Thread: Las Vegas school outbreak leaves 130 students 'projectile vomiting' outside, parents without answers

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Gross Las Vegas school outbreak leaves 130 students 'projectile vomiting' outside, parents without answers

By Lawrence Richard | Fox News

Parents are still without answers nearly a week after a gastrointestinal illness outbreak affected more than 100 children at an elementary school in Las Vegas, resulting in teachers lining the affected students up outside the facility as they repeatedly vomited.

Officials with the Clark County School District (CCSD) and Southern Nevada Health District (SNHD) have not said what caused the incident, which took place on Jan. 27, as many of the 130 affected students experienced "projectile vomiting" outside Wayne N. Tanaka Elementary School, according to 8 News Now.

According to the report, a parent said the students were offered trashcans to direct their expelled contents.

"A teacher said it was 'like Armageddon.' Our daughter said there were trash cans lined up and kids just throwing up everywhere," Danielle Farrow, a mother of one student, told 8 News Now.

Another mother, who chose not to be identified, told the outlet her daughter was unwell that Thursday and agreed to keep her home Friday after she threw up "five or six times overnight."

The parent speculated contaminated cafeteria food the children consumed on Thursday may have been the source.

The school district notified parents that they are investigating the incident but failed to provide any additional details, 8 News Now reported.

"The Southern Nevada Health District (SNHD) is investigating the cause of the gastrointestinal illnesses reported by several of the students at Tanaka," the district wrote in an email. "We are currently working with the Clark County School District Health Services Department and SNHD on implementing measures to prevent further illness."

The email continued: "Gastrointestinal viruses are common and easily spread from person to person. Regular and appropriate handwashing is one of the most effective prevention methods for reducing the spread of gastrointestinal illness and other illnesses."

"People who are ill, or caring for someone who is ill, should wash their hands carefully with soap and water before, during, and after preparing food. Sick people should not prepare food or care for others," it added.Nearly a week after the incident, the school has still not notified the parents about what may have caused the incident.

"I don’t know if they have all the information present as to what happened, but I wish that we did have more constant updates as to what’s going on," the unidentified mother said. "At the end of the day, we don’t know what’s going on. We don’t know how to help them. I mean, if kids are a priority, then we need to know what’s going on, so we can help our children."

The letter was signed by the school’s principal, Mr. Davis.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    sounds like norovirus... or a leak

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-04-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    Ya my first thought was norovirus too. I've had the pleasure of experiencing it twice... both were awful. The first one, my brother went on a band trip in highschool. About half the trip of 100 kids got incredibly sick, holed up in hotel rooms fighting for a turn in the bathrooms. When he got home, anyone related to those kids had to miss a week of school (myself included) and they had to find specialized cleaners for their musical instruments The health authority was called to clean the hotel. Ended up going through our household after that which was fun.

The second time, my cousin who's a nurse brought it to a family bbq. We were all outdoors and only together a few hours but I guess it passed around through shared food and hugs. I was violently ill for 3 days and could hardly look at food for a week, I think the final count was 17/30 of us at the family party that got sick.

It's insanely just contagious.
    Last edited by Godfather; 02-04-2023 at 06:59 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (02-05-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i was at a scientific conference in santa fe that had a breakout at it... attendance was really low after the first night fortunately i didn't get it but the organizers haven't been back to that venue since. saw a speaker on the last night pass out at the podium from being so weak but still trying to deliver their talk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (02-05-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    Never heard of it .

vCash
    Mentioned