Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My ISP is screwing me without flowers...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    Good questions, Jez...I only know from what I read. Here are 2 websites I bookmarked. They pertain to my area but the principles should hold steady for anywhere. I know that Canadian regulations stipulate that the local stations must broadcast over the air as well as be available on cable.
    Thanks buddy, I'll read while on the way to classes tomorrow. And what better time since I have antenna tech. as first classes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Now after reading the links.. I gotta say the first link atleast is pretty bs stuff to me. The second is not so convincing either, however, atleast in the second link the writer talks about the TV having to have built-in digituner for that stuff...cuz you really need something to crunch down the bits the antenna receives. Which then proves that the stuff is compressed just as is the stuff that comes from the cable, since digital hardly ever is uncompressed. And definitely something like HD video+audio needs to be compressed to be delivered OTA or in the cable. Or else it would take way way way too much bandwith to be viable.
    What else is a bit off is the build of the antenna, especially in the first one. Perforated reflector and a shoebox? Really? Get outta here wif you old nigga rigs... the second one is alteast close to Yagi, which could work. However, the spikes need to be much better aligned and measured. For that, we need the frequence the signal is broadcast. Also, we need a lot more little parts to go with it than just a piece of wood and coathangers. Which is why you are better off just buying one from the RadioShack. At least it is a proper one. So I don't even understand what is the idea behind building one yourself? Weird stuff.