True Crime Daily

CLEVELAND (TCD) -- A 58-year-old man will spend a year and a half in prison for offering to pay thousands of dollars for a hit man to kill his son but was caught after dialing the wrong number.

WJW-TV reports a Cuyahoga County judge sentenced Desmen Ramsey to 18 months in prison with two years of probation following his release. Court records show Ramsey pleaded guilty March 6 to one count of aggravated assault, which was downgraded from an initial charge of complicity to commit murder.

Westlake Police Capt. Jerry Vogel told WJW that on Oct. 13, a business on Canterbury Boulevard received three calls and two voicemails from Ramsey where he spoke about wanting to kill his son. In the message, which was shared by WJW, Ramsey says, "It’s a 5 grand hit on him."

Ramsey added lots of expletives to the message, saying he didn’t care "where he at or what he doing or who he with. Kill that [swear word]."

Vogel said the number Ramsey apparently wanted to call was only one digit off from the business.

At his sentencing hearing, Ramsey told the judge he drank too much when he made the call and it stemmed from getting into an argument with his son. Ramsey apologized, saying, "It was a disagreement and I’m very sorry for what I did."

He added, "It shouldn’t ever have happened. I wasn’t being a father."