Page 401 of 495 FirstFirst ... 301 351 391 399 400 401 402 403 411 451 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,015 of 7416

Thread: What's the last movie you've seen?

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Saw STAR WARS.

I thought there were a lot of flaws. IT just didn't quite feel like an integrated whole....Characters were built up and disappeared all of a sudden, and other appeared unexplained. Gaps in the story line. No real satisfaction to any aspect. The same repeated scene of the Rebel ships put putting away while their asses get bombed (that was the story line right there ) A bit too much touchy-feely emotional pandering.

Still, I enjoyed the movie all up. I thought the most interesting character was Luke Skywalker, great job by Mark Hamil conveying the same annoying insecure, idealistic ( yet compelling) kid who keeps fcking up. Second favourite character was the lil droid Rest were all fine, just not great. 7/10

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (12-29-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

A dark comedy, with the emphasis on dark. Fantastic movie.

I would have sworn that the Coen Brothers wrote this in their heyday, same tone.

Frances McDormand is great as a grieving mother whose daughter was raped and killed.

Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell also give great performances.

A lot of unexpected moments in this. Recommended.
    Last edited by Hal-9000; 12-28-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: too much c.c.c.c.c...coffee

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

A dark comedy, with the emphasis on dark. Fantastic movie.

I would sworn The Coen Brothers wrote this in their heyday, same tone.

Frances McDormand is great as a grieving mother whose daughter was raped and killed.

Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell also give great performances.

A lot of expected moments in this. Recommended.
    Woody Harrelson? Of the Han Solo movie fame?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Woody Harrelson? Of the Han Solo movie fame?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Justice League

I was never a big comic book reader and have to say that most Superhero movies degenerate into a confusing mess of invincible people throwing each other around into buildings. Killing millions of civilians in the process. Shame on you Superheroes.

There's been the odd Spiderman or Superman or Ironman movie that has some heart and I've enjoyed, but not many.

That being said this movie had both components from the above. Lots of big-ass smackdown scenes, along with a few humorous scenes and a few character scenes.

Ben Assfleck will never be Batman to me, the Cyborg dude was a total CGI mess, as well as most of the Chernobyl CGI scenes looked like bad miniatures. It was an odd mix.

I liked Cavill as Superman, dude who played the flash was funny at times, but overall I just can't care about what happens to people who for the most part, can't be hurt.

Where's DGX??? To me, Aquaman is a dude with blonde hair and a gill suit. He is NOT a big biker looking guy with a beard who drinks whiskey

Wonder Woman is hot, but again...she's just about invincible so where's the real danger?

I was mildly entertained, but would never pay for a movie like this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Justice League

I was never a big comic book reader and have to say that most Superhero movies degenerate into a confusing mess of invincible people throwing each other around into buildings. Killing millions of civilians in the process. Shame on you Superheroes.

There's been the odd Spiderman or Superman or Ironman movie that has some heart and I've enjoyed, but not many.

That being said this movie had both components from the above. Lots of big-ass smackdown scenes, along with a few humorous scenes and a few character scenes.

Ben Assfleck will never be Batman to me, the Cyborg dude was a total CGI mess, as well as most of the Chernobyl CGI scenes looked like bad miniatures. It was an odd mix.

I liked Cavill as Superman, dude who played the flash was funny at times, but overall I just can't care about what happens to people who for the most part, can't be hurt.

Where's DGX??? To me, Aquaman is a dude with blonde hair and a gill suit. He is NOT a big biker looking guy with a beard who drinks whiskey

Wonder Woman is hot, but again...she's just about invincible so where's the real danger?

I was mildly entertained, but would never pay for a movie like this.
    Dee and I talked about the DC shitamatic universe earlier. I'm really disappointed in what they're doing.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I own them and have read them several times. They're by far my favorite long form books by King, except for the way that Flagg died. In fact, the whole subplot surrounding that, to me, was King phoning it in. Other than the Dark Tower series, his short stories are better. Just my opinion.

For what the movie was, there should've been more to it. It didn't have to have everything from all of the books and related short stories, but it felt way too rushed. Should've been a trilogy, at the very least.
    Guess I don't need to read books two-eight now I'm on book one of the Dark Tower series currently.

was looking for your comments with Dee about Justice League movie.......

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i haven't seen justice league yet because my kids have ZERO interest in seeing it i will catch it for free on one of my international flights in 2018

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Saw STAR WARS.
    7/10
    i think you are being pretty generous

11. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-29-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    was looking for your comments with Dee about Justice League movie.......

Justice League

Meh, it was ok. Predictable.

I still say Gal Gadot is a terrible actress.
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i'm surprised you gave dc anymore money

my kids have ZERO interest in seeing that one...
    Joss Whedon was involved in it, and the reviewers were saying that it was better than the earlier crap they put out. I wanted to give it a chance. I sincerely doubt I'll go to see any more of them.

And seriously, she may be eye candy, but Gadot sucks as an actress.

The kid that plays the Flash was pretty good, but the problem is you've already seen all the really funny scenes in the previews. The entire fucking movie was practically in the previews and the fucker was like 2 hours long. Furthermore, it's 2 fucking hours long and it still felt like some junk needed to be fleshed out a little better.

The whole time I'm watching Momoa, I'm thinking of the Big Bang Theory Halloween episode where no one wants to be Aquaman. It's not that Momoa was bad, I just couldn't get Raj out of my head saying, "Man, Aquaman sucks."

The dude who played Cyborg felt like the token black guy. I kinda feel bad about saying that because the guy is supposedly a good actor. But you can't help but compare him to Chadwick Boseman, Anthony Mackie, and/or Don Cheadle. They just had better material to work with.

There were several characters that were cut from the film and I'm really wondering why. How can you cut Willem Dafoe out of a fucking film? He makes the films he's in better!?! Maybe they'll release an extended Bluray or something with more scenes like they did with BvS.

Wait for the down-rent... or it'll probably be out on a streaming service sooner or later.

Oh well, Star Wars will be out in a few weeks. Palate cleanser.
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    thanks for the thorough review. i was debating whether to try to convince my kids to go to it over the next few days when they are off from school, but clearly won't bother

my oldest saw the new thor with his friends, but i have not had a chance yet

BTW: i was in germany last week, so i have a list of movies to add in a little bit
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 12-29-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (12-29-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Guess I don't need to read books two-eight now I'm on book one of the Dark Tower series currently.
    No, they're great books. Read them. My complaint was with the last book and oddly enough, they addressed that complaint in the movie... and I'm still not happy. I guess that's how bad the movie is in my eyes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No, they're great books. Read them. My complaint was with the last book and oddly enough, they addressed that complaint in the movie... and I'm still not happy. I guess that's how bad the movie is in my eyes.
    You kind of dropped a huge spoiler about a main character....

I've already read the series when they came out years ago

I'm pre-prepping myself with a refresher before watching the recent movie. It's been a few years since the first four books came out.

Have to agree. King has done better work.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    To be honest though, most of the movie adaptations of King's books usually fall flat. His writing doesn't really translate well to the big screen. I haven't seen the new It yet, but a lot of people are saying it's good, so my interest is peaked. If a King adaptation is good, then that usually means that the writers and directors have taken massive liberties with the source material. Think Stanley Kubrick's The Shining... half of the junk in the film doesn't go down like that in the book. When they try to follow the book verbatim, the result usually sucks. There's a bunch of examples I can name. I don't think the ideas in his head play out like a movie. Maybe he just can't visualize it. Or maybe we're too desensitized to think the shit in his head is truly horrifying. I'm sure a croquet mallet would hurt, but really? Can you seriously terrorize somebody with it?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    To be honest though, most of the movie adaptations of King's books usually fall flat. His writing doesn't really translate well to the big screen. I haven't seen the new It yet, but a lot of people are saying it's good, so my interest is peaked. If a King adaptation is good, then that usually means that the writers and directors have taken massive liberties with the source material. Think Stanley Kubrick's The Shining... half of the junk in the film doesn't go down like that in the book. When they try to follow the book verbatim, the result usually sucks. There's a bunch of examples I can name. I don't think the ideas in his head play out like a movie. Maybe he just can't visualize it. Or maybe we're too desensitized to think the shit in his head is truly horrifying. I'm sure a croquet mallet would hurt, but really? Can you seriously terrorize somebody with it?
    I've found that King's books were better the first time through. Meaning, on a reread years later they don't seem as shocking or well written as I remember them. There could be other reasons for that, like other authors have stepped up their game and writing in general has improved over the years.

I just reread It, The Stand, and am going through the Dark Tower series now. The Stand in particular is not half as good as I recall. Some might say there's some hack writing in there.

The end of It is/was a mess depending on your taste and King has a bad habit of ending his books badly.

I liked The Shining movie (maybe because of the changes?) and understand your points above. His brand of terror rarely translates to movies. His ideas are still way out there, and I think that's why I appreciate him as an author.

As I get older though, my love for his work seems like a memory of something great you had as a child. You go back to that memory only to find it wasn't that great.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-29-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've found that King's books were better the first time through. Meaning, on a reread years later they don't seem as shocking or well written as I remember them. There could be other reasons for that, like other authors have stepped up their game and writing in general has improved over the years.

I just reread It, The Stand, and am going through the Dark Tower series now. The Stand in particular is not half as good as I recall. Some might say there's some hack writing in there.

The end of It is/was a mess depending on your taste and King has a bad habit of ending his books badly.

I liked The Shining movie (maybe because of the changes?) and understand your points above. His brand of terror rarely translates to movies. His ideas are still way out there, and I think that's why I appreciate him as an author.

As I get older though, my love for his work seems like a memory of something great you had as a child. You go back to that memory only to find it wasn't that great.
    I can agree with this statement in so many ways over many different things other than Stephen King.

When I was a kid growing up in NJ, we used to have supermarket frozen pizza called Ellios. Just rectangular frozen pizza. Nothing special about it. My cousin and I used to inhale those things like the air we breathed. It was so good. I always had fond memories of Ellios pizza back when I was a kid. Fast forward 35 years later, I find Ellios pizza in a local supermarket here in town... and I buy it. I come home, I cook it, I eat it, and it is the absolute worst tasting piece of shit I've ever had in my entire life. I immediately imagine my adult self looking back in time to my childhood self and telling him, "You fucking idiot. What the hell's the matter with you? This is horrendous. Jesus, kid, get a clue."... and the childhood me just looks down at his feet and starts crying.