Thread: Housemates find landlord has installed CCTV cameras around their home

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts

Creepy Housemates find landlord has installed CCTV cameras around their home

Eight tenants sharing a house in Queensland came home one day to find CCTV cameras inside.

They say when they complained, their rental agent told them "like it or lump it".

Student Nathan Thomas is one of eight tenants living in the Brisbane house.

"I felt like my privacy was broken," he told A Current Affair.

"No matter where I go in the house, unless I'm in my room, I'm being watched and it's really uncomfortable."

Daniel Delaney, another tenant, joked about their lives becoming like Big Brother — the trouble is, none of them signed up for reality TV.

"Wherever you go, you will be seen on cameras," he said.

"I mean, I'm really happy that I go in without an audition, but I would have liked to know before I came in."

None of the tenants at the home were told the cameras were going to be installed.

All they knew was the kitchen was being renovated and an electrician was coming in to do some work.

They then found eight cameras had been installed in all the common areas, inside and out.

Ameya Tidke, a carpenter and another tenant, says he can't believe they could be watched, even when they do their laundry.

"It's very, very uncomfortable to see somebody's watching you like that — that really just never goes away and it's kind of disturbing," he said.

"It's very rude and it seems just completely absurd that they would just decide to put cameras in the house and outside the house.

"Audio or not, visual or not, I don't care.

"I didn't sign up for them. I don't want them."

The young tenants say when they started complaining, their real estate agency — Hive Student Accommodation — sent them an email.

"The landlord had the CCTV cameras installed in the common areas with the best intentions at heart — being that should anything be damaged by any one person, we are able to capture the right person and not have to penalise everyone else for repairs," it said.

The tenants say they haven't given the landlord any reason to do this so they complained.

Thomas was told he could move out.

"They said that I was more than welcome to break my lease if I wasn't comfortable in the property and I thanked them for that offer but due to the fees they charge to break leases, I thanked them and said, 'no thank you.'"

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/113a...6-de7067b67b43

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts
    Simple. Cover them. And then if the landlord wants to evict then the landlord can be the one to break the tenancy agreement.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,830 Times in 8,169 Posts
    Back in 04 I started my own website called www. itchyballs .com

I placed cameras all over the house and allowed patrons to watch me scratch my nuts 24/7.