Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade in landmark opinion

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Kev and DGX, I take your points that your states are not quite like the states in Australia. There's quite a bit of a difference there. So there's more of an argument for differentiation of Law between the states in US.

I just think of all of those social rights and freedoms which I think we would all support, aside from abortion and some types of gay marriage...those right were enshrined federally in similar method to Roe & Wade. I really can't think of any other practical way that this could have been done? And now ,technically, they can be undone in the same way as R& W. I'm not saying that would happen, but it opens the door.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Kev and DGX, I take your points that your states are not quite like the states in Australia. There's quite a bit of a difference there. So there's more of an argument for differentiation of Law between the states in US.

I just think of all of those social rights and freedoms which I think we would all support, aside from abortion and some types of gay marriage...those right were enshrined federally in similar method to Roe & Wade. I really can't think of any other practical way that this could have been done? And now ,technically, they can be undone in the same way as R& W. I'm not saying that would happen, but it opens the door.
    The practical way that social issues get done in the US is that citizens who believe in them go out and vote for the candidates running for the state legislature that supports those social issues. For those people who don't support them, they vote for the other candidate. Whoever wins, if their party is the majority, then that's the legislation that gets written and sent to the Executive branch's desk to be signed or vetoed. If the executive (governor) is in the same party as the legislative majority, then 99% of the time, the bill will be signed into law. If the exec/gov is not in the same party, then 99% of the time, the bill will be vetoed. Sometimes, a majority of legislators belonging to one party will send a bill to a gov who belongs to the other party, but the gov believes in the bill, so he/she will cross party lines and sign it into law anyway. Or a gov of the same party as the legislative majority won't believe in the bill and will veto it, regardless of the fact that it came from legislative members of his or her own party. It happens.

The higher courts, appellate and what not, determine whether or not the laws under question are Constitutional, fair, and just. They do not make laws, they just determine which laws that the other two branches put into the law books pass muster.

What the Supreme Court did back in 1973 in ruling RvW was wrong. They overstepped their Constitutional authority. They also did it with the gay marriage question a while back. That's not the Court's job. That's the legislature's job. The Court is not the legislature. They are not supposed to legislate from the bench. And because abortion's not in the Constitution or in the Amendments, then the 10th Amendment applies, the decision on the right belongs to the states, or the people. The same thing goes for gay marriage, and the whole laundry list of things you posted before.

That's the way government works or is supposed to work, in the United States.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-25-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    See above. Exactly correct. Like it or not, this is the way our country is supposed to work.
    Australia is not a republic. It is a democracy. There is no comparison in how laws work.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about whether or not abortion is needed, moral, or a viable form of birth control, I'd be happy to discuss it. The facts are the the Supreme Court made the correct judgment under our constitution. They made no judgment on the question of abortion, just confirmed that constitutionally, the federal government has no say in this specific thing. I look forward to seeing what further judgments they make. It will be interesting to see if I agree or not.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ok.

Perhaps dissolution is the fate of US...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-26-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    we are anything but a 'united' states

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-26-2022), PorkChopSandwiches (06-30-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    I wish the Supreme Court would have waited until the end of the year to do anything. This is definitely going to influence the midterms.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (06-29-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    and only in a direction opposite where people have been leaning the last two years now

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    GOP Incumbent's Support Collapses When Voters Hear Anti-Abortion Views—Poll

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-abortio...e-wade-1719495

Hm ...

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Next up: the right to marriage equality, contraception, interracial marriage, same-sex relations and anal sex.

All to be decided by your local government. This will be bad for Republicans.
    Prediction:

If SCOTUS so much as sniffs at changing anything else you can kiss 2022 elections goodbye. And I wouldn't say it's in the bag at this point, though you've got a few months.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Don't worry. People will be reminded to not vote Democrat when they buy gas, food, get their monthly bills and see how much they rose compared to last month. It's hard to care about social issues that don't effect you when you're getting hammered in the wallet and just scraping by.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-29-2022), RBP (07-04-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Prediction:

If SCOTUS so much as sniffs at changing anything else you can kiss 2022 elections goodbye. And I wouldn't say it's in the bag at this point, though you've got a few months.
    I'll bet you 3000 vcash Republicans win the midterms in the senate and the house. State level is anyone's guess.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'll hold off the bet for now

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-30-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm curious... If someone punches a pregnant woman in the stomach and kills the baby, do the pro choice people consider this simple assault on the woman or is it considered murder?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    'punching a woman' = 'simple assault'?

As someone who is pro-choice, that sort of casual attitude kind of metaphorically sums up the laissez faire attitude for the health and safety of the women that I believe anti-abortion can policies lead to.

I'll ask you this back: If that punched woman has an incomplete miscarriage because she was punched, would you deny her an abortion when the fetus is non-viable and now poses a health threat to the woman?
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-03-2022 at 06:19 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (07-03-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    'punching a woman' = 'simple assault'?

As someone who is pro-choice, that sort of casual attitude kind of metaphorically sums up the laissez faire attitude for the health and safety of the women that I believe anti-abortion can policies lead to.

I'll ask you this back: If that punched woman has an incomplete miscarriage because she was punched, would you deny her an abortion when the fetus is non-viable and now poses a health threat to the woman?
    Simple assault often carries misdemeanor penalties (and some states refer to this crime as a misdemeanor assault.) This crime generally involves either the threat of immediate harm or a physical act that results in minimal injuries.
    Considering many pro choice protesters that have been on social media call the fetus "nothing but a collection of cells" and there is no permanent physical damage to her I think the definition fits even though it might be a stretch.

And just for the record:
    I think the SCOTUS should have just left a ruling that stood for 50 years alone. There are many circumstances that carrying to term is not in the best interest of the mother or the child. As I said before, abortion was legal but was also very taboo. I had issues with anyone who used it as a regular form of birth control or anyone trying to "normalize" it as a simple common medical procedure. I also had problems with the pro lifers who pushed constantly for earlier and earlier "cut off" dates.
    Last edited by Pony; 07-03-2022 at 09:33 AM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (07-03-2022), lost in melb. (07-03-2022), perrhaps (07-05-2022)