#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Stupid Senate to no longer enforce dress code for senators

By Pilar Arias , Chad Pergram | Fox News

The U.S. Senate will no longer enforce a dress code for members of the upper house elected by those they serve.

"However, others entering the chamber must comply with the dress code. Coats/ties for men. Business attire for women," tweeted Chad Pergram, Fox News senior congressional correspondent.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., quietly sent the directive to the Senate's sergeant at arms, news website Axios reported.

The change allows Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., to continue to wear his trademark hooded sweatshirts and gym shorts while working for Americans.

Fetterman was previously praised for "turning heads" and "redefining fashion in the stuffy Senate" during his recovery after a six-week stay at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where he was treated for "clinical depression" and "fitted for hearing aids for hearing loss that had made it harder for him to communicate," according to an AP story from May.

The senator even found a workaround to the legislative body's dress code rules by voting from the doorway of the Democrat cloakroom or the side entrance, making sure his vote is recorded before ducking out, per the AP report.

"He’s setting a new dress code," Democrat Vermont Sen. Peter Welch joked to AP in May. "He was struggling. And now he’s a joyful person to be around."

Fetterman faced some backlash against his casual dress code, even from his own staff, according to AP, who "had originally asked him to always wear suits, which he famously hates."

"Senators are able to choose what they wear on the Senate floor. I will continue to wear a suit," Schumer said in a statement to Axios. The news website added that Senate officials said the updated rule will go into effect this week.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How dare we expect our elected officials to look professional

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    fucking clown

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (09-18-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Any day now someone will show up in ratty sweat pants and a wife beater with Cheeto stains all over the front.

Honestly, a good chunk of them have been acting like trash anyway, might as well dress the part.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (09-19-2023), Teh One Who Knocks (09-19-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    I don't know what to say. America

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Americans and Canadians have gone too casual. People are slobs at the office, bigger slobs on airplanes, slobs at nice restaurants. I hate it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Pony (09-19-2023), Teh One Who Knocks (09-19-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I hate wearing ties, so I guess I can run for the Senate now.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I hate wearing ties, so I guess I can run for the Senate now.
    Got an old sweatshirt with a hood?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Susan Collins jokes she will 'wear a bikini' to the Senate while slamming dress code changes

By Brandon Gillespie | Fox News

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, joked Monday that she would "wear a bikini" on the floor of the Senate following Majority Leader Chuck Schumer's, D-N.Y., directive that the body would no longer enforce a dress code for its members.

Her comments were first reported by an NBC News reporter, but were confirmed by Fox News Digital. Collins made the comments while slamming the dress code directive, arguing it "debases the institution," which still requires others entering the chamber to comply with the dress code, including coats and ties for men, and business attire for women.

"Obviously, I'm not going to wear a bikini," Collins said. "But the fact is, as I understand it, I could!"

Fox News Digital confirmed the dress code changes on Sunday after Schumer secretly sent the directive to the Senate's sergeant at arms.

The change will allow Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., to continue wearing his trademark hoodies and gym shorts he is often seen wearing around Capitol Hill after returning from a six-week hospitalization for depression earlier this year.

He had previously found a workaround to the legislative body's dress code rules by voting from the doorway of the Democrat cloakroom or the side entrance, making sure his vote is recorded before ducking out.

Fetterman was blasted by conservatives following the change, with some suggesting the move was made to appease him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Got an old sweatshirt with a hood?

I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy.

I don't mind wearing dress clothes, I just can't stand ties around my neck. I don't like tight crew neck shirts either, and if I'm wearing a button up shirt, the top button is always undone.

Hoodies are a bit too far for me.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-19-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hal would be in a hoodie every day.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Senate unanimously passes formal dress code after uproar

The Senate passed a resolution Wednesday to make business attire a requirement on the Senate floor.

The big picture: The moves comes after backlash to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer's (D-N.Y.) directive to scuttle the chamber's informal dress code, which was widely viewed to be inspired by Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.).

Details The bipartisan resolution requires that business attire be worn on the floor of the Senate, "which for men shall include a coat, tie, and slacks or other long pants."

The bill does not spell out what the attire includes for women.
    Catch up quick: Fetterman has often worn more casual clothes since returning to the Senate this spring after being treated for depression, and he presided over the Senate in a short-sleeve shirt earlier this month.

That appearance caused grumbling among both parties, and dozens of GOP senators wrote to Schumer, asking him to reverse his decision.
    What they're saying: "Though we've never had an official dress code, the events over the past week have made us all feel as though formalizing one is the right path forward," Schumer said on the Senate floor Wednesday.

"I deeply appreciate Senator Fetterman working with me to come to an agreement that we all find acceptable, and of course I appreciate Sen. Manchin and Sen. Romney's leadership on this issue," he added.
    Fetterman, in response, shared a meme on social media featuring actor Kevin James in costume as the character Doug Heffernan casually dressed on the set of 1990s TV sitcom 'The

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    #JusticeForFetterman

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks