Thread: Luke Combs' Cover of Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' Sparks Racism Discourse

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

The Race Card Luke Combs' Cover of Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' Sparks Racism Discourse

By the TMZ Staff

Luke Combs' cover of Tracy Chapman's hit, "Fast Car," has been dominating the country charts -- but amid its success ... some have wondered if racism is afoot in the genre.

Here's the deal ... think pieces have been published of late that delve into this topic -- including one from WaPo, which really kick-started this conversation -- and they're all posing the same question ... why didn't TC resonate with the same audience Luke has???

The answer that a lot of these articles seem to land on -- after interviewing subjects, etc. -- is that, even today, it's hard for Black artists to break through in country. And they're using the example of Luke thrusting new life into "Fast Car" as their exhibit A for that argument.

Of course, in reaching this conclusion ... the word "racism" is getting thrown around a lot.

In fact, the author of the WaPo article put it quite succinctly in promoting her work -- writing, "As Luke Combs's hit cover of Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' dominates the country charts, it’s bringing up some complicated emotions in fans & singers who know that Chapman, as a queer Black woman, would have an almost zero chance at that achievement herself."

Unfortunately for her, it doesn't sound like the Internet's accepting her theory at face value ... and pushing back on the implication that "Fast Car" was some obscure song that's only now getting mainstream recognition -- while also trolling WaPo as reaching for outrage.

You can see how folks are reacting for yourself, but as many of them are pointing out ... "Fast Car" was a monster hit when it was released in '88, and helped Tracy break out into music, not to mention accolades that followed after, including Grammys and other awards.

Even commercially, the song killed ... soaring on a number of charts around the world, and peaking at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 list at the time. Bottom line ... it seems like people are scoffing at the notion that Tracy's missing out/getting snubbed amid Luke's use of it.

And as others are also clarifying ... "Fast Car" was not originally released as country song -- and that, perhaps, the reason it's booming in the country scene right now is because a huge country star did their own rendition with it. That's also known as ... a crossover cover.

We're also just now getting to a huge part of this ... namely, the fact that Tracy has gone on record to applaud Luke for his cover -- and more importantly, the enormous amount of royalties this has generated for her ... seeing how she's the original songwriter here.

Tracy said, "I never expected to find myself on the country charts, but I’m honored to be there. I’m happy for Luke and his success and grateful that new fans have found and embraced 'Fast Car.'" In other words ... she seems to be more than fine with this.

Carry on, folks ... nothing to see here.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    A straight white man is stealing from a queer black woman

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    At least Tracy has the right outlook on it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    I dunno. TC was being constantly played to the pop/rock channels back in the day. I think most of the commentators simply weren't alive or aware of pop music back then.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

Pony (07-17-2023), PorkChopSandwiches (07-17-2023), Teh One Who Knocks (07-19-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    What a crock of shit. It's been 35 years, I'm sure she not only gave permission but is thrilled at all the exposure her original hit is getting with a new generation and the massive royalties being generated by the cover. Artists do it all the time to pay tribute to the original creator, is this any different because she's black?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (07-18-2023), PorkChopSandwiches (07-18-2023), Teh One Who Knocks (07-19-2023)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    What a crock of shit. It's been 35 years, I'm sure she not only gave permission but is thrilled at all the exposure her original hit is getting with a new generation and the massive royalties being generated by the cover. Artists do it all the time to pay tribute to the original creator, is this any different because she's black?
    Its different because she is a black lesbo woman....and probably lost the rights years ago

Also

Combs' version has generated at least $500,000 in global publishing royalties, Billboard estimates, with the bulk going to Chapman, who owns both the writer's and publisher's share of the song.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Its different because she is a black lesbo woman....
    Ahh, I forgot that since she's a minority x2, she's not capable of comprehending or making decisions for herself. It's up to the White Saviors to decide how she should feel!

Oh wait, she did make a statement about it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (07-19-2023), PorkChopSandwiches (07-19-2023)