#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Belle View Post
    I wouldn't know, as I've never seen it.
    Having your fingernails pulled out with rusty pliers would be more enjoyable, but it's your choice

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yt Trash View Post

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't think it sucked necessarily, it was entertaining to watch once, but I don't understand why it was nominated for best picture.

I am fixed

"Somedays I wake up and feel like nobody loves me. Other days I wake up and feel like I love nobody. Sometimes I wake up and feel tired, and worn out. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I cannot face the day. But someday I'll wake up and realize that waking up is pretty stupid because it just makes you feel like crap."

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Having your fingernails pulled out with rusty pliers would be more enjoyable, but it's your choice
    That's debatable..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    That's debatable..
    Not in my thread it isn't

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Belle View Post
    Oh ok. I'll check it out at some point. Thanks for the review!
    Don't be fooled Belle!

Just look at the Pocahontas script and add all this cheese:

Then add some blue food coloring and bad directing and you get Avatar!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Three Very Important Reasons Why Avatar Sucks

Of course Avatar is worth watching---more than once, too. It's too gorgeous and too important of a film to not see it. You must see it.

But... it sucks hard, and here's why:

The white guilt/noble savage complex: Is James Cameron so unaware of this or so stupid that he really made this movie? Or does he think we're stupid? The aliens were like every non-white ethnic stereotype all rolled into one. It made me cringe. It was a cross between the Smurfs and the Lord of the Rings. The story beat us over the head with its childish obviousness: greedy white miners bad, happy spiritual woo-woo aliens good. $300 million. James fucking Cameron. And that's the best we can do? Which leads to my second gripe.

Everything about this movie was so stupidly one-dimensional, again I was cringing. Cardboard characters with no depth. Stupid lines: "Everything changed, I fell in love!" Wow. Really? You mean like when you're a teenager? Greedy bad human miners force out blue woo-woo aliens because they want to strip mine their holy spirit land. The substance being mined is the most embarrassingly named metaphor ever: unobtainium. Cuz you can't obtain it. GET IT? It's like a symbol of our greed, man, ya dig it? The man sent to spy on the people becomes one of them to gain their trust, and behold: he falls in love with the chief's daughter and turns sides! Wait a minute... that reminds of some other movie, which takes me to my third point.

It's not science fiction. No, seriously: it's not. It's fucking Dances with Wolves, only with mechs and aliens instead of native Americans and horses. The plot of a science fiction story has to revolve around the science: take it out and you have no story. Take another Cameron film, Terminator, for example: without the element of time travel and the cyborgs, there's no story at all. The story can't be translated into a different genre. How could 2001, A Space Odyssey possibly be any other kind of story? It can't, and that's how you know it's science fiction. Real science fiction. Avatar is just Dances with Wolves or The Last Samurai, only with rockets and laser beams instead of horses and swords. It's not science fiction.

Like I said: it's still worth seeing. But check your brain at the door.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Well I liked it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

You liked it?

Just out of curiosity, Minz, do you dye your hair?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

You liked it?

Just out of curiosity, Minz, do you dye your hair?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So ur over the moon at Cameron's planned trilogy then Lance??

James Cameron Planning 'Avatar' Trilogy

By now everyone knows that not only is "Avatar" a huge hit, but also director James Cameron never expected it to be anything less than a blockbuster. So it's not a huge surprise that the director confirms this week that he has always planned to do an "Avatar" sequel, and hopefully even turn the franchise into a trilogy (you hear that, George Lucas?).

"I've had a storyline in mind from the start - there are even scenes in 'Avatar' that I kept in because they lead to the sequel," Cameron tells Entertainment Weekly in this week's issue. "It just makes sense to think of it as a two or three film arc, in terms of the business plan. 'The CG [computer graphic] plants and trees and creatures and the musculo-skeletal rigging of the main characters - that all takes an enormous amount of time to create. It'd be a waste not to use it again."

In other words: Cameron is taking a kind of "green" approach to the blue-skinned characters: Recycle, reuse, and reduce what might otherwise be underused filmmaking.

Directors often hint about sequels that never come about, but the fact that "Avatar" star Sam Worthington has already signed on to reprise his role as Jake Sully suggests the plans look pretty solid. And Cameron has had good luck with sequels in the past: "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" made more than seven times as much money as the original "Terminator"; and "Aliens," Cameron's sequel to Ridley Scott's "Alien" may not have outpaced the original at the box office, but it was by all other metrics a solid hit.

As for other cast members returning for an "Avatar" sequel, actor Stephen Lang, who played Colonel Miles Quaritch, the baddest guy in the movie, thinks he could make a return: "You think those two arrows in my chest are going to stop me from coming back?" Lang told EW, "Nothing's over so long as they've got my DNA."

Whatever Cameron imagines for the planet Pandora in the sequel, he'll probably stick with an environmentalist theme.

When asked this week at a private industry screening of the film in Los Angeles about the film having a "political agenda," Cameron said, "I don't know if there is a political agenda exactly, but as an artist I felt a need to say something about what I saw around me. I think we all need to take stewardship of our planet," adding: "I think everyone should be a tree hugger."

If the "Avatar" sequel does happen, it'll be a few years before audiences can lay their 3D-glasses-enhanced eyes on it. Cameron is currently in pre-production on his next movie, "Battle Angel" in which he'll use some of the same CG technology he created for "Avatar." That film is slated to hit theaters in 2011.

El Goofy Fantastico!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts

"It's not science fiction"...so I guess flying to a distant planet in a space ship, finding 9 foot tall aliens there and then using a virtual reality device to transplant your conscientiousness into a large 'avatar' to roam around the planet is pretty much a war film.All of the alien creatures there and plant life must have been a mirage...

wtf....honestly

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I liked the movie... But where I differ from lance is that I really dont give a fuck... Was I entertained for a bit? Yes! Am I done with Avatar? Yes.. Do I give a shit about Avatar? No.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothBob View Post

James Cameron Planning 'Avatar' Trilogy
    Based on his inability to write original stories, we should take bets on what blockbuster series he'll rip off?

Star Wars
    T.L.O.T.R.
    Indiana Jones
    Other Disney or Pixar movies....