#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Warning Police investigating after woman receives scary alert on her iPhone

Michaila Franklin - WCVB 5

RANKIN COUNTY, Miss. —A sheriff's office in Mississippi is investigating after a woman received a startling message on her phone.

"My phone just made this alert that I’ve never heard before and I looked at it and it said 'an unknown device is detected tracking your movement for a while,'" Amber Norsworthy said. "And I was like, 'What in the world does this even mean?'"

Norsworthy said she disconnected the tracking and called the sheriff's department, which sent deputies out to help. But they never found the Apple AirTag tracking device they expected to find.

"The sheriff's department helped me search, my neighbor helped me search, my husband — I mean we all searched all over the place. I mean, it's about this big. It can be anywhere," Norsworthy said. "It really made me nervous, you know? Because you hear about trafficking, and things like that, so I immediately was like, 'Oh my gosh, were they watching me? Were they watching my children?"

Norsworthy called Apple Support, which confirmed that an AirTag was either placed on her or her property. Apple deleted the device and made some adjustments to the setting on her phone and assured her that it wasn't tracking her anymore.

Paul Holley, legal counsel for the Rankin County Sheriff's Office in Mississippi, said Norsworthy's case was the first time they had been contacted about the technology. Holley said it can be very handy for certain things, but, as with most technology, it can be scary if it's used for the wrong things.

"It’s fairly new to them, which is kind of scary, too," Norsworthy said. "It's a great idea to help people find their luggage or their phone, but I think people’s safety is a little more important than that."

Holley said it's going to be difficult to combat people using the technology for the wrong reasons and investigators will reach out to law enforcement partners in the surrounding area to see what they might be doing and if they've seen similar cases.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-09-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-09-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Whole new meaning to "tag, you're it"
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.