Thread: Tim Burton’s ‘Wednesday’ called ‘racist’ for casting black actors as bullies

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Tim Burton’s ‘Wednesday’ called ‘racist’ for casting black actors as bullies

By Erin Keller - New York Post

Director Tim Burton and Netflix are under fire from fans who claim the casting and undertones of the new series “Wednesday” are racist.

The show — a dramedy highlighting Wednesday Addams’ time as a boarding school student — premiered last week to record ratings and mixed reviews.

Critics have taken issue with black actress Joy Sunday playing a mean girl at Nevermore Academy and black actor Iman Marson portraying a bully and the son of a corrupt mayor.

The mayor also owns Pilgrim World — an eyebrow-raising choice considering the museum celebrates pilgrims and colonizers.

A rep for Burton, who served as a director and executive producer of the series, dismissed the flak when contacted by The Post for comment Wednesday.

“I’m not forwarding a comment request this silly to Tim,” Mike Simpson of WME responded.

“However, apparently Daylight Savings Time is racist,” he added, including a link to a recent CNN article that argued that DST disproportionately affects the sleep and health of minority communities.

“’Wednesday’ was shot in Romania where DST is observed. Maybe that’s a better angle,” Simpson concluded.

The Post also contacted Netflix for comment.

Jenna Ortega, who considers herself “75 percent Mexican and 25 percent Puerto Rican,” leads the “Wednesday” cast as the titular character.

“Don’t get me wrong…I love Jenna Ortega and that she’s playing Wednesday but one thing I hate about this show is that why did they make ALL the black people in this show terrible people?” one viewer tweeted. “Like how did Netflix see nothing wrong with this? I hate Tim Burton’s racist self.”

“Me trying to badly to push pass the racist and anti-Black undertones in the Wednesday Addams Netflix show. Like whoever thought making the Black man as the owner of a pilgrim amusement park is literally going to hell,” another sighed in a since-deleted tweet.

This isn’t the first time Burton, 64, has been criticized on the subject of actors of color in his projects. In 2016, while promoting “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” star Samuel L. Jackson speculated he was the first black lead of a Burton film.

The director responded to Jackson’s comments in a Bustle interview. “Nowadays, people are talking about it more,” he said regarding film diversity. But “things either call for things, or they don’t.”

“I remember back when I was a child watching ‘The Brady Bunch’ and they started to get all politically correct. Like, OK, let’s have an Asian child and a black. I used to get more offended by that than just… I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, ‘that’s great.’ I didn’t go like, ‘OK, there should be more white people in these movies,'” Burton added.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    There were white bullies too. And the black chick bully turned into an ally 3/4 of the way through the season.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    you can't win

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    “I’m not forwarding a comment request this silly to Tim,” Mike Simpson of WME responded.

“However, apparently Daylight Savings Time is racist,” he added, including a link to a recent CNN article that argued that DST disproportionately affects the sleep and health of minority communities."

Careful Boi. Get yeeself cancelled!