Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 'Like the scene of a ‘Die Hard' movie': FBI raids Trump's Mar-a-Lago, breaks into safe

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    @DemonGeminiX

I've moved our conversation here.

US Justice Department seeking to unseal search warrant of Trump home

US Justice Department addresses the FBI raids on Donald Trump home
    1 / 22><
    The US Justice Department has asked a court to unseal the search warrant the FBI received before searching the Florida estate of former president Donald Trump, Attorney General Merrick Garland said.
    Garland cited the "substantial public interest in this matter" in announcing the request at a hastily scheduled Justice Department news conference on Thursday (Friday AEST).
    Garland also said that he personally approved the search warrant, which was part of an ongoing Justice Department investigation into the discovery of classified White House records recovered from Trump's Mar-a-Lago home in Palm Beach, Florida earlier this year.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/donal...3-afe4472e07cf

Odd, but there we have it.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Let the sunshine in. Odd that Trump wants to keep it out since he claims he's a victim.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Update Donald Trump fires back at AG Merrick Garland over FBI's Mar-a-Lago raid: 'Release the documents now!'

By Lawrence Richard | Fox News

After a federal judge gave the Justice Department a deadline to determine whether former President Trump supports or opposes unsealing the search warrant and property receipt used by the FBI to search his Mar-a-Lago home Monday, the former president said he heartily supports the move.

"Release the documents now!" Trump wrote on TRUTH Social at 11:40 p.m. ET Thursday, just hours after the judge’s decision was announced.

In a pair of posts, Trump called the raid on his Florida estate "unAmerican, unwarranted, and unnecessary" and said he approved of the "immediate release" of the warrant.

"Not only will I not oppose the release of documents related to the unAmerican, unwarranted, and unnecessary raid and break-in of my home in Palm Beach, Florida, Mar-a-Lago, I am going a step further by ENCOURAGING the immediate release of those documents," the former president wrote, "even though they have been drawn up by radical left Democrats and possible future political opponents, who have a strong and powerful vested interest in attacking me, much as they have done for the last 6 years."

Trump also said the raid was a part of an "unprecedented political weaponization of law enforcement" and suggested it could be an effort to keep him from re-seeking office.

"My poll numbers are the strongest they have ever been, fundraising by the Republican Party is breaking all records, and midterm elections are fast approaching. This unprecedented political weaponization of law enforcement is inappropriate and highly unethical," he said. "The world is watching as our Country is being brought to a new low, not only on our border, crime, economy, energy, national security, and so much more, but also with respect to our sacred elections!"

The two posts come just hours after Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart wrote an order on the DOJ's motion to unseal the warrant and property receipt.

"The United States shall immediately serve a copy of its Motion on counsel for former President Trump," Reinhart wrote Thursday. "On or before 3:00 p.m. Eastern time on August 12, 2022, the United States shall file a certificate of conferral advising whether former President Trump opposes the Government's motion to unseal."

The judge’s decision came just after Attorney General Merrick Garland broke his days-long silence over the decision for the FBI to execute a search warrant on the home of a former president. This has never been done in U.S. history.

During a press conference on Thursday, Garland said he "personally approved" the FBI to execute the warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago, where agents spent hours searching on Monday.

"Just now, the Justice Department has filed a motion in the Southern District of Florida to unseal a search warrant and property receipt relating to a court-approved search that the FBI conducted earlier this week," Garland said. "That search was a premises located in Florida belonging to the former president."

He added: "The department filed the motion to make public the warrant and receipt in light of the former president's public confirmation of the search, the surrounding circumstances and the substantial public interest in this matter."

It is not immediately clear if Trump or his legal representation currently has a copy of the warrant or the property receipt.

While the FBI did not specifically use the word "raid" — which has been used by Trump and many others including major news outlets — to describe their search warrant on Trump’s estate, it has yet to clarify what property was retrieved during the search and why it was executed in the first place.

The release of the search warrant, which was signed by Reinhart, and the property receipt will reveal that information.

Prior to Monday’s search warrant, Trump’s legal team communicated with and returned 15 boxes of White House records from Mar-a-Lago to the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration, including documents that contained classified information.

"My attorneys and representatives were cooperating fully, and very good relationships had been established. The government could have had whatever they wanted, if we had it," Trump said. "They asked us to put an additional lock on a certain area - DONE! Everything was fine, better than that of most previous Presidents, and then, out of nowhere and with no warning, Mar-a-Lago was raided, at 6:30 in the morning, by VERY large numbers of agents, and even 'safecrackers.'"

The former president also said in a separate post that the agency "rummaged through" closets and personal items of former first lady Melania Trump and "left area in a relative mess."

Trump added: "They got way ahead of themselves. Crazy!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Trump team won’t release FBI warrant for Mar-a-Lago raid as judge weighs motion to unseal it

Former President Donald Trump reportedly has no plans to publish the search warrant used to raid Mar-a-Lago on Monday — as the judge who approved the search considers a motion to unseal the document.

The Justice Department has said little publicly about the unprecedented raid on a former president, which is believed to be part of an effort to retrieve presidential records that may contain classified information. Trump blasted the raid as a partisan “surprise attack” and “political targeting at the highest level.”

https://nypost.com/2022/08/10/trump-...-raid-warrant/

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    We will know by 3:00 p.m. today if Trump is going to block the release of the documents. (Trump saying he is going or not going to do something is completely meaningless).

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Trump defiant ( only He can save America)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/blog/wh...t-is-executed/

For those that don't understand how the American justice system actually works, this is true for every state, as well as the federal government. You do not get to keep a copy of the search or arrest warrant that is executed upon your property, it is returned to the official that issued it. The reason Trump can't release the details of the warrant is:

a) He doesn't have the warrant and probably hasn't actually seen it, since he wasn't at Mar-A-Lago when the warrant was executed. Warrants are served at the locations being searched, but "serve" doesn't mean the person being served gets to keep it. It doesn't work that way. They get to view the warrant and make sure that the location is correct and view the areas intended to be searched. Generally, there is a list of items being looked for, but if law enforcement finds anything of interest, illegal or otherwise, not listed on the warrant during the search, they may confiscate it and may file additional charges relating to the items found not listed on the warrant.

b) It is a sealed warrant, and that means that neither Trump himself nor the FBI can release it to the public, a court order is required from a judge to unseal it for public consumption. It is out of his hands.

I don't care what your articles say, Lost. They are wrong. You are wrong. My family was law enforcement for all of my life. I have cousins that are lawyers. I was a criminal justice and law major in college before I became a mathematics major. You don't know what you are talking about. However, I do.

Stop arguing with me. Now.

Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 08-12-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (08-12-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    C) Receipt. The officer executing the warrant must give a copy of the warrant and a receipt for the property taken to the person from whom, or from whose premises, the property was taken or leave a copy of the warrant and receipt at the place where the officer took the property.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcrmp/rule_41

Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure
    Rule 41. Search and Seizure

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    C) Receipt. The officer executing the warrant must give a copy of the warrant and a receipt for the property taken to the person from whom, or from whose premises, the property was taken or leave a copy of the warrant and receipt at the place where the officer took the property.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcrmp/rule_41

Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure
    Rule 41. Search and Seizure
    How dare you confuse the issue with facts!

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/blog/wh...t-is-executed/

For those that don't understand how the American justice system actually works, this is true for every state, as well as the federal government. You do not get to keep a copy of the search or arrest warrant that is executed upon your property, it is returned to the official that issued it. The reason Trump can't release the details of the warrant is:

a) He doesn't have the warrant and probably hasn't actually seen it, since he wasn't at Mar-A-Lago when the warrant was executed. Warrants are served at the locations being searched, but "serve" doesn't mean the person being served gets to keep it. It doesn't work that way. They get to view the warrant and make sure that the location is correct and view the areas intended to be searched. Generally, there is a list of items being looked for, but if law enforcement finds anything of interest, illegal or otherwise, not listed on the warrant during the search, they may confiscate it and may file additional charges relating to the items found not listed on the warrant.

b) It is a sealed warrant, and that means that neither Trump himself nor the FBI can release it to the public, a court order is required from a judge to unseal it for public consumption. It is out of his hands.

I don't care what your articles say, Lost. They are wrong. You are wrong. My family was law enforcement for all of my life. I have cousins that are lawyers. I was a criminal justice and law major in college before I became a mathematics major. You don't know what you are talking about. However, I do.

Stop arguing with me. Now.

You're mistaken. Trump's lawyers had the receipt since the conclusion of the search. I don't care how many of your cousins are lawyers. I've seen Federal Search Warrants and receipts from searches. Ask your family how many criminals they've represented in Federal Court. I was an attorney who represented criminal defendants for over 35 years.

Oh, and Presidents cannot just wave their Magic MAGA wands and declare classified documents declassified. Let's see the written documentation that shows Trump initiated that process. Can't produce it? Well, if that claim won't work, let's claim that the FBI planted the docs. Yeah, that's the ticket!
    Last edited by perrhaps; 08-13-2022 at 09:08 AM.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Trump calls for immediate release of affidavit justifying FBI search of Mar-a-Lago

By Andrea Vacchiano | Fox News

President Trump unleashed his latest rant against the FBI search of his home on his social media platform late Monday night and called for the immediate release of the "completely unredacted" affidavit that was used to justify the raid.

"There is no way to justify the unannounced RAID of Mar-a-Lago," the former president wrote on Truth Social. "The home of the 45th President of the United States (who got more votes, by far, than any sitting President in the history of our Country!)."

Trump also references "gun toting FBI Agents" and "the Department of ‘Justice’" in his post.

"But, in the interest of TRANSPARENCY, I call for the immediate release of the completely Unredacted Affidavit pertaining to this horrible and shocking BREAK-IN," the business mogul continued. "Also, the Judge on this case should recuse!"

The former president's latest tirade comes after the DOJ filed a motion to block the release of the affidavit used to search the Florida mansion.

The Justice Department says it would comply with a court order to partially unseal the affidavit, but "respectfully requests an opportunity to provide the Court with proposed redactions."

A judge had unsealed the search warrant on Friday after the government had "determined that these materials could be released without significant harm to its investigation," the Justice Department wrote.

Despite their opposition to the release of the affidavit, the Justice Department attested that it would not block the release of any other documents related to the FBI raid of Mar-a-Lago, including the warrant's cover sheets.

Trump has doubled-down on his attacks against the nation's intelligence agencies, standing firm in his assertion that the searches and seizures are part of a political plot to prevent him from running for president again.

"Wow! In the raid by the FBI of Mar-a-Lago, they stole my three Passports (one expired), along with everything else," he wrote on his Truth Social account earlier on Monday. "This is an assault on a political opponent at a level never seen before in our Country."

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Trump warns ‘terrible things are going to happen’ as he’s blamed for anti-FBI violence

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/....-b2145439.html

Donald Trump has warned that “terrible things are going to happen” as he faces the blame for violence and threats directed at FBI agents.

“The country is in a very dangerous position. There is tremendous anger, like I’ve never seen before, over all of the scams, and this new one, years of scams and witch hunts, and now this,” Mr Trump told Fox News

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    He's not necessarily wrong...

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Of course if the FBI, DOJ just lets this go and allows Trump to keep and do whatever he wants the squarking will stop and all will be well