vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Old School Poll: Young people see online slurs as just joking

57 percent say they're "trying to be funny"; Overweight picked on most
    By CONNIE CASS, JENNIFER AGIESTA - The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Is it ever OK to tweet that a girl's a "slut"? How about using an offensive name for gays on Facebook? Or texting a racial slur? Most young people think it's all right when friends are joking around with each other, according to a new poll.

Jaded by the Internet free-for-all, teens and 20-somethings shrug off offensive words and name-calling that would probably appall their parents, teachers or bosses. And an Associated Press-MTV poll shows they don't worry much about whether the things they tap into their cellphones and laptops could reach a wider audience and get them into trouble.

Seventy-one percent say people are more likely to use slurs online or in text messages than in person, and only about half say they are likely to ask someone using such language online to stop.

"On Twitter, everybody's getting hit hard. Nobody really cares about nobody's feelings," said Kervin Browner II, 20, a junior at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich. "You never know how bad it hurts people because they don't say anything."

But young people who use racist or sexist language are probably offending more people than they realize, even in their own age range. The poll of 14- to 24-year-olds shows a significant minority are upset by some pejoratives, especially when they identify with the group being targeted.

"It's so derogatory to women and demeaning, it just makes you feel gross," Lori Pletka, 22, says about "slut" and more vulgar words aimed at women. The Southeast Missouri State University senior said other terms regularly offend her online, too — slurs for black people, Hispanics, and gays or lesbians.

Fifty-five percent of those surveyed say they see people being mean to others on social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace. And 51 percent encounter discriminatory words or images on those sites.

But they mostly write off the slurs as jokes or attempts to act cool. Fifty-seven percent say "trying to be funny" is a big reason people use discriminatory language online. About half that many say a big reason is that people "really hold hateful feelings about the group."

That may be why even the most inflammatory racist slur in the AP-MTV poll — the "N-word" — didn't rouse a majority of young people. Only 44 percent said they'd be very or extremely offended if they saw someone using it online or in a text message. Thirty-five percent said it wouldn't bother them much, including fully 26 percent who wouldn't be offended at all.

Among African-American youth, however, 60 percent said they would be offended by seeing the N-word used against other people.

Four in 10 young people overall said they encounter that word being used against other people, with half of those seeing it often.

Other derogatory expressions are more common and accepted. Majorities see "slut" and "fag" used against others, and only about a third consider them seriously offensive.

But 41 percent of women deem "slut" deeply offensive (jumping to 65 percent if it's used against them specifically), compared with only 28 percent of men. And 39 percent of those who are gay or know someone who is gay are seriously offended by the use of "fag," compared with 23 percent of all others.

Demeaning something with "that's so gay" is so common that two-thirds of young people see it used, and the majority aren't offended at all, despite a public service ad campaign that tried to stamp out the anti-gay slang.

A similar effort to persuade kids not to use "retard" hasn't hit home with half of those surveyed, who don't find the word even moderately bothersome. Twenty-seven percent are seriously offended, however.

Some teens just text the way they talk. Calling each other "gay" and "retarded" is routine in high school, says Robert Leader, 17, a senior in Voorhees, N.J. So teens text it, too.

But constantly seeing ugly words on their electronic screens may have a coarsening effect. "It's caused people to loosen their boundaries on what's not acceptable," Leader said.

What group gets picked on the most? Those who are overweight.

And slurs against the overweight are more likely to be considered intentionally hurtful than slights against others; 47 percent say these comments are meant to sting.

Muslims and gays also are seen as targets of mean-spiritedness.

In contrast, only a third say discriminatory words about blacks are most often intended as hurtful, while two-thirds think they are mostly jokes. And 75 percent think slurs against women are generally meant to be funny.

It's OK to use discriminatory language within their own circle of friends, 54 percent of young people say, because "I know we don't mean it." But if the question is put in a wider context, they lean the other way, saying 51-46 that such language is always wrong.

Yet four out of 10 young people have given little or no thought to the ease with which their electronic messages could be passed to people they didn't expect to see them; less than a quarter have thought about it a lot.

Two-thirds haven't considered that what they type could get them in trouble with their parents or their school. But it happens.

A 13-year-old Concord, N.H., girl was suspended from school for posting on Facebook that she wished Osama bin Laden had killed her math teacher. The University of Texas Longhorns dismissed a sophomore football player for his racial slam against Barack Obama on Facebook after the 2008 presidential election. And a Harvard law student's email to friends, suggesting that blacks might be intellectually inferior, was forwarded across the Internet, prompting the law school dean to publicly denounce it.

"People have that false sense of security that they can say whatever they want online," said Pletka of Cape Girardeau, Mo. "Anything that you put into print can be used."

The AP-MTV poll was conducted Aug. 18-31 and involved online interviews with 1,355 people ages 14-24 nationwide. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3.8 percentage points.

The poll is part of an MTV campaign, "A Thin Line," aiming to stop the spread of digital abuse.

The survey was conducted by Knowledge Networks, which used traditional telephone and mail sampling methods to randomly recruit respondents. People selected who had no Internet access were given it for free.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Everyone needs to just relax.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    This political correctness bullshit needs to stop, seriously.

I've been a belligerent bastard my entire fucking life, way before I ever found out about the internet, and it isn't going to stop any time soon.

Next thing you know, we're gonna end up with those little fucking swear machines from Demolition man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    This political correctness bullshit needs to stop, seriously.

I've been a belligerent bastard my entire fucking life, way before I ever found out about the internet, and it isn't going to stop any time soon.
    Exactly

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    idk...I agree with a lot of this...

I saw a Facebook group page created because one girl hated another.Hated girl's name was in the title along with words like slut and whore throughout and some pics of her.
    Almost all of the text was derogatory terms aimed at the girl...

after reading it I got the sense that the girl who created it was very brave...when the other girl wasn't there to defend herself against the slurs
    Keyboards do make you braver it's true.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    idk...I agree with a lot of this...

I saw a Facebook group page created because one girl hated another.Hated girl's name was in the title along with words like slut and whore throughout and some pics of her.
    Almost all of the text was derogatory terms aimed at the girl...

after reading it I got the sense that the girl who created it was very brave...when the other girl wasn't there to defend herself against the slurs
    Keyboards do make you braver it's true.
    Hal, normally I agree with ya, but don't confuse cyber bullying with being belligerent.

Me jokingly calling someone an asshole is completely different from putting some rant post on facebook or twitter.

There's a big difference between, "Hi asshole", and "I hate that asshole and he should die."

I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh for sure but what I was taking about is the same thing too....that girl wouldn't have stood there and said the same things.She obviously didn't because she took the time to make the page.

Keyboards make you brave... and in turn, you use words in text that you wouldn't in normal face to face conversations.The N word, fag etc...

ie Lots of people take shots at me here calling me the ghey names (which is in jest and I understand and welcome it ) but I don't think too many would stand in front of me and call me a fag to my face...

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    ... but I don't think too many would stand in front of me and call me a fag to my face...

Would you hit a guy in a wheelchair wearing glasses?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I was waiting and expected a more robust response on that post....

Hell yeah..I don't discriminate.You could be in a chair, wearing glasses, look like Lance and I'd still take a swing if you pissed me off

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I was waiting and expected a more robust response on that post....

Hell yeah..I don't discriminate.You could be in a chair, wearing glasses, look like Lance and I'd still take a swing if you pissed me off

Damn.

*Cancels trip to Canada*

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    You guys are all assholes. That's why I like this site

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

Damn.

*Cancels trip to Canada*

You'd roll on up here just to approach me in person and then say - fag?

at least I'll know who you are at that point

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    You guys are all assholes. That's why I like this site
    I went to the online dictionary site and was amazed that they had the C word listed.Even more interesting is the perception of the word throughout the world.
    The description gives some history and says that Brits use it in everyday speech, where other countries still find it vulgar and disgusting

and then I hit the little speaker icon and listened to a nice lady say it phonetically for my edification...57 times

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You'd roll on up here just to approach me in person and then say - fag?

at least I'll know who you are at that point

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts

I wouldn't.. I take a fair amount of shit from people for the sake of keeping the peace.. Sometimes it truly isn't worth it..