#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Warning Average New Car Transactions To Surpass $50,000: Toyota Sales Boss

BY LEWIN DAY - The Drive

The pandemic and resulting chip shortage threw the entire car industry for a loop. Prices of new cars spiraled to new heights and used prices followed close behind them. According to executives at Toyota, the climb isn't over yet.

Jack Hollis, head of sales for Toyota's North American arm, has been around the block a few times since joining the company in 1992. He's got the experience and knowledge to identify sales trends in the auto industry. Speaking to Automotive News, Hollis stated he fully expects the average transaction price for new vehicles to break the $50,000 barrier. What's more, he expects prices to continue to rise beyond that level.

Driving this rise, Hollis believes, is consumer demand. Absent of supply constraints, he suggests that the auto industry could sell anywhere from 16.7 to 17 million vehicles in the US in 2023. "The only thing holding us back is the totality of the supply chain and the fragility of it, because we're not back to normal anywhere globally," said Hollis.

Realistically, projections are that 15 million vehicles will be sold. That shortfall of 2 million vehicles would add to pent-up demand for new vehicles from previous years. This could sit at up to 6 million, given low production figures due to the chip shortage which started in 2020. Until that's solved, prices will remain elevated. It's the basic law of supply and demand.

Inflation isn't helping the matter, either. Raw material costs have risen substantially, according to Bob Young, Toyota's vice president of purchasing supplier development. "The inflationary pressures really are driving all of us to work more aggressively and collaboratively on cost reduction," said Young. Relief isn't yet on the horizon, with Young suggesting any price drops on the supplier side wouldn't flow on to customers until 2024.

For context, the median income in the USA was $45,470 in 2021. Meanwhile, contemporary financial advice would suggest spending no more than 15% of one's monthly income on a car. That clocks out to roughly $568 a month for a car payment. Thus, if you're an average person on a median salary, and you want to buy the average new car, you'll be looking at a 10-year loan term. That's what many financial advisors would call "a bad idea."

We've been charting this story for some time now. As recently as October 2021, the new record price was just $45,031. Meanwhile, in January this year, it spiked up to $49,507, already perilously close to that $50,000 magic number.

The overall theme here is that new car prices seem unlikely to cool down in the short term. You'd best make sure your piggy bank is bulging if you want to purchase new under the current climate.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Guess I'm not buying a Toyota any time soon.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Guess I'm not buying a Toyota any time soon.
    I'm guessing that will be the norm regardless of manufacturer. There's a Chevy dealership I pass every day going to and from work. They have sparse inventory and one of the full sized pickups they have parked by the road has a price of just under $90,000. For a pickup truck.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's fucking nuts. It wasn't that long ago that a house could be built for $100,000.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (03-30-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    This is one of those weird numbers that makes me question where the hell the economy is. I read the average car payment is $700 a month and a record number of people are paying $1000+ a month right now. On top of that, this article is saying the average transaction is going to surpass $50k.

People could buy a brand new Corolla or even Jetta for half that. Inflation is nuts, grocery prices are out of control, the market is volatile.... so why are people blowing so much money on the absolute worst asset? I'm not really trying to be critical of individual decisions but when you look at it on a macro level it's super confusing.
    Last edited by Godfather; 03-30-2023 at 02:34 AM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-30-2023), KevinD (03-30-2023), lost in melb. (03-30-2023), Pony (03-30-2023), Teh One Who Knocks (03-30-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    This is one of those weird numbers that makes me question where the hell the economy is. I read the average car payment is $700 a month and a record number of people are paying $1000+ a month right now. On top of that, this article is saying the average transaction is going to surpass $50k.

People could buy a brand new Corolla or even Jetta for half that. Inflation is nuts, grocery prices are out of control, the market is volatile.... so why are people blowing so much money on the absolute worst asset? I'm not really trying to be critical of individual decisions but when you look at it on a macro level it's super confusing.
    Yeah, if you already have a car, then it really doesn't make sense to buy a new one at this point in time, unless you live in California and the prog-mob will hang you by your toenails for not having an EV.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I'm guessing that will be the norm regardless of manufacturer. There's a Chevy dealership I pass every day going to and from work. They have sparse inventory and one of the full sized pickups they have parked by the road has a price of just under $90,000. For a pickup truck.
    I was going to grab a pic of the truck with the price on it this morning, but directly across the street there was a bunch of police activity for something and without knowing what it was, I didn't want to stop and look suspicious taking pix of vehicles at 3 AM

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-30-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I was going to grab a pic of the truck with the price on it this morning, but directly across the street there was a bunch of police activity for something and without knowing what it was, I didn't want to stop and look suspicious taking pix of vehicles at 3 AM
    They might think you're a gigolo looking for clients

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Msrp on my truck (2015 silverado 1500 LTZ) with all options except 4x4 was around $52k. I bought it used for about $28-29k. Msrp for same truck now is around $65k.
    I bought my 2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE new for $30k. Msrp was $42k. Same car now is around $51k.
    Msrp on my 2020 Challenger was about $51k. I bought it used (traded in the camaro, and financed right at $30k. New Challenger with sMe options is $62k now.
    Bought my home for $80k 20 years ago. Value was $90k. It's worth almost $200k now (based on similar sales in my neighborhood, not tax value).
    In this same 20 years,my income has gone from $60k to $150k last year. Groceries are high, but not horrible here.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    CA gas prices are so high, you are better off with an EV. When I bought my Volt in 2013, gas as over $6. They money I saved in gas covered my new car payment and I got HOV access driving solo. At my work I had a level 2 charger port installed, and now I dont even have to charge at home anymore