Thread: NYU fires chemistry professor after students sign petition complaining that his class is too difficult

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Precious Snowflake NYU fires chemistry professor after students sign petition complaining that his class is too difficult

By Paul Best | Fox News

Maitland Jones Jr., a chemistry professor at New York University who also taught for four decades at Princeton, was fired in August after undergraduate students circulated a petition complaining that his course was too difficult.

Dozens of the college students, many of them aspiring doctors, signed on to the petition in the spring.

"We are very concerned about our scores, and find that they are not an accurate reflection of the time and effort put into this class," the petition read, according to the New York Times.

"We urge you to realize… that a class with such a high percentage of withdrawals and low grades has failed to make students’ learning and well-being a priority and reflects poorly on the chemistry department as well as the institution as a whole."

Jones, 84, told the New York Times that he started seeing a loss of focus among students about a decade ago, but the problem was exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic in 2020.

"They weren’t coming to class, that’s for sure, because I can count the house," Jones told the newspaper. "They weren’t watching the videos, and they weren’t able to answer the questions."

A spokesperson for New York University disagreed with the way Jones' dismissal has been framed, saying that in addition to the petition, Jones' class also had a "very high rate of student withdrawals" and "evaluations scores that were by far the worst" across the school's undergraduate science courses.

"In short, he was hired to teach, and wasn't successful," an NYU spokesperson told Fox News Digital. "NYU has lots of hard courses and lots of tough graders among the faculty – they don't end up with outcomes that raise questions about the quality and effectiveness of the teaching, as this class did."

Before lecturing at NYU, Jones pioneered a new way of teaching that emphasized problem-based learning over a "lecture-memorize-regurgitate facts" style, Princeton University's Dean of Faculty wrote.

"Our aim is to teach the best course in organic chemistry anywhere," the course description for his organic chemistry class read.

Jones told the New York Times that he's concerned about the precedent his firing could set.

"I don’t want my job back," he told the newspaper. "I just want to make sure this doesn’t happen to anyone else."

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Sounds like there's a bunch of pussies at NYU that don't know how to think for themselves. I'd thrive in that kind of environment.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Learning is too hard

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    I'll bet the Asian students didn't sign this bullshit petition.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-06-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

NYU’s firing of Professor Maitland Jones Jr. should frighten every American

By Dr. Stanley Goldfarb | New York Post

New York University fired Maitland Jones Jr. because his organic-chemistry course was “too hard.” The man wrote the textbook on the subject, now in its fifth edition, and had been a star teacher at Princeton. He went out of his way to tape his lectures, at his own cost, to mitigate some of the attendance problems attributed to the pandemic.

Yet students revolted because they feared, according to The New York Times, that “they were not given the grades that would allow them to get into medical school.”

The professor, meanwhile, saw a different problem: “They weren’t coming to class. . . . They weren’t watching the videos, and they weren’t able to answer the questions.” But the school terminated his employment rather than the students, who are on track to become physicians despite struggling to get into med school.

Every American should be worried because this kind of standard-lowering is becoming commonplace in medical school.

Organic chemistry is a very difficult subject. Doing well in the course in college has been a litmus test for medical-school suitability. It demands discipline, ability to think in three dimensions, memorizing complex structures, managing a series of chemical rules and solving intricate problems. Its intellectual demands and need for disciplined study are surrogates for the discipline and problem-solving physicians must demonstrate throughout their careers.

Jones could not be more correct in his judgment that his organic-chemistry course should be tough. Entry into medical school these days is almost a guarantee that a student will one day have a medical degree and a license to practice medicine. Even struggling students are coached through to graduation. I know this as I was the associate dean for curriculum at Penn’s medical school. But until recently, the standards for admission were so high that one could be sure that at least students admitted had the potential to excel. Jones’ experience at NYU makes clear that assumption is no longer correct.

The leadership at most American medical schools have adopted many of the same tenets of critical race theory invading education for K-12 students. It calls for diversity above meritocracy and makes being sure a med-school class has racial diversity the No. 1 priority. That would be fine if meritocracy and diversity could be coexistent, but increasingly, they can’t. To get around this conundrum, admission standards are being abandoned; there has even been an initiative to do away with organic chemistry as a pre-med requirement, with schools like Harvard considering it.

The story of NYU and Professor Jones shows why. It will be much easier to fill the diversity quotas if organic chemistry and achievement tests are eliminated as admission requirements. Hence the recent decision to dilute the hard-science content of the MCAT, the achievement test generally required for medical-school applicants.

Endless catering to the demands of students when it means diluting standards and reducing academic rigor is a prescription for disaster in American health care. Think about it: Would you want a surgeon doing your appendectomy who had admissions standards lowered and poor test performance disregarded to diversify his or her medical-school class? Would you want that person caring for your family member during a stay in the ICU? Of course not.

We must never forget that the high standards required of future doctors reflect the complexity and high stakes of the work. They exist to protect future patients, period. That’s why physicians and patients alike should fight the imposition of diversity, equity and inclusion policies — which are inherently divisive and often discriminatory — in all aspects of medical care. The health and well-being of patients depends on pushing back and keeping standards high.

There are two applicants for every opening in American medical schools. We need to be sure students are accepted based on their academic potential and good character — and nothing else. This has been the standard up until the rise of woke medicine, and this is the standard we must still uphold. Anything less will damage our health-care system, undermine the achievements of those minority students who truly deserve admission to medical school and allow in the sorts of unqualified students who couldn’t cut it in Professor Jones’ organic-chemistry class at NYU.

I don’t want them as my future doctor, and neither should you.

Dr. Stanley Goldfarb, a former associate dean of curriculum at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine, is chairman of Do No Harm.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    great points ^^

i took organic chem, that wasn't a problem. inorganic chem was a little tougher, but not so bad...

now physical chemistry and that professor, they can eat a bag a dicks. least liked course i took in college.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    great points ^^

i took organic chem, that wasn't a problem. inorganic chem was a little tougher, but not so bad...

now physical chemistry and that professor, they can eat a bag a dicks. least liked course i took in college.
    Small or large bag?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    huge