Page 303 of 495 FirstFirst ... 203 253 293 301 302 303 304 305 313 353 403 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 7416

Thread: What's the last movie you've seen?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    How are they even allowed to put the Statue of Liberty on that crap

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Captain America : The Winter Soldier

Good movie, I agree with DGX and Dee. It's one of the better comic book hero movies. Great action and fighting scenes. Little or no character development...or real interactions , but that's not why I watch these movies.

The only thing I didn't like was how his shield would knock people down when thrown, yet get embedded half a foot into concrete walls ...or cut metal .........ya ya I know shut up

I'll watch this again...the over 2 hour running time flew by

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    oh and I thought that Chris Evans was absolutely dreamy and Scarlett Johansson was just kinda meh

The Prolapse Champion
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I didn't like the 1st Captain America so I dunno if I should watch that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    The Winter Soldier is light years better than the 1st Cap flick. Give it a whirl.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Lambchop (08-02-2014), Yt Trash (08-02-2014)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    How are they even allowed to put the Statue of Liberty on that crap
    Because they got all kinds of cameos

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Good movie, I agree with DGX and Dee. It's one of the better comic book hero movies. Great action and fighting scenes. Little or no character development...or real interactions , but that's not why I watch these movies.

The only thing I didn't like was how his shield would knock people down when thrown, yet get embedded half a foot into concrete walls ...or cut metal .........ya ya I know shut up

I'll watch this again...the over 2 hour running time flew by
    I thought there was tons of character development. Granted it was a sequel so the main characters primary motivations' were defined in earlier flicks, but I thought the plot and exposition deepened their development a bit. The newer cats that survived... there'll be more movies. They introduced a few heavy hitters that'll become important in future movies..

For example: SPOILER:

The nurse/SHIELD Agent/Sharon is Peggy Carter's niece, and in the comics she becomes Cap's modern day girlfriend. Talk about keeping it in the family, eh?

Pay attention to Jasper Stilwell when they're on top of the building. He mentions Banner and Strange. That's a pretty clear indicator that Marvel's gonna do Doctor Strange, which should be all kinds of freakin' awesome.

<=== Doctor Strange fan.

oh and I thought that Chris Evans was absolutely dreamy and Scarlett Johansson was just kinda meh
    I like ScarJo in this role. I'm not her biggest fan. In fact, for the most part I think she's no more than ok in everything else I've seen her in, but I think she's good as Romanov.

There were a few scenes where they pulled a closeup of her face/eyes and I thought for a second that I could fall in love with her.

I think Bucky was fantastic as the Terminator-type assassin that becomes conflicted when whatever Hydra does to him starts to wear off and he begins to remember shit. Sebastian Stan has a huge movie deal with Marvel to reprise his role in multiple movies. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with him. He's just an all-around badass.

<== Winter Soldier fan.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 08-03-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I thought there was tons of character development. Granted it was a sequel so the main characters primary motivations' were defined in earlier flicks, but I thought the plot and exposition deepened their development a bit. The newer cats that survived... there'll be more movies. They introduced a few heavy hitters that'll become important in future movies..

For example: SPOILER:

The nurse/SHIELD Agent/Sharon is Peggy Carter's niece, and in the comics she becomes Cap's modern day girlfriend. Talk about keeping it in the family, eh?

Pay attention to Jasper Stilwell when they're on top of the building. He mentions Banner and Strange. That's a pretty clear indicator that Marvel's gonna do Doctor Strange, which should be all kinds of freakin' awesome.

<=== Doctor Strange fan.

I like ScarJo in this role. I'm not her biggest fan. In fact, for the most part I think she's no more than ok in everything else I've seen her in, but I think she's good as Romanov.

There were a few scenes where they pulled a closeup of her face/eyes and I thought for a second that I could fall in love with her.

I think Bucky was fantastic as the Terminator-type assassin that becomes conflicted when whatever Hydra does to him starts to wear off and he begins to remember shit. Sebastian Stan has a huge movie deal with Marvel to reprise his role in multiple movies. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with him. He's just an all-around badass.

<== Winter Soldier fan.

Character development is when we learn about a character either from flashbacks or when the character divulges details about their lives to another character.

This movie had NONE of that

I could cite examples but I think you and I have a different perception on the definition. People running past each other in life and death situations saying two words (usually drenched in machismo) is not development. Nick Fury, Scar-jo's character, the black flying guy....nada. You may have read tons about them or know their backgrounds, the movies gave us nothing. Capt America even makes a small joke when talking to Fury about knowing nothing about him.

Anywho, it was a comic book movie and that's why I mentioned it. Light on character development, heavy on fast action scenes

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    oh and DGX?

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    oh and DGX?

I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Character development is when we learn about a character either from flashbacks or when the character divulges details about their lives to another character.

This movie had NONE of that

I could cite examples but I think you and I have a different perception on the definition. People running past each other in life and death situations saying two words (usually drenched in machismo) is not development. Nick Fury, Scar-jo's character, the black flying guy....nada. You may have read tons about them or know their backgrounds, the movies gave us nothing. Capt America even makes a small joke when talking to Fury about knowing nothing about him.

Anywho, it was a comic book movie and that's why I mentioned it. Light on character development, heavy on fast action scenes
    Not just flashbacks, not just dialog. Character development in a narrative is anything that showcases the central characters' attributes, whether it be via dialog or action... how they react to situations, how a situation challenges their values (Cap's 1930s morals in a modern day world up against Nick Fury's world view; how Cap goes back to the museum exhibit to reminisce about the past and how he makes self-deprecating remarks about him being out of his time, giving you the sense of his loneliness and how he's trying to cope in the face of it all). Character development is also nonverbal actions and reactions that highlights the character's personality and beliefs. You see the marquee actors Cap, Romanov, and Fury react to different situations that highlight their personalities and beliefs. Granted, this isn't Oscar-worthy drama, but it's certainly there. At least it is in my opinion, playing off of the literary standpoint of character development that I was taught back in high school/college writing classes.

Your flashback for Cap was the entire first movie. You learned a little bit more about him in the Avengers. Same thing with Romanov: first in Iron Man 2, then in the Avengers. Same thing with Fury: First a little in Iron Man 1, then in Iron Man 2, then in the Avengers. We know a lot about the 3 marquee actors already, now we throw them in a situation and see how they react, and they in turn showcase their character attributes in how they deal with the situations they're thrown into. They react, they change, they're dynamic. That's character development.

You learned more about Cap when he stands in the museum. He's lonely. He misses his friends/team. When he drops the shield against Batroc during the hostage rescue. As he's avoiding the issue of relationships that Romanov keeps trying to egg him on into. As he reacts to Fury's secrets and plans. When he learns that his best friend is still alive, who he (and the rest of the world) thought was dead. We see him react, showcasing his loyalty to his friend, and his struggle with the idea that his long lost best friend is the enemy. We see the flashback, showcasing Bucky's friendship and how Cap uses it to remind Bucky in their final fight at the end of the film. These are all highlighting elements of his personality.

Fury talks about his grandfather. He talks about the neighborhood he grew up in. He talks about how he lost his ability to trust people when he lost his eye. He didn't mention how or when he lost his eye, but we're assuming that will be covered in his own movie, which I believe is coming down the pipeline later. He talks about why he believes what he believes and how it drives his actions. We see his actions, based on the determinations he makes. We got a little more intimate with Fury in this movie than we had in the past. We learned a lot more about him in this film.

Romanov showcases her willingness to do things that can be morally divergent/ambiguous. She does the things that Cap can't do. We see some of her abilities and her beliefs, and her reaction to learning that she was being used as a tool of an organization she was sworn to fight against. She displays concern for Caps emotional well-being by continually egging him on to date... i.e. we see that she does indeed care about someone other than herself and about something other than the mission, which is new here. She's shown to be a little more human in this flick, more so than she had been in the past.

This is all character development.

The flying black guy (Sam Wilson/The Falcon) is a new bit player. In this film, his role is to help the plot move along and play off of the main character, Cap. He helps Cap cope a little with his loneliness, and helps him with the mission at the end. In this respect he's not a dynamic character. He's not a main character. He's not central to the plot, he just helps it move along. His presence highlights the attributes of the others. His background isn't important to the plot of the movie. He does showcase some loyalty and sense of right and wrong in his actions and interactions, and his sense of humor in some of his early dialog. Granted, it's not huge, but it doesn't need to be. I'm sure his background and characteristics will be expanded on later as he's used more in future movies. As for this one, it just wasn't necessary.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 08-03-2014 at 06:00 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yes I understand what character development is. Marvel comic book movies typically don't focus on that film making attribute If you believe that the movie is chock full of it, great! I however, in my review, my interpretation,... think it was a fast paced, well done action movie without any sort of significant character development or personal interactions that enlightened me as a viewer as to who we were just watching in the scene. It was a friggen comic book movie ffs!!! that's why I made the comment..

Just like Star Wars movies, Expendables movies, Bruce Lee movies...you don't watch them for gripping dramatic insight between the leads, you watch to see some thrilling effects and check yo brain in

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The Lion King

20 years old this year. Nice but not overwhelming graphics, a functional storyline for kids....and singing

Pixar movies have since set the bar with outstanding animation and ideas. Disney always seems one step behind....they're probably subsidiaries of each other anyways.

I give The Lion King a 7 out of 10 and that's adding a +1 pity point for being old.

There were only a few scenes that bothered me (besides all of the cutesy crap and singing)...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    oh yeah!....Scar's Nazi Rally and accompanying song

From jackbooting hyenas and Hitler-esque tall podiums....to a shot that made me LOL....the hammer and sickle moon!!!

WTF is going on here?

Last edited by Hal-9000; 08-03-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: pronoun police