Page 424 of 495 FirstFirst ... 324 374 414 422 423 424 425 426 434 474 ... LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 7415

Thread: What's the last movie you've seen?

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    I watched John Wick 2 over the weekend, quality action flick

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    We'll probably go this weekend. If you go in the morning before noon here, the tix are only $5.47 each. Much better than the $9 something for the afternoon and the $12 evening/night ticket prices.
    I don't have morning shows here. If I go before 6pm during the regular week (before Thursday, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun is the weekend according to the theater), the weekday matinée is like $4 or $5. That usually means a 4 or 4:30 show. During the summer, they'll have shows starting at noon, but no other time during the year. Life in a small town.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    I think a trailer for John Wick 3 has been released. Let me go see if I can find it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I found it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Re-posting from the chat thread:

If anyone watched and enjoyed Free Solo, this other doc on Netflix called The Dawn Wall featuring one of Alex's climbing partners Tommy Caldwell is excellent too. Not to spoil things but he has an incredible story, captured by terrorists while climbing in one of the 'stan countries and escaped (bravely) when he was 22, chopped off his index finger in a bandsaw accident which couldn't be reattached, and is still considered one of the greatest big wall climbers ever. Very good documentary that tells the story of his free climb (not without rope but without assisted rope climbing) of one of the most difficult routes on El Cap in Yosemite.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Halloween (2018)

Premise is none of the other sequels happened and this is 40 years after the events of the original movie.

I liked how they handled Laurie Strode's character and who she became. Some of the scenes were one for one copies from the first movie, yet the first movie did it so much better.

No reason to see this unless you want to see a where are they now update. Well done but ultimately a homage using some of the same music cues and camera shots.

Judy Greer (Cheryl Tunt from Archer fame) is a surprisingly good actress

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Well, bit the bullet and went and saw it. It helped that tickets early on a Sunday are only $5.67 each But anyways, to the movie. I have to say it wasn't as bad as I was bracing myself for. It wasn't great either though. It was probably somewhere right about average and when thinking about it, I would have to say it's the 'weakest' of all the Marvel movies in the Marvel's Avenger series cinematic universe (IMHO). I was braced for heavy handed SJW/Feminist propaganda throughout the film and really it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's there, and a lot of it, but most of it is more towards the subtle side, but they definitely emphasize "women good/men bad or at the very least men aren't as good as women at most things and there are digs at men all throughout the film. I'm also thinking, just from the limited knowledge I have of Captain Marvel from the comics, that they completely changed her backstory for the movies? Let's just say that I was confused at the whole start of the movie. Also, this movie made her appear to be the MOST powerful of any of the Avengers. You'll see when you watch the movie, there's basically nothing she can't do. And along with the whole 'women are better' theme, there appeared, by the end, very little that she can't/couldn't do, all on her own. It did have some good things though too. It was funny in spots like most Marvel films and it also serves (kind of) as a bit of an origin story for Nick Fury as well (we learn what happened to his eye ). And Samuel L Jackson gets as close to saying his trademark phrase of 'motherfucker' as I think will ever happen in a Marvel film.

Feminist BS notwithstanding, I would say it's a 2-1/2 outta 5 stars kind of film.

Mild spoiler:

We find out where the name 'Avengers' comes from too

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Pony (04-01-2019)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

Not bad, saw it on the plane
    Last edited by PorkChopSandwiches; 04-01-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

I LOVED it!

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Love that series, cant wait for the last one!

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Well, bit the bullet and went and saw it. It helped that tickets early on a Sunday are only $5.67 each But anyways, to the movie. I have to say it wasn't as bad as I was bracing myself for. It wasn't great either though. It was probably somewhere right about average and when thinking about it, I would have to say it's the 'weakest' of all the Marvel movies in the Marvel's Avenger series cinematic universe (IMHO). I was braced for heavy handed SJW/Feminist propaganda throughout the film and really it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's there, and a lot of it, but most of it is more towards the subtle side, but they definitely emphasize "women good/men bad or at the very least men aren't as good as women at most things and there are digs at men all throughout the film. I'm also thinking, just from the limited knowledge I have of Captain Marvel from the comics, that they completely changed her backstory for the movies? Let's just say that I was confused at the whole start of the movie. Also, this movie made her appear to be the MOST powerful of any of the Avengers. You'll see when you watch the movie, there's basically nothing she can't do. And along with the whole 'women are better' theme, there appeared, by the end, very little that she can't/couldn't do, all on her own. It did have some good things though too. It was funny in spots like most Marvel films and it also serves (kind of) as a bit of an origin story for Nick Fury as well (we learn what happened to his eye ). And Samuel L Jackson gets as close to saying his trademark phrase of 'motherfucker' as I think will ever happen in a Marvel film.

Feminist BS notwithstanding, I would say it's a 2-1/2 outta 5 stars kind of film.

Mild spoiler:

We find out where the name 'Avengers' comes from too
    Ok, just got back from this. I'm still turning it over in my head, but my initial reaction is that it was an enjoyable movie up until she unlocked her super powers and started to beat everybody's ass without much problem. I posted a diatribe about the hero's journey before in one of the celeb threads that was dedicated to the media hubbub surrounding this movie and I definitely think it applies to an extent.

I didn't mind so much the all-girl nod to the music of the 90s (except for the one Nirvana song) given that I have pretty much all of those cds anyway. I will just say that if you look deeper, there are far better songs by virtually all of the bands whose music was featured. I got a bit nostalgic when hearing the music though, and seeing the Blockbuster. Damn I miss the 90s. Greatest time of my life.

I'm not gonna say this is the weakest MCU film right now. I'm still thinking it over, but it's on the lower end. I definitely don't think it deserves the accolades that it's getting. Doesn't deserve its ratings.

It's definitely a girl power film. Again, if they follow the paradigms of the mythical hero's journey, they might come up with something a little more satisfying. The overt feminism of the film doesn't bother me so much, as does the ridiculously overpowered nature of the character in her final form. With the way she's portrayed in the film, she's more powerful than Thor. Thor and the Hulk are considered a few of the most powerful heros in the Marvel Universe outside of cosmic beings, and with the crap she was pulling in this film, she's pretty much the MCU's version of Superman x50. We'll have to see what happens in Endgame, because the powers-that-be have stated in interviews that she can't beat Thanos by herself. Maybe the Kree just aren't that powerful? Floating around in space at the end without her helmet... not kosher with that bullshit. It's Princess Leia pulling a Mary Poppins in space all over again. Ronan saying that they'll come back for her as she's a weapon makes me believe that there are limits to her powers and future installments and appearances should showcase those limitations. As it stands, we have two Thors right now. We're gonna have to send two Thors away on side missions during movies so that the rest of the Avengers can fight somewhat evenly against the threats they're gonna face, before the uber powerful Avengers come back in to save the day at the last minute. BUT given that future installments after Thanos have some ridiculously powerful cosmic beings lined up (I read somewhere that we may see Galactus in the future), she probably will have her hands full.

I did like the plot point that the Kree were the bad guys, because they were bad guys in GOTG as well as Agents of SHIELD. I like consistency.

Goose the alien cat was hilarious. Nick Fury gushing over Goose was hilarious. Goose causing Fury's eye injury... not so much. That's not how Fury lost his eye in the comics, but if that's how they're playing it in the MCU, then it makes me think that they're not gonna go ahead with a Fury origin movie, which is something I really wanted to see. So while those parts made me laugh, I'm also a little disappointed.

Fury coming up with the name for the Avengers Initiative... whatever. They've been rewriting junk in every movie so the movies are definitely separate from the comic book details.

Carol Danvers' back story in the film is somewhat similar to what's in the comics. Mar Vell is a male, and Carol got her powers when her DNA fused with his in an explosion. That's not what happened here in the film, obviously.

Let me think about it some more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (04-03-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Dude, after watching that movie, she's more powerful than Thor. Thor needs his hammer, she needs....nothing. Like you said, she's Superman x50 at the very least.

No helmet in space, she flew through that Kree battle cruise ship (whatever it was) like it was paper and made it explode. She's, according to the movie, by far the most powerful of anyone in the MCU.

As far as the feminist stuff, like I said, it was more subtle and while the movie doesn't deserve the accolades it's getting from one side, it definitely doesn't deserve the complete bashing it's getting from the other. But it did get old after awhile, yeah, we get it, she's a girl, she can do it. We know. And even going so far as attributing her with the whole origin of the Avengers name. I mean come on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Dude, after watching that movie, she's more powerful than Thor. Thor needs his hammer, she needs....nothing. Like you said, she's Superman x50 at the very least.

No helmet in space, she flew through that Kree battle cruise ship (whatever it was) like it was paper and made it explode. She's, according to the movie, by far the most powerful of anyone in the MCU.

As far as the feminist stuff, like I said, it was more subtle and while the movie doesn't deserve the accolades it's getting from one side, it definitely doesn't deserve the complete bashing it's getting from the other. But it did get old after awhile, yeah, we get it, she's a girl, she can do it. We know. And even going so far as attributing her with the whole origin of the Avengers name. I mean come on.
    It's funny, because when they initially stated that they were going to make this film, "I was like, 'Really?'" In comic book circles, Carol Danvers is absolutely hated by virtually everybody because she's uber powerful and because she doesn't have the complex back story development that other comic book heroes have. Virtually all Marvel comic book characters not only gained their (limited) powers, but also a reason to use them to help others. Carol Danvers? Nope, she's just kicking ass for the sake of kicking ass and that makes her comic books boring and arrogant. That's why I mentioned the Kree as bad guys thing. In the movie, she gains a purpose to use her (godlike) powers to help somebody (the Skrulls), and that's pretty cool. However, her godlike powers do wear thin, but that would be the same as any guy hero. Hell, even Superman has a weakness that can be exploited. And that's why they keep writing Thor and the Hulk out of Avenger's action sequences. They know if those 2 are always around, there will never be a real challenge. So they get side gigs. Could you imagine Civil War with Thor and Hulk? That's why they were left out. There wouldn't be a Sokovia Accords or any force capable of taking Cap, Bucky, and Sam. The Hulk would shit all over them.

I don't think she's more powerful than Thor. If they write her like that, then they're shooting themselves in the foot. Keep in mind, Thor survived in space after Thanos slaughtered his people and blew his ship up, but I was ok with that because he's Asguardian and they're practically godlike. She's definitely not more powerful than Thanos, and Thor could have killed Thanos. The powers-that-be have stated that she can't take down Thanos on her own. I'm taking their word for it.

If we go back to what Vision said in Civil War during the Sokovia Accords debate: Strength invites challenge. If the MCU sticks to that idea, then her sequels should pit her up against real challenges. We should start seeing some crazy powerful cosmic beings show up across the board. They teased Adam Warlock during the end credits of Guardians 2. He's crazy powerful. Way more powerful than Carol Danvers. There were rumors of the Beyonder showing up in the films at some point, and he's more powerful than everyone except for The One Above All, God of the Marvel universe. The Beyonder is even more powerful than the Living Tribunal (crazy powerful), who's rumored to show up really soon. The Eternals is actually on the docket; it's getting made. Crazy powerful beings. The MCU's going cosmic on a large scale. Personally, I think it's a mistake, but what can you do? I don't run the studios, so I don't make the decisions. Expect the MCU to fall in quality and subsequently public favor and expect the DCEU to start getting better and surpass them over time. They're getting the Fantastic Four and the X-Men back, so if Jean Grey shows up in the MCU and the Phoenix Force takes over, Carol Danvers is toast. The Phoenix Force will slaughter Captain Marvel.

The feminist crap: yeah, they're just pandering to the leftist media with that, but they did that with Black Panther as well. They're branching out to certain demographics so they don't feel left out. That's Hollywood. I suppose there's room for it. I mean we have regular female characters in the Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Gamora... we still have our regular male heroes. Whatever. We don't have to see Captain Marvel sequels if we don't want to. There's plenty of stuff for us to watch, and more coming in the future. Stan Lee would have wanted the Fantastic Four in the MCU and he would have wanted them done right. Expect it to come out now that they got it back from Fox. The same thing goes for mutants. Personally, I don't think Fox did a bad job with the X-Men, but Marvel will do it better. They might not get Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, or Hugh Jackman, but they'll know what to get.

Anyway, the cat was the best character in the film. And Stan Lee reading the script for Mallrats on the train was hilarious. I'm gonna miss that guy.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 04-03-2019 at 11:43 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    It's funny, because when they initially stated that they were going to make this film, "I was like, 'Really?'" In comic book circles, Carol Danvers is absolutely hated by virtually everybody because she's uber powerful and because she doesn't have the complex back story development that other comic book heroes have. Virtually all Marvel comic book characters not only gained their (limited) powers, but also a reason to use them to help others. Carol Danvers? Nope, she's just kicking ass for the sake of kicking ass and that makes her comic books boring and arrogant. That's why I mentioned the Kree as bad guys thing. In the movie, she gains a purpose to use her (godlike) powers to help somebody (the Skrulls), and that's pretty cool. However, her godlike powers do wear thin, but that would be the same as any guy hero. Hell, even Superman has a weakness that can be exploited. And that's why they keep writing Thor and the Hulk out of Avenger's action sequences. They know if those 2 are always around, there will never be a real challenge. So they get side gigs. Could you imagine Civil War with Thor and Hulk? That's why they were left out. There wouldn't be a Sokovia Accords or any force capable of taking Cap, Bucky, and Sam. The Hulk would shit all over them.

I don't think she's more powerful than Thor. If they write her like that, then they're shooting themselves in the foot. Keep in mind, Thor survived in space after Thanos slaughtered his people and blew his ship up, but I was ok with that because he's Asguardian and they're practically godlike. She's definitely not more powerful than Thanos, and Thor could have killed Thanos. The powers-that-be have stated that she can't take down Thanos on her own. I'm taking their word for it.

If we go back to what Vision said in Civil War during the Sokovia Accords debate: Strength invites challenge. If the MCU sticks to that idea, then her sequels should pit her up against real challenges. We should start seeing some crazy powerful cosmic beings show up across the board. They teased Adam Warlock during the end credits of Guardians 2. He's crazy powerful. Way more powerful than Carol Danvers. There were rumors of the Beyonder showing up in the films at some point, and he's more powerful than everyone except for The One Above All, God of the Marvel universe. The Beyonder is even more powerful than the Living Tribunal (crazy powerful), who's rumored to show up really soon. The Eternals is actually on the docket; it's getting made. Crazy powerful beings. The MCU's going cosmic on a large scale. Personally, I think it's a mistake, but what can you do? I don't run the studios, so I don't make the decisions. Expect the MCU to fall in quality and subsequently public favor and expect the DCEU to start getting better and surpass them over time. They're getting the Fantastic Four and the X-Men back, so if Jean Grey shows up in the MCU and the Phoenix Force takes over, Carol Danvers is toast. The Phoenix Force will slaughter Captain Marvel.

The feminist crap: yeah, they're just pandering to the leftist media with that, but they did that with Black Panther as well. They're branching out to certain demographics so they don't feel left out. That's Hollywood. I suppose there's room for it. I mean we have regular female characters in the Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Gamora... we still have our regular male heroes. Whatever. We don't have to see Captain Marvel sequels if we don't want to. There's plenty of stuff for us to watch, and more coming in the future. Stan Lee would have wanted the Fantastic Four in the MCU and he would have wanted them done right. Expect it to come out now that they got it back from Fox. The same thing goes for mutants. Personally, I don't think Fox did a bad job with the X-Men, but Marvel will do it better. They might not get Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, or Hugh Jackman, but they'll know what to get.

Anyway, the cat was the best character in the film. And Stan Lee reading the script for Mallrats on the train was hilarious. I'm gonna miss that guy.
    From a story ranking all 23 of the (main) Avengers:

Last edited by Teh One Who Knocks; 04-03-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Fixed IMG tags

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Well, if they really want to be like that, start looking for DC to capitalize on Marvel's mistake(s).