Thread: What's the last thing you ate?

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Very true, I use mine sparingly because they're heavy and a pain, but it's worth pulling out once in a while for the sear eh?

The Lodge pre-seasoned one hold up without having to totally redo the seasoning if you're careful. I have a couple and fucked up the first one really quickly, so I did a fair bit of reading I've found the trick is to keep your washing and soap to a bare minimum, and dry it right away. One drop of soap (or none if it's not too dirty) and a quick warm water wash with a non-abrasive scrubber. Then I'll often dry it on the stove set at the lowest setting for a couple minutes (occasionally with a thin application of veggie oil) to make sure it's 100% dry and not just air drying. Seems to keep the seasoning up for a long time.
    I have an 8" that I ONLY use for eggs, gets used every day and I just wipe it & re-oil after breakfast. That 12" is a bohwemoth and yep, used sparingly when the sear is a must. I've been using canola oil to season mine, its got a higher smoke point than a lot of other oils.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

Godfather (12-19-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    I have an 8" that I ONLY use for eggs, gets used every day and I just wipe it & re-oil after breakfast. That 12" is a bohwemoth and yep, used sparingly when the sear is a must. I've been using canola oil to season mine, its got a higher smoke point than a lot of other oils.

Firmly agree on canola. Kids these days are all about these healthier oils... but they have low smoke points so you're ironically you're probably eating carcinogens when you cook with something like coconut oil that has a much lower smoke point.

Funny say you use yours for eggs, I have to admit that's the one food I still always go with a non-stick pan for just because it has such a tendency to stick. But I guess you can get those real nice crispy edges like diner style eggs when you use a cast iron, so I should just give it a go.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (12-29-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Standing prime rib roast w/ gravy, onion potatoes, broccoli, buttered biscuits (and gravy)

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,887 Posts
    Standing prime rib, fresh spinach, mashed potatoes, and black eyed peas. Quit simply the finest meal my wife has ever made.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-26-2020), FBD (12-29-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Mexican food

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Wife finished a long stint with no days off, so I spent the day making her favorite meal: pizza from scratch.

Made the sauce a few days beforehand with good canned san marzano tomato, garlic, bit of sugar and a few herbs (no cook sauce this time, I'm now a convert). Just used a hand blender and let it sit in the fridge. At first I thought the taste wasn't going to work compared to when I cook down my pizza sauce, but after a day or two it was obvious that it was even better than a cooked pizza sauce.

Used all fresh veg from a nice market, ham from the local deli, low moisture pizza mozzarella, and fried Italian sausage. My dough recipe is fairly basic, but has olive oil and some apple cider vinegar in the crust which I think make it stretchier and brown better. Cooked it on a pizza stone in my oven which goes to 550f after giving it an hour to pre-heat fully.

Fucking awesome. My best homemade pizza yet.

Also made another one with just basil and fresh mozzarella and shaved parm which I forgot to take a pic of, but it was actually even better.

Pic of how it turned out:
    Last edited by Godfather; 12-28-2020 at 03:23 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-28-2020), FBD (12-29-2020), lost in melb. (01-06-2021), PorkChopSandwiches (01-12-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (12-28-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Day old sauce is always better... it's like a law of nature or something. Awesome, GF.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

FBD (12-29-2020), Godfather (12-30-2020)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Firmly agree on canola. Kids these days are all about these healthier oils... but they have low smoke points so you're ironically you're probably eating carcinogens when you cook with something like coconut oil that has a much lower smoke point.

Funny say you use yours for eggs, I have to admit that's the one food I still always go with a non-stick pan for just because it has such a tendency to stick. But I guess you can get those real nice crispy edges like diner style eggs when you use a cast iron, so I should just give it a go.
    They seem to only tend to stick if the pan is either not hot enough when you put the eggs in, or its really hot and 3 eggs all make a single formed crispy layer that almost always gets in the way of flipping them without breaking the yolk

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Stewed beef cubes with mashed potatoes and gravy with broccoli.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Chicken Parmesan with bow-tie pasta.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Mushroom ravioli.

When I worked in a restaurant years ago, we had this unreal ravioli which we served with a basic red sauce, some balsamic reduction and olive oil. Admittedly we cooked from frozen (most stuff was fresh made I swear) It was just a Sysco product. I emailed them once to find out where it comes from but they wouldn't tell me.

Ever since then I've been trying every mushroom ravioli I can find in stores and delis, but nothing comes close. Might have to try mushroom duxelle ravioli from scratch myself

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Mushroom ravioli.

When I worked in a restaurant years ago, we had this unreal ravioli which we served with a basic red sauce, some balsamic reduction and olive oil. Admittedly we cooked from frozen (most stuff was fresh made I swear) It was just a Sysco product. I emailed them once to find out where it comes from but they wouldn't tell me.

Ever since then I've been trying every mushroom ravioli I can find in stores and delis, but nothing comes close. Might have to try mushroom duxelle ravioli from scratch myself

Have you tried this? It's as close to fresh as you can get at the grocery store as it's refrigerated and not frozen. The wife and kid both like this brand.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (01-13-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

Have you tried this? It's as close to fresh as you can get at the grocery store as it's refrigerated and not frozen. The wife and kid both like this brand.
    Dude, do you have access to my Alexa or something? That's literally the exact brand I tried for the first time last night, bizarre.

It was good, one of the better store-bought I've had. Still just doesn't have something that I'm looking for that I can't quite put my finger on from that dish back at the restaurant. But very good recommendation, thanks bud.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Dude, do you have access to my Alexa or something? That's literally the exact brand I tried for the first time last night, bizarre.

It was good, one of the better store-bought I've had. Still just doesn't have something that I'm looking for that I can't quite put my finger on from that dish back at the restaurant. But very good recommendation, thanks bud.

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    some flamin hot tangy cheese doritos