#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Nazi New Zealand to Ban Tobacco Permanently for Anyone Born After 2008

By Matt Novak - Gizmodo

The government of New Zealand is preparing to ban cigarette smoking forever by anyone born after 2008, according to a new report from the news outlet Stuff. The move would eventually make it illegal for anyone in New Zealand to smoke, no matter how old they got, while allowing those who are currently addicted to tobacco to continue smoking until their death.

“We want to make sure young people never start smoking, so we are legislating for a smoke-free generation by making it an offense to sell or supply tobacco products to those aged 14 when the law comes into effect,” New Zealand health official Dr. Ayesha Verrall said on Thursday according to a video of the announcement.

“As they age, they, and future generations, will never legally be able to purchase tobacco,” Verrall continued. “Because the truth is, there is no safe age to start smoking.”

The New Zealand government also announced new measures on Thursday that would restrict the sale of tobacco in retail shops, cutting the number of stores that carry cigarettes from 8,000 to about 500 in the country, according to Stuff. The government will also restrict the kinds of cigarettes that can be sold in the country, with only low-nicotine tobacco becoming the norm.

Smoking related illness is the leading cause of preventable death in New Zealand, killing roughly 5,000 people per year in the island nation of 5 million. And New Zealand’s health care system foots the bill for smoking related disease.

But older people who still smoke will also find new public health outreach efforts to get them to quit.

“Practical support measures for smokers are also being prioritized,” Verrall said. “Smoking is a difficult habit to kick. And when I think of all the smokers I cared for, the vast majority wanted to stop and tried many times.”

The new legislation would make New Zealand unique in an effort to completely ban smoking, a prohibition that hasn’t worked very well for other drugs around the world. But there are still plenty of questions that need to be answered by the government, including what the punishment will be for anyone caught smoking or selling tobacco.

From Stuff:

Legislators will also “think very carefully” about how the laws will be enforced to stop an illicit tobacco market forming.

“We will need to enforce it, and we will need to resource enforcement at the border and in the community.”

The government also invoked New Zealand’s success at fighting covid-19 during the pandemic in showing what can be done when the country undertakes an ambitious project for the health of the community.

“Covid has shown what we can do when we all work together toward one public health goal,” Verrall said.

New Zealand has seen just 12,621 cases of covid-19 during the entire pandemic and only 44 deaths from the disease. The country has achieved an impressive 73% vaccination rate for the coronavirus, despite a slow start to the country’s vaccine program in early 2021.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Now there's a sure fire way to get kids smoking.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    wow

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    wow

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Worked so good for alcohol in the United States during prohibition, I'm absolutely sure this won't cause a HUGE tobacco black market to emerge in NZ.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (12-10-2021), perrhaps (12-11-2021)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Worked so good for alcohol in the United States during prohibition, I'm absolutely sure this won't cause a HUGE tobacco black market to emerge in NZ.
    Not to mention how well our "War Against Drugs" did in creating the Bloods, Crips and other gangs.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-11-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (12-11-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    I'm wondering who the model in the op pic is.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I get the intent here but I don't think it's the right approach. As others have said, this will just create another black market like any illicit drug and shift the money to criminals.

I think it's already been well proven that education, as well as high taxes/tarrifs on cigs are highly effective. Why not just continue that route? I have no friends and very few acquaintances my age or younger who smoke because it was pounded into us from a young age how bad it is for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (12-11-2021)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    I'm wondering who the model in the op pic is.
    Yup, she's smoking hot.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

KevinD (12-12-2021)