think it's ok to discuss now. Most people would have caught up...I have noticed little things that are off, but my main complaint was the whole Voq thing. 6 months of torture, and then once he knows he's Voq, out he blurts. 'I am Voq'

Contrast that with BSG, which had you on your seat for seasons not knowing who was a 'toaster'

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Contrast that with BSG, which had you on your seat for seasons not knowing who was a 'toaster'
    Big BSG fan here...that was part of the entire plotline, the Cylons could be anybody. It was paranoia at its finest

Discovery lunacy:

Burnham not only disobeys orders, she's responsible for starting a war with an entire race. (this was based on a hunch (the Vulcan Hello) about something she never did get to try out...) She not only disobeyed the orders of her longtime friend and captain, she assaults the same captain which ultimately results in the captain's death.
    She is held responsible for the above crimes, as well as the deaths for over 8000 people, yet she somehow gets a crewman position on another starship.
    She not only gets a position, she gets an officer's spot on the bridge. Often challenging and 'convincing' the new captain to change his orders.
    The water bear or tartigrade...and mushroom spores...as a starship drive mechanism. Okaaaay.
    Not to mention using a valued crewman (Stamets) as part of the drive system, fully well knowing the process is driving him insane and physically killing him.

Everything about the Klingons. They look like nuclear mutants in day-glo outfits. The multiple tribe thing was interesting, but ultimately goes nowhere.

Ash/Voq/who? Rather than just plant the consciousness of a Klingon into a human's body, they took a Klingon and reformed his entire organ system and skeletal structure to look like a human, then they somehow layered the real Ash Tyler on top of that whole mess? Alrighty then...

Commander Saru - A race that senses fear and exercises caution at every instance of trouble, and he made it through Star Fleet to become an officer??? Sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This show had a big shake up after the initial two episodes. The showrunner and writers were changed and it was apparent. The entire direction of episode three and subsequent episodes was different and just guessing, they had to clean up/justify a lot of idiocy the first two eps tried to throw at the audience.

For me, even realizing this is science fiction, if you can't accept the basic premise then everything that follows is crap. Burnham, being a convicted war criminal responsible for over 8000 federation deaths, would NEVER get a chance at serving on a vessel again. Not to mention a 'secret weapon, state of the art' ship like Discovery.

Little things like the word 'disco' on the crew shirts when jogging to the gold lame booties they wear, lessen the intended seriousness. The rave/party/dance scenes on the dining deck. Excuse me?

The opening scene with Burnham and her old captain walking on the planet. There's a storm that's so big the Starship can't use the teleporter. Yet the same starship can see two tiny sets of footprints on the planet surface from orbit. That's just lazy writing. And it was a huge plot point otherwise the two lead characters would have died.

The entire premise of the show is that one ship got into a showdown with some Klingons. Burnham got advice from Sarek essentially saying - Shoot at the Klingons first to gain their respect. Burnham then disobeys her captain, assaults her captain (and longtime friend), jeopardizes the lives of everyone onboard the ship, and then starts a war with an entire race, resulting in over 8000 federation deaths. And she never did get to try out The Vulkan Hello

In the previous few sentences, the plot goes against everything the federation stands for, as well as the pure logic tenets Vulcans (and by association Burnham) stand for.

These past few episodes use the now well worn Star Trek trope of the alternate universe, to obviously clean up some of the more puzzling plot progressions the show ran into. If someone tries to tell you the writing team was aware of the recent outcomes back during the beginning of the series, they're lying. Because the writing team changed along with varying, idiotic subject matter.

The production looks gorgeous and they've been trying for a darker tone since day one. It's just too bad the entire premise of the lead actor Michael Burnham doesn't make sense.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (02-07-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They look like nuclear mutants in day-glo outfits.

The opening scene with Burnham and her old captain walking on the planet. There's a storm that's so big the Starship can't use the teleporter. Yet the same starship can see two tiny sets of footprints on the planet surface from orbit. That's just lazy writing. And it was a huge plot point otherwise the two lead characters would have died.
    Agreed. They need some actual scientists to proof these scripts. You know.... the Arts degree types end up as script writers. No f idea sometimes

I agree with most of the other stuff, but to tell you the truth I felt that the last few eps were weakened most by the video-game like visuals and set-pieces. and the 'a bit too evil-ness' of their alt egos. You know, the alt universe ships had red light, ingetc. And the emperors ship looked faake. Wish they'd slow down a bit , like in BSG, saviour the moment between letting loose. When Michael Burnhan put her feet on that alien ship in the first ep I was on the edge of my seat.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-07-2018)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Rant

I'm not going to go back and read any comments before this post I'm making because I'm only thru the first 7 episodes, but, a few more observations since my last comments about it in the 'last TV show...' thread that Hal and I were talking about:

So, they drop F-bombs on Star Trek now, nice

On a military vessel, in Star Fleet, they throw alcoholic fueled parties with bad club music straight from the 20th century where, not only is fraternization amongst crew members allowed, it's encouraged?

Harry Mudd is now a cunning and semi-evil villain compared to what he was (will be) during the time of TOS?

Even though this is supposed to be a prequel to TOS and taking place barely 10 years prior, they ignore almost all canon about anything Star Trek ever.

WTF is up with those t-shirts emblazoned with the word 'DISCO' they are wearing when they are running around the ship?

The transporter, which is known to be a finicky device in the best of times on TOS is routinely used to just get around the ship and move things around the ship, not to mention the fact that there is a transporter control panel seemingly in every single room aboard Discovery.

Two different species of aliens (so far) can live easily onboard the ship as well as out in the vacuum of space?

The amount of aliens in the crew aboard Discover is ridiculous since in just 10 years when TOS takes place, the ONLY alien species in Star Fleet are Vulcans.

And this whole katra thing that supposedly links Burnham and Sarek across any distance of space is fucking stupid.

And speaking of stupid, so is the whole spore drive thing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I can only comment on a little so as not to spoil things...

Oh how I agree with 120% of your post

Burnham, for being raised completely by one of the most heralded logical and intelligent Vulcans of all time....sure acts on emotion and makes some piss-poor decisions

Think the Disco tshirts are bad, wait until you see the booties with gold trim

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This series is like watching a train wreck, I know I should turn away and stop watching, but I can't.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It does improve, but some of the improvements are dodgy. They try to make some of the newer plot points feel like they were part of the story since day one.

To me, it felt like they just got script doctors to come in and say - This part didn't make sense, let's say this happened! Yeah that's the ticket

A couple of things are clever...and it does take a darker tone towards the end of the season.

Nothing will clear up the timing and the non canonical parts of the series however. Like for example, they could have wiped out 95% of the Klingon tribes and left one, and then have that one mutate into a facsimile we're more familiar with. But noooo...

and we're lucky the 'Remain Klingon' thing didn't gain traction...when I first saw that I thought - this is SJW stuff thinly disguised...