Thread: Kansas universities may scrap algebra requirement because too many students fail it

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,110 Times in 59,910 Posts

Stupid Kansas universities may scrap algebra requirement because too many students fail it

COLLEGE FIX STAFF

Kansas universities may scrap their algebra graduation requirement because too many students fail the course, NPR Kansas reported.

“About one in three Kansas students fails college algebra the first time around. Some take it several times before they pass. Others get so frustrated that they drop out altogether. And that cuts into university graduation rates,” the news outlet reported Dec. 12.

With that, the Kansas Board of Regents is considering alternative requirements such as statistics and quantitative reasoning under what’s called a Math Pathways program, it added.

“We’re sending the majority of students down the college algebra road, which is really not necessary,” said Daniel Archer, vice president of academic affairs for the Kansas Board of Regents. “It’s not practical. It’s not really needed. And it’s not relevant for their fields.”

The pathways program aims to accelerate “students’ path through developmental math and enables them to take different paths through the math curriculum depending on their course of study,” the Daily Caller reported.

According to NPR Kansas, Regent Wint Winter said investigating the new pathway program is critical because enrollment continues to decline.

“It’s incumbent on us to be aware of all the roadblocks that are out there for students … reasons why they’re leaving, reasons why they’re not graduating,” Winter said. “So I would urge us all to … find ways to find the bandwidth to keep this moving along.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,894 Times in 11,969 Posts
    They fail algebra because your instructors suck. You still need algebra in statistics, morons.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (12-20-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't understand what's so hard about algebra to be honest. I had no issues with any math course I took in high school until I got to calculus and that was the first that was actually challenging for me. Still passed it though. But I can't imagine that first year college algebra would be more difficult than that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I don't understand what's so hard about algebra to be honest. I had no issues with any math course I took in high school until I got to calculus and that was the first that was actually challenging for me. Still passed it though. But I can't imagine that first year college algebra would be more difficult than that.
    They only thing I could think of that would make it harder than high school is that college algebra is covered in a semester rather than the entire year that high school has to go over it, so you're seeing everything compressed in a smaller amount of time in college. But really, that shouldn't be an issue either, because you've likely seen it already by the time you get to it in college.

Calculus is easy, provided that you don't question a few foundational things. I've found that a lot of people that had a hard time with Calculus made the mistake of trying too hard to understand some things that you should just let come naturally. I had no idea what the hell my instructor was talking about the first time I saw limits, but I just shrugged and went along with it, mimicking everything I saw until it just kind of clicked. It wasn't until I got to Real Analysis that everything I took on faith became logically sound and crystal clear to me.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    They only thing I could think of that would make it harder than high school is that college algebra is covered in a semester rather than the entire year that high school has to go over it, so you're seeing everything compressed in a smaller amount of time in college. But really, that shouldn't be an issue either, because you've likely seen it already by the time you get to it in college.

Calculus is easy, provided that you don't question a few foundational things. I've found that a lot of people that had a hard time with Calculus made the mistake of trying too hard to understand some things that you should just let come naturally. I had no idea what the hell my instructor was talking about the first time I saw limits, but I just shrugged and went along with it, mimicking everything I saw until it just kind of clicked. It wasn't until I got to Real Analysis that everything I took on faith became logically sound and crystal clear to me.
    Our final in Calculus was only 5 questions long and we had an hour and 45 minutes to complete it and I didn't finish because I ran out of time

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-20-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 5,214 Posts
    I've forgotten it all.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I've forgotten it all.
    Do you need it?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 5,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Do you need it?
    No, good point. I think my algebra is ok but I haven't used calculus in 30 years

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts