Thread: Melbourne beaches inundated with lion's mane jellyfish after La Niña rains

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts

Australia Melbourne beaches inundated with lion's mane jellyfish after La Niña rains

The president of a suburban lifesaving club says jellyfish numbers in Port Phillip Bay are the worst he has seen in 20 years.

While stings are not dangerous for most people, they can be quite painful

The translucent red lion's mane jellyfish have been sighted at beaches all around Melbourne, from Altona to Edithvale.

Brighton Life Saving Club's Sam Dimopoulos said the creatures have put many people off swimming at Brighton beach.

"The jellyfish this year have been unbelievable," he said.

"We've got guys who don't miss their swims — they are not going in the water at the moment.

"We are not talking about one, two or three jellyfish … we are talking about massive pools of them — it's an issue."

Of the people who have been brave enough to get in the water, Mr Dimopoulos said some have been stung.

"I've felt them, it's not fun," he said.

"I recommend swimming in groups, if you are swimming alone and you find yourself in a pool of these jellyfish it can be quite scary."

They are quite large and therefore easy to dodge, but f*** it, I value my face. Back to the pool for now!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-22-2022)