Page 272 of 328 FirstFirst ... 172 222 262 270 271 272 273 274 282 322 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 4912

Thread: What's the last thing you ate?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

I Took One For The Team: $1 Rib-Eye Steak from Dollar Tree

OK, OK, I know this is supposed to be about life in and around San Francisco and Dollar Tree is a national chain, but there’s also a Dollar Tree in Colma, home of the dead people where we sometimes shop because, well, everything is a dollar. About a month ago I saw a $1 3.5oz rib-eye steak and bought one. It took be a while letting it sit in its frozen state, but last night I actually threw it on the grill and here’s what I found out about it.

First, it’s salty. It’s what foodies would call wet aged since it’s packed in a hermetically sealed plastic with a meat tenderizer mix of salt, ficin [meat tenderizer derived from figs] and bromelin [meat tenderizer derived from papaya that’s different than papin which also comes from papaya]. It was actually very tender after the five minutes it sat on the grill and only had a small area of gristly fat that had to be cut out.

3.5 oz is about the amount of protein that a person should have with each meal according to the medical community even though they also suggest 2 grams per kg of body weight so at 28.35 gms per oz I was a little under my daily intake per day. On first taste there was an obviously processed taste to it. I thought of what an army issued MRE steak would taste like. I’ve never had one, but this would probably come close to it. It was tender, very tender and compared to the top round steak I cooked with it, I actually like it better.

If you’re a person short on money, but love your meat I’d recommend you try it. It’s not anywhere near steak house quality and definitely not something you’d expect from the House of Prime Rib, but for people on a budget for a buck you could do a lot worse. Due to the high sodium content I’d suggest you have a baked potato with it or a salad with avocado so that you get more potassium to flush the excess sodium out. I think we’ll be picking up a few more of those steaks next time we travel down to the land of the dead just because they’re cheap and we can’t at the moment afford Snake River Kobe-styled beef. The $1 rib-eye’s don’t look pretty, but when you toss them on a grill for a couple minutes they’re pretty tasty.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Every review I've read online and every video I've watched talking about the Dollar Tree steak has ended with the reviewer giving the majority of the "steak" that they refused to eat to their dog.

So you've got your 1 review against 50.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Except I actually tried it

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Yeah, but you're the human equivalent of a garbage disposal unit. Some of the crap you've posted that you've eaten has literally made me want to gag. Your opinion doesn't count.

There's a reason why it's being sold for $1 at the Dollar Tree. No other company will touch it with a 10 foot pole.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sorry that I grew up poor and had to get used to eating cheap food and couldn't have caviar and truffles and unicorn sandwiches like you did

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Unicorn sandwiches. FFS.

Bro, there's cheap food, then there's food that should never come close to a human being's mouth. I could see a homeless person eating a $1 steak from The Dollar Tree, but I'm talking about starving people with little to no options. Even as a poor college kid, I wouldn't touch Dollar Tree food with a ten foot pole. I'd scour the couch for loose change and opt for the cheapest bargain menu items at fast food joints instead. You're a grown adult making a decent living. There's no good reason, regardless of how you grew up, that you should be willingly eating stuff like this now.

Tell me it was a dare that your buddies, or even your step-daughter, thrust onto you, and I'd understand. But the way you phrased this, it was an off the cuff choice, and that's messed up. I wouldn't buy the pet food from the Dollar Tree. Again, it's there for a reason...

And for the record, I didn't grow up rich. I've never had caviar or truffles... or unicorn sandwiches either. Maybe I'll get to eat a unicorn sandwich someday...

Seriously, what does your wife say when she sees you eat stuff like this?

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    a nectarine

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A beef burrito with just about everything on top of it. It was gooooood.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Had Quiznos for lunch because it was nearby and I was in a rush... rant time.

I spend entirely too much eating out for lunch so I know- you can get a LOT of nice food from places downtown for well under $10... there's a curry place that gives a tray amazing food for $9, a sushi place that gives you 3 rolls and soup for $7.99, the Korean place has platters of kimchi and japchae for $7, the bagel place makes fresh sandwiches for $5, the ladies at the Chinese place give me enough food for 2 people for $9... I could go on forever.

But Quiznos came to $12 for a regular sandwich (nothing fancy, no cheese), small chips and regular drink. It's not the extra $2 that bugs me - it's just the principal of thing thing. Their lunch is nowhere near good enough to be twice the price of Subway. No wonder they're all going bankrupt in the US (or so I'm told).

Assistant Shelter Dweller allsmiles's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Halibut at the Bear's Den

Thank you, Jezter, for my signature :-)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A beef xxl grilled stuffed burrito, no beans, from Taco Bell.

Yep, still too salty.

I might as well just start making this junk myself. I'm never gonna be happy with their crap.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Toasted and buttered banana walnut bread

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    A beef xxl grilled stuffed burrito, no beans, from Taco Bell.

Yep, still too salty.

I might as well just start making this junk myself. I'm never gonna be happy with their crap.
    It's Taco Bell ffs

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Canadian bacon, egg, and cheese on an English muffin. (Frozen from Aldi's)
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.