Thread: Elon Musk Becomes Twitter’s Largest Shareholder After Shakeup Tease

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Take it over, fuck the board seat

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (04-11-2022)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Take it over, fuck the board seat
    I really hope he does, that would be awesome.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (04-11-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

News Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter, take it private

By Stephen Sorace | FOXBusiness

Tesla CEO Elon Musk offered to buy Twitter in a deal worth more than $41 billion and take the social media company private.

Musk’s best and final offer was to pay $54.20 per share for 100% of Twitter, and said that if his offer was not accepted he’d have to reconsider his position as a shareholder, according to an SEC filing.

He wrote in the filing that he'd want to "transform" the social media platform as a private company.

"I invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy," Musk wrote. "However, since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form."

Musk said the takeover attempt is "not a threat, it's simply not a good investment without the changes that need to be made."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (04-15-2022), lost in melb. (04-14-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    The board is actually considering this. Exciting stuff!!

I think Musk would be a fair arbiter. He.really is as apolitical is you can get.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They can reject it, and then he will just have to accumulate shares

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (04-15-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Whine Twitter leftists lose it after Elon Musk offers to buy the social media giant: 'I am frightened'

By Brandon Gillespie | Fox News

Tesla CEO Elon Musk's offer to buy Twitter Thursday elicited strong negative reactions from a certain segment of users of the social media giant, with some expressing fear about the impact his purchase could have on society, some threatening to leave the platform altogether, and others calling on billionaires to be abolished.

"I made an offer," Musk announced on Twitter, including a link to the SEC filing detailing his offer to buy the company for $54.40 per share or $41 billion dollars.

The offer came following days of speculation as to what action Musk was planning after news he had become Twitter's largest shareholder earlier this month with a purchase of 9.2% of company shares and declined a subsequent offer to join Twitter's board.

Critics let loose following the revelations of Musk's offer.

"I am frightened by the impact on society and politics if Elon Musk acquires Twitter. He seems to believe that on social media anything goes. For democracy to survive, we need more content moderation, not less," liberal columnist Max Boot wrote, while venture capitalist Fred Wilson claimed Twitter was "too important to be owned and controlled by a single person."

"Elon Musk is why to abolish billionaires. Asking them to chip in their fair share isn’t enough. Regulating them isn’t enough. When people are allowed to acquire this much concentrated influence, they will inevitably manspread economic power into every other form of power," wrote MSNBC analyst Anand Giridharadas.

A number of users threatened to delete their Twitter accounts if Musk's offer was accepted, including CEO of the Center for Employment Justice and former Democrat congressional candidate Pam Keith who wrote, "I love you all, but I am 100% OUT if Musk takes overt (sic) Twitter."

Former assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York Richard Signorelli claimed Musk was "getting on my nerves" and implored Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal to reject the offer "for the good of the long term interests of Twitter & democracy."

Liberal professor Jeff Jarvis wrote, "Today on Twitter feels like the last evening in a Berlin nightclub at the twilight of Weimar Germany."

Musk suggested in his SEC filing that if his offer is not accepted, he might sell his stake in the company, which some have suggested could lead to damaging effects on the share price.

If Musk's offer is accepted, a number of changes could be in store for the liberal company considering Musk's expressed lack of "confidence in management," as well as his desire to take the company private.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    These bitches are the same ones that said they were moving to Canada if Trump is elected, they didn't go anywhere

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-14-2022), KevinD (04-15-2022), Teh One Who Knocks (04-14-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    We need more censorship, not less.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-14-2022), PorkChopSandwiches (04-14-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    "I am frightened by the impact on society and politics if Elon Musk acquires Twitter. He seems to believe that on social media anything goes. For democracy to survive, we need more content moderation, not less," liberal columnist Max Boot wrote

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (04-15-2022), PorkChopSandwiches (04-14-2022), Teh One Who Knocks (04-14-2022)

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    git er dun

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    We need more censorship, not less.
    Yeah but when no censorship leads to out right hate and terrorizing people that has to be moderated...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (04-15-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Yeah but when no censorship leads to out right hate and terrorizing people that has to be moderated...
    Twitter is full of hate and terrorizing people, and it's all from the left. They are allowed to post whatever they want. The censorship moderation is all one-sided.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (04-15-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Twitter is full of hate and terrorizing people, and it's all from the left. They are allowed to post whatever they want. The censorship moderation is all one-sided.
    i'll agree with that.. I'm just saying there has to be some form of moderation

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Elon Musk claps back as Saudi prince speaks out on potential Twitter takeover

By Tyler O'Neil | FOXBusiness

Tesla CEO Elon Musk clapped back after Saudi Arabian billionaire Prince Alawaleed bin Talal rejected his offer to purchase Twitter for $43 billion.

"I don't believe that the proposed offer by @elonmusk ($54.20) comes close to the intrinsic value of @Twitter given its growth prospects," Alaweed tweeted Thursday. "Being one of the largest & long-term shareholders of Twitter, [Kingdom Holding Company] & I reject this offer."

Alaweed owns a 4.45% stake in Twitter, while Kingdom Holding, the company he owns, owns 0.72% of the company.

"Interesting," Musk cheekily responded on Twitter. "Just two questions, if I may. How much of Twitter does the Kingdom own, directly & indirectly? What are the Kingdom’s views on journalistic freedom of speech?"

Saudi Arabia's law does not provide for freedom of expression or for freedom of the press, the U.S. State Department reported in 2018.

"Mass media and all other vehicles of expression shall employ civil and polite language, contribute towards the education of the nation, and strengthen unity," the Basic Law specifies. "The media are prohibited from committing acts that lead to disorder and division, affect the security of the state or its public relations, or undermine human dignity and rights."

Authorities are responsible for regulating and determining which speech or expression undermines internal security, and the government can ban or suspend media outlets if it concludes they violated the press and publications law.

The Biden administration declassified a report last year, a report which blamed Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for approving the operation to capture or kill journalist and dissident Jamal Khashoggi.

The Justice Department charged two former Twitter employees in 2019, accusing them of spying for Saudi Arabia in order to target the regime's critics. When podcaster Alex Barredo brought this to Musk's attention, he signified his interest in the story.

Musk's moves on Twitter have bolstered the company's stock price.

The market value of the social media giant hit $40 billion when he revealed his 9.2% stake in the company this month, according to Dow Jones Market Data Group, up from $29.9 billion back on Jan. 31 when he first began loading up on shares unbeknownst to the investing public.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (04-15-2022), Muddy (04-15-2022)