I went into the episode very hopeful because I have actually been looking forward to it since it was announced, even knowing the train wreck that NuTrek has been (although I have only watched Discovery, I am not watching Picard until I have finished Voyager). My biggest takeaway so far is that I didn't hate it.

I liked it for the most part, but there were some things that really bothered me. First, for the "big secret" that the existence of Discovery was supposed to be, they sure did bring it up a lot. Do we need to hear that Spock misses his sister? Did they really need to base the whole episode around Discovery going into the future? They had a shuttle that was named the Stamets? Really? Second, I could have done with the whole romantic thing and almost sex scene between Spock and T'Pring. And I suppose we will see a lot more of their relationship only because there is such a disconnect between what their relationship was as shown in the SNW pilot and how it had devolved into what it was in Amok Time. Third, are they retconning the Gorn now? If that much was known about the Gorn and what happened to La'an (since it was obviously in her file), why was Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise acting like they had never seen or heard of the Gorn in Arena?

I guess those are mostly minor and just what I have off the top of my head right now, but I definitely think the series has potential and I am still hopeful going forward. It's definitely a big step up from the dumpster fire that is STD.