Thread: Joe Rogan’s ‘Repulsive’ Podcast Comments About Shooting Homeless People Stuns L.A.’s Unhoused Advocates

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Stupid Joe Rogan’s ‘Repulsive’ Podcast Comments About Shooting Homeless People Stuns L.A.’s Unhoused Advocates

By William Earl - Variety

Joe Rogan’s recent offhand remark to podcast guest Tom Segura that “Maybe you should just go shoot the homeless people” in Los Angeles has left several of the city’s unhoused advocates stunned and disheartened.

In the July 14 episode of “The Joe Rogan Experience,” the host’s discussion with comedian Segura moved to the topic of homelessness in Los Angeles. The cigar-smoking duo discussed some dark ideas about L.A.’s unhoused population, seemingly comparing the response to L.A.’s crime issues to the homelessness crisis. Segura and Rogan’s comments are transcribed below.

Tom Segura: When you see stuff like that on the streets, at least in Los Angeles or California, that’s protected property. Like by law. That’s that’s person’s property by law.

Joe Rogan: Oh, a homeless person’s property is protected?

Segura: Absolutely. If you were to try to move that or take that—

Rogan: You’d get arrested. Hilarious. But they wouldn’t arrest you if you shot somebody. Maybe you should just go shoot the homeless people.

Segura: I like your ideas.

Rogan: And if nobody claims it. I mean nobody does anything about violent crime in LA anymore.

Beyond the criticism that the comments were met with on social media, Variety shared the conversation with Los Angeles community leaders who work with unhoused populations. Representatives were shocked by the discussion.

Theo Henderson, an unhoused advocate who created the podcast “We the Unhoused,” said the comments could absolutely cause violence directed at people without homes.

“It’s repulsive,” Henderson said. “It’s infuriating because it’s not only out of touch, but the reality is that unhoused people are targeted by housed people. To advocate trying to shoot at unhoused people or just giving these dog whistles to people that do not see unhoused people as human beings — I can’t believe you’d advocate for it.”

Henderson added that there are two central issues that could actually help the unhoused population that Rogan could discuss on his show.

“Two good things that are basically universal [for the unhoused population] that would be a great help are bathroom access and shower depots, where unhoused people would be able to take care of themselves without being considered pariahs,” Henderson said.

Henderson went on to highlight the range of situations for homeless populations, recalling relationships he’s established with elderly individuals and families with small children that have lived without houses.

“It’s a very abysmal response to a varied situation that we all should be really concerned and working aggressively to put people in housing right now,” Henderson said.

Andy Bales, who serves as president and CEO of the downtown L.A. homeless shelter Union Rescue Mission, expressed similar disappointment in Rogan’s comments. A quarter of the Union Rescue Mission’s staff is composed of former guests of the shelter.

“I’m surprised and saddened,” Bales said. “The comments about beginning to kill homeless people hits too close to reality for any comfort, because murders of homeless people in Los Angeles went up 47% last year over the previous year…. There is a bit of an unfortunate vigilantism already in Los Angeles towards people devastated by homelessness and they don’t need any encouragement.”

Bales went on to extend an invitation to Rogan so that he could better understand the conditions that thousands of Los Angeles residents live in.

“Usually when I get in a case like this, with somebody with a lot of influence and responsibility, I invite them to come see what’s happening on the street and get to know the people that they’re talking about,” Bales said. “I would invite Joe to come to Union Rescue Mission to see, not only our work, but see what’s happening on the streets and who these people are who he’s talking about.”

It’s the latest in a series of controversies for Rogan. Earlier this year, doctors, nurses and scientists urged Spotify to “implement a misinformation policy” regarding COVID-19, citing “The Joe Rogan Experience” and its “concerning history of broadcasting misinformation” regarding vaccinations and alternative treatments. The situation ultimately led to musicians like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell removing their music from the streamer in protest of its partnership with Rogan.

Spotify is the exclusive streamer of Rogan’s show, which leads as the company’s most-listened podcast. Spotify inked a multiyear deal with Rogan in 2020, reportedly worth more than $100 million, for exclusive rights to distribute “The Joe Rogan Experience.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    FFS he was joking

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    FFS he was joking
    He was. The problem is mad f*cks who get ideas from comments like that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    If you have to need to worry about that, then nobody would ever be allowed to say anything. I grew up watching Bugs Bunny and the Roadrunner cartoons and the the like, never once did I feel compelled to drop an anvil on someone's head.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-22-2022), lost in melb. (07-22-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    If you have to need to worry about that, then nobody would ever be allowed to say anything. I grew up watching Bugs Bunny and the Roadrunner cartoons and the the like, never once did I feel compelled to drop an anvil on someone's head.

But I bet you think about it for at least a second before shooing it away with reason every now and then.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    and they are the people that should be shot

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugh_Janus For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (07-22-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i bet you felt like it, just not enough to get that old acme catalog in the mail to do the mail order

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

FBD (07-28-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i bet you felt like it, just not enough to get that old acme catalog in the mail to do the mail order
    Hmmm, I bet shipping an anvil today would be pricey..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to teabelly For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-24-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I'm a huge Tom Segura fan so I just happened to listen to that episode last night. He was obviously being crude to make a fellow comedian laugh. Anyone who says they're don't joke around and say "we should kill x" to make their friends laugh once in a while is either a liar or a loner

What baffles me is that it seems like there's a large contingent of people online who listen to JRE just to get pissed off at him. Find a better use of 3 hours. Most of his podcasts these days kinda suck even if you like Joe to some extent... I can't even imagine listening to a 3 hour podcast just to intentionally get mad
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-24-2022 at 01:03 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-24-2022), lost in melb. (07-24-2022), Teh One Who Knocks (07-24-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    it's similar to what they used to say about stern, that fans listened like half as long as those that hated him

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    You can't make this shit up... some crazy dude shot two homeless people here in BC yesterday and immediately people online including a prominent news personality blamed Rogan What a world.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-27-2022), Pony (07-27-2022), Teh One Who Knocks (07-27-2022)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Why not blame American Psycho

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

FBD (07-28-2022)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    personally I blame the chinese, since they invented gunpowder