#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Cool Amazon unveils $199 Kindle Fire tablet

By PETER SVENSSON, AP Technology Writer

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos on Wednesday showed off the Kindle Fire, a $199 tablet computer, challenging Apple's iPad by extending its Kindle brand into the world of full-color, multipurpose devices.

Bezos also took the opportunity to show off a new line of Kindle e-readers with black-and-white screens and lower prices, further pressuring competitors like Barnes & Noble Inc. that are trying to break Amazon.com Inc.'s dominance in electronic book sales.

The Kindle Fire will go on sale Nov. 15. It's about half the size of the iPad, making it a close match with Barnes & Noble's Nook Color tablet, which came out last year. But while Barnes & Noble sees the Nook Color as jazzed-up e-reader, Amazon has broader goals for the Fire, as a platform for games, movies, music and other applications.

Even before its release, the Kindle Fire was heralded as a worthy competitor to Apple's iPad. Amazon is nearly unique in its ability to sell content such as e-books, movies and music suited for a tablet — just like Apple does.

But competing with Apple won't be easy. Many have tried to copy the iPad's success, but so far, it is the overwhelming front-runner in the tablet computer category. Apple sold 28.7 million of them from April 2010 to June 2011. Analysts at research firm Gartner Inc. expect the iPad to account for three out of four tablet sales this year.

The Fire runs a version of Google Inc.'s Android software, used by other iPad wannabes, and will have access to applications through Amazon's Android store. Unlike the iPad, the Fire doesn't need to be backed up on a PC. Instead, it backs up its contents wirelessly on Amazon's servers.

"That model that you have to back up your own content is a broken model. We want to take responsibility for that," Bezos said in a dig at Apple. He was speaking at a press event in New York.

Amazon's cheapest new Kindle will cost $79, and dispenses with the keyboard the Kindles have carried since the first model launched in 2007. Previously, the cheapest Kindle cost $114.

Amazon is also bringing out the first black-and-white Kindle with a touch screen. It will cost $99 and is reminiscent of Barnes & Noble's latest Nook. A version with access to AT&T's cellular network for book downloads will cost $149.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I bet they will win this war, hit the correct price point, no contract required, all ready have a full webstore.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 869 Posts
    Exactly, iPad's are toast. They can't compete with the lower prices, so they're suing everyone on bullshit patent claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser
    murder my ass..shove it up my ass....both are beautiful terms of endearment

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    It'd be awesome if someone brought their own unique product to the market, instead of always chasing the competition.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    It'd be awesome if someone brought their own unique product to the market, instead of always chasing the competition.
    You do realize that a handheld tablet device isn't Apple's invention don't you?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post
    Sadly, most people do think that, but I believe HP was the first tablet maker.

I already have your name on my butthole...too bad the tattoo artist couldn't spell
    Looser

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thelancinator View Post

Oh who's is it?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    According to wikipedia, microsoft came out with the fully functional tablet pc back in 2000/01, but then again, apple's ipad isn't really "fully" functional now is it?

Looser

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    According to wikipedia, microsoft came out with the fully functional tablet pc back in 2000/01, but then again, apple's ipad isn't really "fully" functional now is it?
    That's how Apple works...take something that already existed for years and make it shine = instant success.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samarchepas View Post
    That's how Apple works...take something that already existed for years and make it shine = instant success.

Kinda like what Microsoft did when they ripped off IBM..

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And so "IT" begins....

Looser

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    The Amazon App store is going to hurt it... for this reason it seems like some analists are saying it won't kill the iPad Hope it's wrong

But this is exciting. I told a friend of mine "dude, I know you want an iPad, but check out the Amazon Fire. Pretty sexy device"
    He said "No, the money is not the problem, I just want the best ipad, not an inferior product"

I just gave him an "...lol" and carried on with my day.

Otherwise it's perfect... 8gb is a little small and a camera would be nice but whatever. $199 is a VERY sexy price.
    Last edited by Godfather; 09-29-2011 at 04:48 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    The Amazon App store is going to hurt it... for this reason it seems like some analists are saying it won't kill the iPad Hope it's wrong

But this is exciting. I told a friend of mine "dude, I know you want an iPad, but check out the Amazon Fire. Pretty sexy device"
    He said "No, the money is not the problem, I just want the best ipad, not an inferior product"

I just gave him an "...lol" and carried on with my day.

Otherwise it's perfect... 8gb is a little small and a camera would be nice but whatever. $199 is a VERY sexy price.
    That's the mindset of the crApple sheeple...anything made by crApple is perfect and nothing can compare, even in the face of the facts that there are superior products out there that cost a whole lot less than crApple products.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm fairly sure the new amazon tablet will shake up the market quite a bit, but it seems to me that there's still a lot of room for other competitors. It all depends on what people want to do with their tablets. If they want one for reading ebooks, a simple Kindle will do just fine, while the kindle fire is neither fish nor flesh, really. it doesn't have the e-ink screen ad its hardware is too weak to do much more than e-mail, brwose crippled web sites and watch movies in mediocre resolution.

But then again the ipad is a huge success even though it has many limitations, so who knows what the next hype will be?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyGut View Post
    Oh who's is it?
    stanley kubrick's. there's a scene in Space Odyssey where the astronauts watch TV on tablet devices.