Thread: Marvel Actor Said He Had ‘Trauma’ From ‘Eternals’ Bad Reviews, Went To Therapy For It

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Precious Snowflake Marvel Actor Said He Had ‘Trauma’ From ‘Eternals’ Bad Reviews, Went To Therapy For It

By Amanda Harding - The Daily Wire

Actor Kumail Nanjiani said that the terrible reviews of the Marvel film “Eternals” in 2021 affected his mental health so much that he went to therapy for it.

“The reviews were bad, and I was too aware of it,” the 45-year-old said during a recent appearance on the podcast “Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum,” per The Hollywood Reporter. “I was reading every review and checking too much.”

“It was really, really hard because Marvel thought that movie was going to be really, really well reviewed, so they lifted the embargo early and put it in some fancy movie festivals and they sent us on a big global tour to promote the movie right as the embargo lifted,” Nanjiani explained.

Their plan backfired, however, and led to the actors promoting the film as many reviewers heaped criticism on it.

“I think there was some weird soup in the atmosphere for why that movie got slammed so much, and I think not much of it has to do with the actual quality of the movie,” the actor said. “It was really hard, and that was when I thought it was unfair to me and unfair to [my wife] Emily, and I can’t approach my work this way anymore. Some sh** has to change, so I started counseling. I still talk to my therapist about that.”

“Emily says that I do have trauma from it,” Nanjiani continued. “We actually just got dinner with somebody else from that movie and we were like, ‘That was tough, wasn’t it?’ and he’s like ‘Yeah, that was really tough,’ and I think we all went through something similar.”

“Eternals” is a superhero film based on the fictional Marvel Comics race of humanoids. It was directed and co-written by Chloé Zhao and features an ensemble cast of big-name stars, including Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Kit Harington, and others. The movie grossed $402 million worldwide and received some awards and nominations, but it was also plagued by bad reviews and mostly panned by critics as not meeting expectations.

The Marvel film currently has a 47% critic score and 77% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes. “Clearly, we’re supposed to leave the cinema filled with an urgent sense of anticipation. But all I felt was relief that the two-and-a-half hour running time had finally come to an end,” the Sydney Morning Herald reviewer said.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (02-08-2024)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I had trauma from watching it. Didn't need a therapist though, cause I'm not a pussy.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

FBD (02-08-2024), lost in melb. (02-08-2024), Teh One Who Knocks (02-08-2024)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I had trauma from watching it. Didn't need a therapist though, cause I'm not a pussy.
    That's because you didn't receive a 3 million dollar salary

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Disney ruined Marvel just like they ruined Star Wars. I watched that infinity gauntlet movie and it was absolutely horrible and the only way they could have saved it was to have Dr Strange snap out of that stupid meme future as he pulled the time gem away in the opening scene of the very next movie. All these other permutations are just bad not-even-fan fiction that have no relation to the old comics from which they were based on. Offensive, those who run the industry are openly hellbent on destroying all of these franchises and turning them gay.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    These Hollywood types are insanely detached from reality. I had a moment of just awe the other day seeing a clip of Jay-Z whining his wife didn't receive a grammy while he got his lifetype whatever award, and then turned around and drank some top-shelf booze out of. Ya you're all so hard done by with your mean movie reviews and award show snubs. We're all crying for you.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-13-2024), FBD (02-12-2024), lost in melb. (02-10-2024), Teh One Who Knocks (02-13-2024)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I read that Chris Hemsworth got paid millions as Thor in one of the Marvel movies. Someone counted his lines and it was a whopping 11. Something like 7 minutes combined screen time.

Used to argue with Porky saying no film or sports celeb is worth 20 million a movie or year and still stand by it. Yes they put butts in seats but the secret is...if it's a good product the fans will still be there.