Thread: St John's cheerleaders refuse to perform at game after school fails to recognize them on Women in Sports Day

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Drama St John's cheerleaders refuse to perform at game after school fails to recognize them on Women in Sports Day

By Ryan Morik | Fox News

In an Instagram post for National Girls and Women in Sports Day on Wednesday, the St. John's University athletics account neglected to recognize both the cheer and dance teams.

The school lists nine women's sports on its official website, all of which were included in the post – cheer and dance are not listed as women's sports.

In response to being excluded from recognition, cheerleaders did not perform during Wednesday's game against Seton Hall and wore shirts that read "WE ARE WOMEN IN SPORTS."

The university called it an "inadvertent omission" and is working with the squads to move forward.

"There was an inadvertent omission in a social media post from the Athletic Department celebrating ‘Women in Sports’ that failed to tag or depict our cheerleaders and dance team," the school said in a statement to Fox News Digital. "The cheerleaders expressed disappointment with this perceived slight and are now engaged in an active dialogue with the Athletic Department to move forward. St. John’s University values the active and dedicated contributions made by all our students especially our student-athletes."

The official Instagram account of the cheerleading squad posted the following:

"National Women In Sports Day is defined as: a day of observance held to acknowledge the accomplishments of female athletes, recognize the influence of sports participation for women, and honor the progress and continuing struggle for equality for women in sports. Not only today, but everyday, it is important that ALL women athletes are recognized for their hard work, dedication, and strength. We are so proud of all of the women student athletes of St. John’s Cheer today and everyday!"

Allison McCann, a cheerleader for the Red Storm, also took to Instagram to celebrate her teammates after the omission from the school.

"Taking today to wish this team a National Women in Sports Day. A day to acknowledge the accomplishments of female athletes and recognize them for all their hard work," she wrote. "Even through constant neglect, this team does not remain silent. I could not be more proud of this group of athletes for standing up for what we believe is right …"

"The passion each individual has for this sport should not go unnoticed. When given less, we strive for more. We deserve recognition just the same as every other ATHLETE. GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE."

Cheerleading coach Carolyn Renda and dance team coach Christine McCarton did not reply to requests for comment from Fox News Digital.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    So.....cheerleading. A sport or not? Or in another way of looking at it, are cheerleaders athletes?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    So.....cheerleading. A sport or not? Or in another way of looking at it, are cheerleaders athletes?
    It depends. I think collegiate cheerleading squads at major universities are pretty hardcore, as are professional sports' squads. High school and smaller colleges are debatable. The high school squads that compete in competitions are usually pretty damn athletic. I've known cheerleaders that were in better shape than most male athletes, and then there were those that were complete jokes, scraping from the bottom of the barrel 'cause no one else would do it.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 02-03-2023 at 04:21 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-04-2023), KevinD (02-03-2023), lost in melb. (02-05-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    the cheer squad practices pretty hard at university... i would call it a sport if golf qualifies

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    If Beer Pong is a sport, I think Cheerleading definitely qualifies.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    or cornhole for that matter

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    It depends. I think collegiate cheerleading squads at major universities are pretty hardcore, as are professional sports' squads. High school and smaller colleges are debatable. The high school squads that compete in competitions are usually pretty damn athletic. I've known cheerleaders that were in better shape than most male athletes, and then there were those that were complete jokes, scraping from the bottom of the barrel 'cause no one else would do it.
    That was my thinking too. The cheerleaders at sports games I've seen just do some dances for the crowd, but I've seen my wife watching the competition shows and they are legit athletes, the men and women doing that stuff are pound for pound as strong or stronger than many other athletes. I noticed the article mentions a cheer team and a dance team. I'd say recognize the dance team presuming they're the ones risking their lives with these acrobatics while the dance team just shakes their pompoms. The dance team? I dono, seems like that's more part of the arts program
    Last edited by Godfather; 02-04-2023 at 06:52 PM.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    My daughter was in cheer from like 5 yo into high school. They are 100% athletes. They train hard

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-08-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    My daughter was in cheer from like 5 yo into high school. They are 100% athletes. They train hard
    yeah they do

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Coworker of mine with two boys and two girls said the Cheer programs at the elite level get even more expensive than putting her boys through hockey programs I never would've guessed, hockey is crazy expensive.