Thread: What's the last thing you ate?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts

Pasta with garden veg and fried haloumi cheese

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-02-2020), Muddy (01-27-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Made honey garlic chicken with roasted potatoes last night. One pan meal, made with the trusty cast iron skillet. Came out awesome.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-07-2020), Muddy (02-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Oatmeal

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post

Pasta with garden veg and fried haloumi cheese
    Awesome! Love the view from you place too, looks peaceful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (02-07-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    The hottest freakin' pepperoncini I've ever had in my life. Jesus, my mouth is on fire. I already drank 3 glasses of water inside of 5 minutes.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    The hottest freakin' pepperoncini I've ever had in my life. Jesus, my mouth is on fire. I already drank 3 glasses of water inside of 5 minutes.
    That's funny, they're not usually very hot but every once in a while you just get smoked by an overpowered pepperoncini or jalapeno eh Been there.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Jerk chicken that I made

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Try milk to combat spicy. Water doesn't help

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Made pork chops in the cast iron, and then did a sage, garlic butter to top it off. It was good but I think I need to brine the pork chops for a few hours or something. They were nice chops, and I cooked them nicely with a meat thermometer and got them off at the right time but they were still a bit tough.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Made pork chops in the cast iron, and then did a sage, garlic butter to top it off. It was good but I think I need to brine the pork chops for a few hours or something. They were nice chops, and I cooked them nicely with a meat thermometer and got them off at the right time but they were still a bit tough.
    Too funny, I made pork chops in the cast iron skillet on Saturday. The chops were in the freezer a wee bit too long, slightly freezer burned, but not really too bad yet. Brining seems to be a lot of work for what it is, so what I did was make basically a marinade, but it was more of a paste than liquid. I used peanut oil (mostly because of the high smoke threshold of peanut oil, it can get REALLY hot before it starts to fill your house with smoke and set off the smoke alarms like olive oil or vegetable oil will do), thyme, minced garlic, and parsley flakes. Add in some salt and pepper and combined it all. It should end up being a semi-thick paste like consistency. I put it on thick on both sides of the chops and let them sit at room temp for about 45 to 60 minutes.

Then added peanut oil to the cast iron over medium high heat and seared the chops for about 1 minute each side. Then sear the edge to render the fat. Turned down to medium and cooked the chops on each side, flipping every 60 to 90 seconds to cook evenly. And there was where I cooked them probably about 2 minutes too long, because they ended up being overdone when we sat down to eat. But at the point where you think they are done, add a couple of tablespoons of butter and some sprigs of fresh sage into the cast iron. Turn off heat and tilt the pan once the butter is melted and baste the chops for about a minute or so.

Even though the chops came out over, they were still flavorful and not dried out, so they were at least edible. I'll definitely try it again sometime and try and not overcook them.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Too funny, I made pork chops in the cast iron skillet on Saturday. The chops were in the freezer a wee bit too long, slightly freezer burned, but not really too bad yet. Brining seems to be a lot of work for what it is, so what I did was make basically a marinade, but it was more of a paste than liquid. I used peanut oil (mostly because of the high smoke threshold of peanut oil, it can get REALLY hot before it starts to fill your house with smoke and set off the smoke alarms like olive oil or vegetable oil will do), thyme, minced garlic, and parsley flakes. Add in some salt and pepper and combined it all. It should end up being a semi-thick paste like consistency. I put it on thick on both sides of the chops and let them sit at room temp for about 45 to 60 minutes.

Then added peanut oil to the cast iron over medium high heat and seared the chops for about 1 minute each side. Then sear the edge to render the fat. Turned down to medium and cooked the chops on each side, flipping every 60 to 90 seconds to cook evenly. And there was where I cooked them probably about 2 minutes too long, because they ended up being overdone when we sat down to eat. But at the point where you think they are done, add a couple of tablespoons of butter and some sprigs of fresh sage into the cast iron. Turn off heat and tilt the pan once the butter is melted and baste the chops for about a minute or so.

Even though the chops came out over, they were still flavorful and not dried out, so they were at least edible. I'll definitely try it again sometime and try and not overcook them.
    That's really funny, sounds like we basically had the exact same dinner last night I didn't marinade like you did, I'll do that next time - but did the sage and garlic from the marinade burn at all during the cook? That's what I was worried about especially in the ripping-hot cast iron, so I just kept it simple with salt and pepper and a high smoke-point oil like you, and then did the sage/garlic/butter after the chops came out of the pan to rest.

Pork chops are just hard to cook right I think... I remember hating them as a kid because my dad always overcooked them on the grill. Only in the last few years has he gotten really good at cooking them, so there's still hope for me

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Big Mac.

God they're so damn good. I try and avoid eating fast food, I love it to death and don't hate on it at all, but as a formerly chubby teenager I'm just scared of making it a habit..... but once or twice a year I'll go through the drive-through and shamefully crush a Big Mac, fries and a coke.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's really funny, sounds like we basically had the exact same dinner last night I didn't marinade like you did, I'll do that next time - but did the sage and garlic from the marinade burn at all during the cook? That's what I was worried about especially in the ripping-hot cast iron, so I just kept it simple with salt and pepper and a high smoke-point oil like you, and then did the sage/garlic/butter after the chops came out of the pan to rest.

Pork chops are just hard to cook right I think... I remember hating them as a kid because my dad always overcooked them on the grill. Only in the last few years has he gotten really good at cooking them, so there's still hope for me
    I scraped off some of the garlic into the pan before I seared the chops just so the garlic wouldn't burn. Then when basting at the end, you end up with the garlic back on the chops. Worked out well, they seared great and no burn. And you're right, pork is SUPER easy to overcook. I like mine closer to medium rare/medium, right on that edge. Especially since food safety sites have now said that it's perfectly safe to eat pork cooked that way. Once you get into medium and beyond, it really just isn't good.

Big Mac.

God they're so damn good. I try and avoid eating fast food, I love it to death and don't hate on it at all, but as a formerly chubby teenager I'm just scared of making it a habit..... but once or twice a year I'll go through the drive-through and shamefully crush a Big Mac, fries and a coke.
    My guilty pleasure at McD's is the Quarter Pounder.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bought a nice 4.5 lb boneless Angus prime rib roast to make this weekend.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Bought a nice 4.5 lb boneless Angus prime rib roast to make this weekend.
    Prime rib....came out better than I expected. Crusted it with a mixture of butter, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic. Came out a really nice medium rare, with it a bit more towards rare in the center, but about as perfect as I could hope for. Deeeee-licious.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-17-2020)