Thread: Chat GPT and AI tools

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts

Skynet Chat GPT and AI tools

Maybe this belong in tech talk, mods please feel free to move it if you feel so, but I thought this might be a more general chatter on AI and how it's shaping things.

So I signed up for OpenAI which has a few tools. One is an AI image creator - you can tell it "generate me an image of a dog stealing bacon off a christmas tree, in impressionist style" and boom you'll get a few workable images. You can then highlight areas and further edit "make the dog orange and bigger, and it looks sad" etc. The implications for graphic design are wild.

But this ChatGPT tool they have is blowing my mind. I'll give a few examples I've seen/tried:

• Ask it "create me a healthy meal plan for two weeks of dinners, I don't like tofu, allergic to nuts, and am on a keto diet." (not my diet fyi just giving an example lol). And boom, a minute later there are 14 complete recipes. Now you ask it "Now create me a shopping list for this, in a table format" and out it spits.
    • Ask it to read your code and find bugs. Or tell it to write highly specific code, in various languages or even iOS/Android shortcuts. Easy work for this thing.
    • Ask it to summarize a book (say Warren Buffet's 10 Golden Principals) with five key points, write it out in essay format and keep it to 1400 words with an intro and outro (which you could create a Youtube video about and claim it as your own, or turn it in as an essay for school). Ten seconds later it's done.
    • Tell it you're starting a company in Wyoming with 5 principals all with different ownership shares and voting writes and need a legal contract accordingly. Out it comes. I've seen lawyers online playing with this get genuinely shook. Same with professional Copywriters, who use the tool and say "holy shit... but that's my job."
    • I had my wife play with it and input a description of a complex medical case she dreamed up, with a patient backstory and some symptoms and ask for a differential. It gave a damn good one, far better than googling it ever could. Then she gave it some complex data from a lab result and asked for a treatment plan. Again... it was almost bang on with what a doctor might come up with.

At the barest minimum I can see this replacing google as we know it today, but I think in our lifetimes it's going to replace far more than that.

Anyone else played with this yet? Found any ways to apply it to your work and are you spooked or excited about this future?
    Last edited by Godfather; 12-13-2022 at 07:41 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (12-15-2022), PorkChopSandwiches (12-13-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Wow, that's wild!

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I have been hearing its pretty good

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    That's incredible, it's both believable and unbelievable. Because the computing power we have at our disposal nowadays is mind blowing already.

I predict another move. Away from personal device power, increasingly to the internet. For example, it's not like we're going to need more ram for our mobile phones. And already they certainly not increasing the amount of ROM. No more external storage on mob phones, etc.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Godfather (01-21-2023)