Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your Current Phone? Pros and Cons?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,846 Times in 8,183 Posts
    I've always felt a computer is for net surfing and emails...I have a desktop pc at work and home so I'm covered that way.

I pay under 30 dollars a month for almost unlimited voice and texts so in my world, that's pretty cheap for a 3 year plan.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Belle View Post
    They should come up with a phone for the "younger" market.
    Perhaps, but how would it be different? The BB Pearl is slim, small and not a full keyboard, it probably fits that mold best

But they're never going to have the app store Droid and Apple have, that's not their selling point. And I'm fine with that, I like Blackberry's for other reasons.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Perhaps, but how would it be different? The BB Pearl is slim, small and not a full keyboard, it probably fits that mold best

But they're never going to have the app store Droid and Apple have, that's not their selling point. And I'm fine with that, I like Blackberry's for other reasons.
    That's cool then. As long as you like it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I've always felt a computer is for net surfing and emails...I have a desktop pc at work and home so I'm covered that way.

I pay under 30 dollars a month for almost unlimited voice and texts so in my world, that's pretty cheap for a 3 year plan.
    I can check my email from my phone and that's really all I need.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Blackberry Bold 9700

Pros:
    Has a sensor track ball, doesn't have the problems the previous trackballs had
    Email & all that fun stuff
    Sturdy
    full keyboard- good for text messaging

Cons:
    Not a slim little phone, same as the other blackberry phones

hmm... it's not a bad phone

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My bb Tour is just like it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    My bb Tour is just like it.
    Tour has the trackball though right!? I almost bought one, mine is basically the smaller version of the tour

Damn lots of blackberry... we should start a BBM/PIN group if we get a couple more I love Blackberry Messenger because not only is it 100% free and doesn't use up data, it's quite private. Aside from your profile name which you can chose (mine is only my given name, no surname), there's no personal information tied into it and the PIN code is unique to the phone, not you. Pretty awesome
    Last edited by Godfather; 02-21-2011 at 07:47 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    I'd love a smartphone with android OS, but not if I have to sacrifice call quality.
    Call quality has virtually nothing to do with the OS. It is 99% hardware related. It is about the antenna quality, placement and ofcourse then the speaker and mic. What the OS does to that then is that it controls the signal levels, but if the hardware is shitty, what can you do. Since we can't pump out huge amounts of power or our ears would fry. So you can still have smartphone, Android or any other, as long as you make sure the phone is quality. Nokia is famous for excellent quality hardware. Sadly, the software is not up to par...yet...in the smartphone business. In dumbphone business, they still pwn.
    CONS

- made by people like Jezter
    Ouch.
    I love Blackberry Messenger because not only is it 100% free and doesn't use up data, it's quite private. Aside from your profile name which you can chose (mine is only my given name, no surname), there's no personal information tied into it and the PIN code is unique to the phone, not you. Pretty awesome
    That is pretty awesome, I have to say that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Tour has the trackball though right!? I almost bought one, mine is basically the smaller version of the tour

Damn lots of blackberry... we should start a BBM/PIN group if we get a couple more I love Blackberry Messenger because not only is it 100% free and doesn't use up data, it's quite private. Aside from your profile name which you can chose (mine is only my given name, no surname), there's no personal information tied into it and the PIN code is unique to the phone, not you. Pretty awesome
    Yeah, it has a trackball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezter View Post
    Call quality has virtually nothing to do with the OS. It is 99% hardware related. It is about the antenna quality, placement and ofcourse then the speaker and mic. What the OS does to that then is that it controls the signal levels, but if the hardware is shitty, what can you do. Since we can't pump out huge amounts of power or our ears would fry. So you can still have smartphone, Android or any other, as long as you make sure the phone is quality. Nokia is famous for excellent quality hardware. Sadly, the software is not up to par...yet...in the smartphone business. In dumbphone business, they still pwn.

Ouch.

That is pretty awesome, I have to say that.
    I understand about software vs hardware, but it seems smartphones are geared more toward apps & bells & whistles rather than making sure antenna placement is optimal. And, I haven't been able to find anybody or anywhere that addresses this issue.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, it has a trackball.

I understand about software vs hardware, but it seems smartphones are geared more toward apps & bells & whistles rather than making sure antenna placement is optimal. And, I haven't been able to find anybody or anywhere that addresses this issue.
    Well...to have those bells and whistles to work, smartphones are connected to the Net at all times basically..so they do indeed need a good signal. Except if we talk about iPhone and its antenna fiasco...that is what happens once you stop copying what Nokia was doing with their antennas and put more effort into the bells and whistles, which they then lock so you can't fully utilize what the phone could be capable of doing...and so you end up with an iPhone.
    You should maybe look into some Nokias? They are traditionally very good with the signal and such and if most "surfin" you do is email, then Nokias can do that just as well as any others. Or you could even go as far as getting a femtocell for your home and that way ensure a good signal.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    i have an iphone 4 right now. but am NOT an apple snob, only reason for getting it was they were gonna charge for HTC's and the dude said he could do my iphone for free. im tight so went with it!

i've never had any of the call dropping problems that was made such a scandal. as soon as i got the phone i got a protective case on it as you'd be mad not to with all its smooth shiny surface. and i dont hold it like you have to to get the call drop, but would love to meet the guy who said "i know, lets put the phone antenna in the bottom of the phone" and give him a

the only Con i have isnt down to the phone, the area i live in is right at the end of the signal range so i only really get one or two bars MAX on a good day, was the same with my old Nokia, but like i said thats not down to the phone, but if im at home i just use the wi-fi for web stuff.

have had HTC's in the past and am a big fan of them. if i dont stick with an iphone when my upgrade is next due it will probably be a HTC. i couldnt give a rats ass about what operating system my next phone runs. i use it as a phone and PDA, sometimes a satnav, but beyond that its a phone! yes its nice to have some bells and whistles but im not bothered that much about them. i think i have about 10 apps on mine.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    HTC Desire - Android 2.2

pros - love it!
    cons- battery

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    I agree, Hal. I just want to surf the net on my phone in emergencies...vacationing in the woods etc. So my phone is the LG Rumour 2, and I "pay as I go". It has a QWERTY keyboard that slides out for easy texting...though it's my wife who's the texter, not me.

This is a nice, just a step up from the bottom phone. 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth (syncs with my Garmin GPS in the car) Adequate sound quality. I put in a 4GB Micro SD card and I've not come close to filling it yet. I like being able to program the arrows to do whatever functions I want them to do. I love the built-in EZ Tip calculator and it has a good quality speakerphone.

I used to have a Samsung phone that was one of the first camera phones, which had GREAT sound quality. Still have it, but didn't like paying $40 to Bell for a phone I hardly used. This one barely costs me $20 a month and I got the phone at FutureShop at a scratch and dent sale - there's a hairline scratch on the back of the thing that you'd never see so I bought the phone for $25 instead of the $80 they wanted for no plan.
    Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 02-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,846 Times in 8,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    I agree, Hal. I just want to surf the net on my phone in emergencies...vacationing in the woods etc. So my phone is the LG Rumour 2, and I "pay as I go". It has a QWERTY keyboard that slides out for easy texting...though it's my wife who's the texter, not me.

This is a nice, just a step up from the bottom phone. 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth (syncs with my Garmin GPS in the car) Adequate sound quality. I put in a 4GB Micro SD card and I've not come close to filling it yet. I like being able to program the arrows to do whatever functions I want them to do. I love the built-in EZ Tip calculator and it has a good quality speakerphone.

I used to have a Samsung phone that was one of the first camera phones, which had GREAT sound quality. Still have it, but didn't like paying $40 to Bell for a phone I hardly used. This one barely costs me $20 a month and I got the phone at FutureShop at a scratch and dent sale - there's a hairline scratch on the back of the thing that you'd never see so I bought the phone for $25 instead of the $80 they wanted for no plan.
    Exactly...a user has to be honest and say - what do I really need the phone for?

I'm atypical of most phone users because I only want...a phone

The one I use would be great for kids as they're sturdy, not really for data and a total messaging phone.
    So the kid could have a reliable phone (battery life is awesome without net stuff, once every 5 days to plug in)
    that texts with a full keyboard.

I know guys at work that pay 80 or 100 a month for Blackberrys and they only use the phone functions...and the other stuff to look cool
    If you have to browse or email on the run, then getting a high ender like an HTC or blackberry is of course necessary.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If you only want to check email and surf a little, a high-ender is most definitely not needed... pretty much all phones do those these days... It is sad how the high-end phones end up being used like gameboys really. It is all about how many apps you can shove in it... so why don't these people just get a PSP ffs.