Thread: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds | Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Give it to me straight, should I watch Discovery, or should I stay far away?

Nevermind.
    *sigh*

It's not a good show, really because of the writing and the in your face SJW issues they push. And they make the main character, Michael Burnham, basically Space Jesus because she can do anything and do no wrong. She is the prototypical Mary Sue. What the show suffers from the most aside from the wokeness is the bad writing. It's like they start the show with no idea how the season is going to end and they wing it as they go. Plus each season revolves around something completely cataclysmic. They don't develop the characters very well (4 seasons in and I would struggle to tell you the names of the bridge crew) and they flout cannon all the time.

I mean it's like watching a train wreck, but you can't look away. I've watched every season because I guess I like to punish myself, but it is Star Trek and it's in cannon now, even though I hate that part. But if you have nothing else to watch, maybe try watching the first season, but keep your expectations EXTREMELY low.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Okay, another nitpick that bothered me from the pilot It goes into the "wokening" of NuTrek. It's like other than Pike, they want as few white men as possible. Chief of security (female), helmsman (female), Captain (now Admiral) April (black man), and the other one I noticed was Transporter Chief Lt. Kyle. He was a white guy from Australia in TOS and now he's been 're-imagined' as a gay Asian dude.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    *sigh*

Why do they always feel the need to make NuTrek too Star Wars-y? It's a fucking Constitution class starship, not a single seat X-Wing fighter. Not in the history of good sci-fi do giant ass ships move like a tiny individual fighter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    I was thinking "she's a leaf on the wind" during that sequence. Other than that, it kinda felt like a TOS style episode.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Pony (05-14-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No, they definitely have the feel of classic Trek down and it's head and shoulders above Dumbscovery, but the writing could be a little better (the helmsman saying "I'm on it" instead of "Aye Captain" when given an order, it's Starfleet FFS) and they should have toned down the look of the interior a bit but for the most part, this is making me very cautiously optimistic for the series.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    *sigh*

So in the third episode we find out that La'an is definitely related to Khan and now we're supposed to believe that Spock had no clue about this at all by the time of Space Seed some 5 or 6 years later in the time line?

Canon? We don't need no stinking canon!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-20-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    *sigh*

So in the third episode we find out that La'an is definitely related to Khan and now we're supposed to believe that Spock had no clue about this at all by the time of Space Seed some 5 or 6 years later in the time line?

Canon? We don't need no stinking canon!

Spock was stuck on the planet. There was no way he could know. Cause you know, there's no written log of it anywhere and everyone keeps secrets under Pike's tenure as Captain.

And Uhura would know too.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (05-20-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Don't get me wrong, so far out of all the NuTrek I've watched (haven't watched Picard yet), this show is trying, and I appreciate the fact that this is the closest to classic Trek they've come, but they are still letting NuTrek bleed through. Like why MUST every person have a tragic backstory? It's like the show's writers grew up only watching shows like "Party of Five" where everything must be depressing and tragic. M'Benga has his terminally sick daughter trapped in the transporter buffer? Really? And just because he said so, they just ignored updating the medical transporter before leaving the dry dock?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-20-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The episode could have been a really cool haunted house in space episode if they played it right, but it fell kinda short.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (05-21-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The last two episodes, especially this last one, are the best two episodes in the series so far. Maybe the show is finding its footing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-10-2022), Godfather (06-14-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A brilliant kid being used as a battery.

Pike kinda hesitated when the alien chick came onto him. You know Kirk would've been in that bedroom in 1.2 seconds flat.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (06-13-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It was interesting to see the 'good guys' lose. I guess this episode was adapted from a short story entitled The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin. And with this episode, it felt like something the writers of TOS would have written a screenplay for TOS. It felt very Trek.

And if Kirk watched them kill the kid, maybe he would have issues General Order 24

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Don't get me wrong, so far out of all the NuTrek I've watched (haven't watched Picard yet), this show is trying, and I appreciate the fact that this is the closest to classic Trek they've come, but they are still letting NuTrek bleed through. Like why MUST every person have a tragic backstory? It's like the show's writers grew up only watching shows like "Party of Five" where everything must be depressing and tragic. M'Benga has his terminally sick daughter trapped in the transporter buffer? Really? And just because he said so, they just ignored updating the medical transporter before leaving the dry dock?
    I might just check this show out then. With all the new Star Trek shit I've just had little or no interest because they're trying to be Marvel or some shit, when I think we all loved Star Trek for being an adventure, exploration, philosophical, human, mysterious... with some occasional action mixed in. Sounds like maybe this show is getting back to some more of those themes though? I'll give it a go.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I've started. Kind of surprised that they went with yet another Kirk Pike and Spock menage.
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 06-14-2022 at 07:37 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I've started. Kind of surprised that they went with yet another Kirk Pike and Spock menage.
    Why? It's cannon that Spock served under Pike. It was cannon long before TNG. It was a pretty big deal for a few episodes in TOS.