Thread: Waffle House Training - Pull Drop Mark Order Calling Method

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts

Waffle House Training - Pull Drop Mark Order Calling Method

I worked in a commercial kitchen for a few years and had never heard of this, it's hilarious and crazy but it sounds like it works

I'm ashamed to admit I watched almost the entire 24 minutes... I need a new hobby in the evening beyond youtube

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    I swore off any food service jobs after working at Bickford's when I was 18 I mostly washed dishes and sometimes sat people (not on the same night) and cooked here or there, but the big problem with cooking was the manager literally wouldnt let you have a menu back there, you simply had to memorize it all. Quick, we need your help on the grill! No, you cant have a menu so that you can see wtf you're supposed to cook! Had waitresses yelling at me because I cooked the wrong shit, I'd tell 'em go yell at Margo for not letting me have any idea of what these names equate to for food

Never been to a waffle house, Denny's was always the 2am shit food to go hang out at I can see the need for some lingo though, my friends and I make up euphemisms for damned near everything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

Godfather (11-23-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    I swore off any food service jobs after working at Bickford's when I was 18 I mostly washed dishes and sometimes sat people (not on the same night) and cooked here or there, but the big problem with cooking was the manager literally wouldnt let you have a menu back there, you simply had to memorize it all. Quick, we need your help on the grill! No, you cant have a menu so that you can see wtf you're supposed to cook! Had waitresses yelling at me because I cooked the wrong shit, I'd tell 'em go yell at Margo for not letting me have any idea of what these names equate to for food

Never been to a waffle house, Denny's was always the 2am shit food to go hang out at I can see the need for some lingo though, my friends and I make up euphemisms for damned near everything.
    Dude, same.

I worked in a kitchen for 2-3 summers and weekends in high school. I've never seen a bigger group of degenerates. They were mostly cool to me, but it was depressing all the same. People who'd failed in other careers and fallen back on cooking and were miserable, addicts, burnouts, a raging lesbian who got fired for constantly sexually harassing people. There was a woman who had a breakdown over portioning steak and quit screaming about working at Starbucks being better. My break time involved my sous making me sit in the smoke pit with him while he ranted and raved about our coworkers. I've forgotten half the dumb shit I saw there but it was bad. I did learn to cook and knife skills so I appreciated that, but it killed my childhood dreams of being a chef real quick.

The worst of all was the head chef. Dude showed up my second summer and had come back from a stint in the UK and acted like Gordon Ramsay. Threw shit at us, flipped his lid all the time. I was a 17 year old kid and couldn't sleep the night before every shift just wondering what this guy was going to do to me the next day. Shortly after I quit, he won a small local celebrity food competition and had a show on the Canadian food network which pissed me off as he acted like this sweetheart on TV... but then he died from a drug overdose at about age 29, so while I'm not a complete heartless prick, I can't help feel it was karma.

Fuck that industry.
    Last edited by Godfather; 11-23-2023 at 03:36 AM.